DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2019 iPad mini with a Mavic Mini?

So I was in the process of purchasing a 2019 iPad mini 64GB tablet for use with my new Mavic Mini when I was informed by Verizon Wireless that I would require a $20/mo. Tablet Line Access Fee. While I struggled to justify $120/yr. for cellular service just to fly my Mavic Mini, $240/yr. is too much.

So what's the alternative?

Can I simply buy a 2019 iPad mini 64GB standard Wifi model and connect it to my iPhone X via a mobile hot-spot when flying or is that a problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
I use the iPad Mini 4 (2016) on the Mavic 2, Mavic Air, Spark, Mavic Pro Platinum and I can bet my bottom dollar if I were using it with my Mavic Mini which I dont own yet it would work fine.... just my gut instinct....BTW, I dont have the Cellular model, just wifi. But I dont have to have wifi to fly using the iPad mini.. it's only used when I need to download maps.

So I was in the process of purchasing a 2019 iPad mini 64GB tablet for use with my new Mavic Mini when I was informed by Verizon Wireless that I would require a $20/mo. Tablet Line Access Fee. While I struggled to justify $120/yr. for cellular service just to fly my Mavic Mini, $240/yr. is too much.

So what's the alternative?

Can I simply buy a 2019 iPad mini 64GB standard Wifi model and connect it to my iPhone X via a mobile hot-spot when flying or is that a problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
I am hoping to use my ipad for the MM as well. I use it with P4 and it works great.

Hi all,

Can someone please clarify what exactly won't work with a device that has no GPS chipset?

What about RTH? Does the RC have a GPS of it's own?

Thanks

Hi all,

Can someone please clarify what exactly won't work with a device that has no GPS chipset?

What about RTH? Does the RC have a GPS of it's own?

Thanks

GPS mobile device is mainly used for Follow Me and to reset the Home Point to the current RC location if you have moved after taking off

Out of curiosity, do the other DJI apps for the Mavic 2 Pro allow you to adjust the screen's aspect ratio?
The DJI Go 4 App for the Ipad mini has its own optimized version. It doesn't allow you to change the screen size, but it is automatically optimized. In fact, for photos it is a better shape than a mobile phone screen if you shoot 4:3, as it fills the entire screen space.

The DJI Fly App does not yet have an official ipad version, so is merely upscaling the iPhone app, hence why resolution and screen ratio are slightly off. Hopefully that will get resolved in time, but I t still functions fine. Once it is optimized like the Go 4 App it will not be an issue.

I use the iPad Mini 4 (2016) on the Mavic 2, Mavic Air, Spark, Mavic Pro Platinum and I can bet my bottom dollar if I were using it with my Mavic Mini which I dont own yet it would work fine.... just my gut instinct....BTW, I dont have the Cellular model, just wifi. But I dont have to have wifi to fly using the iPad mini.. it's only used when I need to download maps.

I use iPad mini 4 and works beautifully. You can cache maps so don’t really need iPad with GPS/ cellular.

I really appreciate all of the responses that have been posted.

To make sure I'm clear on this, ideally what I need is to find an iPad mini (4 or 5) with Wifi+Unlocked Cellular for the primary reason of the built-in GPS. There is no need for cellular service. If I get this GPS-enabled device then I will have the functionality I'm looking for, including iPad orientation and Mavic Mini triangulation should it go down.

Is that correct?
Are you happy with the 4....

You don't need an internet connection to fly.

You don't even need the latest iPad Mini, rev 4 works just fine.

You do need Rev 4 or later for certain. Though I do think Litchie works with earlier versions.

Reactions: Ztopgun28
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus