DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2019 iPad mini with a Mavic Mini?

I just found this post, which answers a lot of questions regarding which iPad mini to purchase based on the functionality you're looking for: Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

The only caveat is that this post is regarding the DJI GO app, not DGI Fly, the latter of which is what the Mavic Mini uses, but I'm assuming it's still applicable.

That sucks! Given the multitude of devices use to fly DJI drones, I'm surprised they don't allow you to set the aspect ratio.
The problem is not really the program but the device. You cannot properly display a 16:9 ratio image on a 4:3 ratio screen. If you fill the width, then there are black bars top and bottom. If you fill the height, you are clipping off the left and right sides of the video. If you fill the width and stretch the image vertically to fill the height, you are distorting the image.

The problem is not really the program but the device. You cannot properly display a 16:9 ratio image on a 4:3 ratio screen. If you fill the width, then there are black bars top and bottom. If you fill the height, you are clipping off the left and right sides of the video. If you fill the width and stretch the image vertically to fill the height, you are distorting the image.
If that's the case, would I be better off going with an iPad air instead or will that be too bulky when paired with the Mavic Mini controller?

If that's the case, would I be better off going with an iPad air instead or will that be too bulky when paired with the Mavic Mini controller?
While it would give you a larger image, it is still a 4:3 aspect ratio, so it would have black bars/wasted space on the screen and of course, it would need a mount since it would not fit in the arms of the controller. I prefer Android and went with a Samsung S5e which has an aspect ratio which better suits the 16:9 video size. It is brighter than the iPad Mini. It is a 10.5" tablet with very narrow (5/16") bezels, so little wasted space for the size of the tablet. It does require a mount. It has GPS built in without buying a cellular model and cost me less than an iPad Mini.
Go4 app on Samsung S5e:

Attachments

• s5e.jpg
    s5e.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: RavenManiac
Wow! That's pretty solid and it checks all of the boxes. The only problem is I know nothing about the Android OS.

When you fly with it do you tether it to a cell phone?

Ok, sounds good. May I ask which tablet mount you're using?
I have tried a couple of different ones but not really happy with them, too many extra parts to assemble. I may design and 3d print something that folds flat on the back of the tablet. Lately, I have been using the tablet mostly with a Parrot Anafi and I have adapted it to fit the controller without a separate mount.

I'm sure eventually DJI will add optimization for tablet screen resolutions and aspect ratios. Right now that's not their priority, particularly considering they didn't provide a USB port for standard data cables. I bet our developing workarounds caught them by surprise.

This is made with a Dji Mavic Mini 64GB. Have shared internet from my phone. Instead of the internet in your ipad spend more money on bigger memory.

Last edited:
Just for reference here is a screen capture of the Ipad Mini 4 screen with Fly. The used diagonal measurement is about 7.2" or 183mm. So even cropped still larger than most phones.

Attachments

• Ipad Screen.jpg
    Ipad Screen.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 33
Just for reference here is a screen capture of the Ipad Mini 4 screen with Fly. The used diagonal measurement is about 7.2" or 183mm. So even cropped still larger than most phones.

I can live with that. If you had to do it over would you still purchase the iPad mini or get something larger? Also, is your iPad mini cellular-enabled?

Size comparison, iPad Min vs Samsung S5e vs Large Phone. The Fly app does not fill the iPad Mini screen, leaving black bars top and bottom because the Mini has a 4:3 ratio screen size. The usable size of the video image is about 7.2" diagonal.The largest cell phones have a listed size of 6.8" but not all of that is usable. These phones have an 18:9 aspect ratio so a 16:9 ratio image cannot use the full display. The usable diagonal is really about 6.18". The Fly app does seem to fill the display on the 10.5" S5e which has a 16:10 aspect ratio, but the usable size of a 16:9 image is actually 10.2", so there is a little unused space top and bottom. This tablet has very narrow bezels, so for the overall size of the tablet you get a high percentage of the space used.

Attachments

• Display Size Comparison.jpg
    Display Size Comparison.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 27
  • s5e vs Mini 16x9 vs cell screen size.jpg
    s5e vs Mini 16x9 vs cell screen size.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Oglo
@LivinLarge, I really appreciate you putting all of this together. Unfortunately, I am so immersed in the Apple ecosystem with all of my other equipment that, for me, I really think it's better to stick with an Apple product.

That said, how does an iPad Air factor into all of this? Is that similar to the s5e in size and usable Fly app screen space? I think my biggest concern with going with a larger tablet is that it might be too bulky for the iPad mini controller. Has that been a problem for you with the S5e?

I just purchased an Ipad Pro 11 to use it with my Mavic Mini. It will arrive tomorrow. I will update how works.

@LivinLarge, I really appreciate you putting all of this together. Unfortunately, I am so immersed in the Apple ecosystem with all of my other equipment that, for me, I really think it's better to stick with an Apple product.

That said, how does an iPad Air factor into all of this? Is that similar to the s5e in size and usable Fly app screen space? I think my biggest concern with going with a larger tablet is that it might be too bulky for the iPad mini controller. Has that been a problem for you with the S5e?
Here is a relative size comparison of the S5e and iPad Air. Note tha the Air has a 4:3 aspect like the iPad Mini so not really optimum for 16:9 video feed. Like any of the larger tablets, it will not fit in the arms of the remote, it will require some kind of extra mount and probably a lanyard. I understand your reluctance to change systems. I have always been a PC/Android guy. I reluctantly purchased the iPad Mini because everyone said it was the best. I sold it 2 days later.
Hope you find something that meets your needs.

Attachments

• S5e vs ipad air.jpg
    S5e vs ipad air.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I am just getting the pro because of the 600 nits VS the 500 nits in regular or iPad mini. The DJI controller is 1000 nits.

@LivinLarge, you are making this a difficult decision for me. :) So if I get the S5e I don't need a cellular-enabled model, correct? Also, how is the Andriod version of the Fly app? Some people have said it's not as refined as Apple iOS.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair