DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 questions about finding and filming an apex ...

PalmettoAerial

Reactions
I appreciate all of the feedback I have been getting in here ...

2 quick questions -

if I am lokkkng for a stand alone peak or "small mountain" to film what is the best app or map to use to locate one? I have googled and searched for elevation apps but I would like to find isolated peaks.

What modes do most use to film such a shot? For example if I wanted to capture some nice footage of a mountain home near the top of a ridge, what would be the most smooth, symetical way of capturing it while rotating around ? Point of interest? Orbit?

For something as big as a peak, I personally wouldn't use any 'mode', I would use the classic cinematic techniques like the reveal, the climbing turns, sideways flight, etc. YouTube is a awesome resource for this, just search for "Mavic 4K Cinematic" and watch the floodgates open. Simple tips include slowing your gimbal way down, dumb down the stick input responses, etc. and be knowledgeable about ALL of your camera and gimbal settings - what they mean and how they affect your shot. And of course, share the result HERE! Have fun, make great video.

For something as big as a peak, I personally wouldn't use any 'mode', I would use the classic cinematic techniques like the reveal, the climbing turns, sideways flight, etc. YouTube is a awesome resource for this, just search for "Mavic 4K Cinematic" and watch the floodgates open. Simple tips include slowing your gimbal way down, dumb down the stick input responses, etc. and be knowledgeable about ALL of your camera and gimbal settings - what they mean and how they affect your shot. And of course, share the result HERE! Have fun, make great video.

Thank you for th quick reply.

Would you mind sharing with me What you would use settings-wise for a sunny mountain/apex shot and one early morning foggy shot of the sunrise over a river? Just curious how you would alter settings between the two.

And I have been a YouTube junkie the last two weeks - lots of helpful info on there. I have noticed that most vids discuss the settings more than they show the interface & that about a dozen or so I have watched that do show the app interface and how to tweak the settings must be from an older firmware, so the look, labels, etc are slightly different from what I am seeing.

I do appreciate your feedback. My first test flight out of the box was completely washed out. So bright. So white. Then I dialed it in a bit and looks better but I believe I confused my shutter setting and the kelvin temp. The shots I have gotten on the last flight were usable but almost pitch black if I added any kind of filter on the camera. I am guessing my shutter error was to blame. Still on flight 5 so a work in progress....

Also I have tweaked my sticks to be much smoother however I am a little confused when it comes to the stick/yaw Gain versus the rotation speed. I have modified both according to a couple YouTube videos I have watched however the drone still turns rather quickly

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242