DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Questions for a new member

Eagle430

Reactions
Hello , new member here I wanted to ask 2 questions if anyone can help me with

1. I am looking at pgytech tablet holders, I have an 8inch tablet and I bought a tablet mount that the tablet is placed in front of the controller through eBay. However the mount is so hard and tight to place it on the controller that I ended up scratching it, also I don't know if it can intervene with the reception as it's on top of the antennas. So I thought to invest on a better one, and I want to ask if anyone is using the pgytech that are sold through DJI stores, how are they?

2. I ve read a few threads for the dreadful battery becoming loose issue, this has happened to my first drone a parrot bebop 2, I was using an after market battery and there was some wind, battery became loose -motors switched off and the drone felt. I thought this was not an issue with Mavic 2 pro and original batteries but from what I read it happened to some people. Is there any way to help prevent this from happening? ( I bought my drone used so it's not entitled for DJI refresh so I want to keep it as safe flying as possible)

The Pgytech holder can give you some hazzle regarding how the arm is kept unfolded during use ... when I made my investigation before buying a holder for my Mavic Air it was numerous people that complained about it folding during use as the arm is only held open with friction ... I went with below instead, that one can't change position when holding the tablet & is also delivered with a aluminium nut.

https://www.amazon.com/Hanatora-Aluminum-Alloy-Foldable-Lanyard-Platinum/dp/B07XJS7WPS

1615363676820.png

Then a bit info I compiled regarding batteries in another thread regarding a Mavic 2 Pro crash where the battery got ejected ...

1615363884744.pngAnd in order to really safe out that the battery doesn't get pushed out, a lot of M2 pilots use a velcro strap around battery/drone to keep it secured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
The reports of the battery popping out are very few, and it seems that many / most of those are batteries that popped out because the batteries swelled, something that happened more often to a certain batch of batteries manufactured in 2018 (and you're unlikely to end up with any of those).

You can still (reportedly) cause a battery to swell if you do certain unrecommended things, like charge a battery right after flying, while it's still hot from use; don't do that.

And yeah, if you're still paranoid, you can use the velco strap, but be sure to get one that does not block the bottom obstacle sensors when you put it on.

Chris

Reactions: Droniac
Hello , new member here I wanted to ask 2 questions if anyone can help me with

1. I am looking at pgytech tablet holders, I have an 8inch tablet and I bought a tablet mount that the tablet is placed in front of the controller through eBay. However the mount is so hard and tight to place it on the controller that I ended up scratching it, also I don't know if it can intervene with the reception as it's on top of the antennas. So I thought to invest on a better one, and I want to ask if anyone is using the pgytech that are sold through DJI stores, how are they?

2. I ve read a few threads for the dreadful battery becoming loose issue, this has happened to my first drone a parrot bebop 2, I was using an after market battery and there was some wind, battery became loose -motors switched off and the drone felt. I thought this was not an issue with Mavic 2 pro and original batteries but from what I read it happened to some people. Is there any way to help prevent this from happening? ( I bought my drone used so it's not entitled for DJI refresh so I want to keep it as safe flying as possible)
Welcome t the forum!

1. I purchased a similar pad mount as the PGYTECH and scrapped it because it wouldn't hold my iPad Air 2. The leverage was just too great for the mount to handle. I did some additional research and bought a MavMount which I absolutely love. Cost is a bit more but worth it in my opinion/situation. It balances nicely and provides a multitude of mount positions regarding angle since it is on a ball similar to a RAM mount system. It moves freely when the nut is loosened and locks into place without movement all in one place to adjust and no tools required. The latest MavMount is configured to mount in a MM1, MM2, MA, MA2, MP, M2P so is very versatile. They also have several size holders depending on what size pad/phone you have. I added heavy duty velcro to the back of my iPad and the mount to ensure the heavy tablet doesn't wind up on the ground potentially damaging it, the cable, the controller or the connection point. I also have a small piece of velcro wrap that I tie the mount to the RC. These two things allow me to carry the entire assembly around my neck so I have both hands free to carry the drone and anything else to the takeoff point without worry of any of it falling to the ground. My pad is mounted directly over the RC and I have never had an experience where it negatively affected transmission except possibly on my MM1, which has poor range to begin with.
IMG_7319.jpgIMG_7320.jpg

2. My understanding of the issue that has occurred to some regarding the battery popping out in flight THAT WASN'T CAUSED BY SWELLING was due to the battery not being completely seated in the retaining clips as well as reports of the springs not being strong enough to fully latch. Newer firmware will now warn you if the battery is not fully seated. I personally have not had any issue with batteries popping out in flight but have had a couple of issues getting the battery not fully engaged warning due to error on my part with the addition of accessories that were being pinched between the battery and drone. Since I have remedied the issue of the accessories getting pinched, have not gotten that warning.

One other recommendation, use a USB A to whatever your tablet/phone connector is and leave the port on the side of the RC out of play for anything except charging it. It's a fragile port and have proven to become damaged over a period of time and requires replacement of the button board inside the RC to fix it. I have read in another post that this cost one user $300 to have DJI fix it. Many folks use a magnetic charge cable and leave the magnetic tip in the RC charge port at all times. I haven't been successful in locating one that is deep enough to actually engage the port properly. I just ordered some 18" lightning to USB A cables for flying so as to not have so much cable to manage as a stock charge cable.

Happy Flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom