DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

22 flights and never lands where it takes off

shamelin73

Reactions
I bought one of the landing pads from DJI and thought that would help. I am coming from the GoPro Karma and it never really landed in the same place as it took off. I bought the MPP because I wanted to be able to take photos inside gyms at times. Karma was to hard to try this inside.

I thought with the cameras and sensors the MPP has it would land on the landing pad. I have had it about 4 feet above and reset the home point but it never lands on the pad. It gets close sometimes but most of the time it is a foot or 2 off.

Is there a trick to this? Everything has been calibrated as I can tell.

Make sure you read the manual on this subject. Also make sure there is no magnetic interference or metal around like rebar. I have an MPP that lands within a few inches of the take-off point. It could be a defective drone, but in most cases it is software settings..

"A foot or 2" is about as good as it gets. Surprising people would even expect better than that.

Are you sure you do the proper procedure for the "precision landing" feature?

Reactions: shamelin73
I bought one of the landing pads from DJI and thought that would help. I am coming from the GoPro Karma and it never really landed in the same place as it took off. I bought the MPP because I wanted to be able to take photos inside gyms at times. Karma was to hard to try this inside.

I thought with the cameras and sensors the MPP has it would land on the landing pad. I have had it about 4 feet above and reset the home point but it never lands on the pad. It gets close sometimes but most of the time it is a foot or 2 off.

It sounds like you have it set for "Land Near Me" and you had moved a little - instead of "Land at Take Off Position"

I’d recommend that you forget about using RTH and learn to fly your drone manually, you should always be able to land back on your landing pad then.

I haven’t had a problem with RTH. You can also correct its course and landing area while RTH is activated.

I hover over takeoff point for a few seconds before flying off. I think it helps when you climb vertically vs. going into an immediate forward flight.

Reactions: shamelin73
Make sure you read the manual on this subject. Also make sure there is no magnetic interference or metal around like rebar. I have an MPP that lands within a few inches of the take-off point. It could be a defective drone, but in most cases it is software settings..

I thank you. I did get the small LZ pad and it does have a metal ring I think in for the frame. I wonder if that may be what is causing this.
I will do some more reading.

"A foot or 2" is about as good as it gets. Surprising people would even expect better than that.

Are you sure you do the proper procedure for the "precision landing" feature?

I will have to do more reading on the precision landing. I was expecting more as it does have dual cameras and radar on the bottom for this purpose.

Suggest you take off straight up for at least 20-30 meters before moving on so the Mavic can get a good shot of your take off environment. I do land within inches of takeoff point, not feet, Also, make sure your RTH is set to the take off point, not your location. Those are two different settings. And be sure no metal is around to interfere with the sensors. Try changing your takeoff location. If all 22 flights were from the same spot I'd suggest there is interference there.

I’d recommend that you forget about using RTH and learn to fly your drone manually, you should always be able to land back on your landing pad then.
I will definitely practice more. I am new with this drone as I just left the Karma I was expecting more from the landing aspect.

Suggest you take off straight up for at least 20-30 meters before moving on so the Mavic can get a good shot of your take off environment. I do land within inches of takeoff point, not feet,
I have just been doing the auto take off but did see the option for the prisition take off that mentions the 20-30 meter take off. I wonder if that will be where my issue is?

Thank you all for the help. I will be reading the manual a little more. This Mavic is much more than the Karma was as far as being a drone. I am really liking this setup with the Crystalsky 5.5.

I haven’t had a problem with RTH. You can also correct its course and landing area while RTH is activated.

I hover over takeoff point for a few seconds before flying off. I think it helps when you climb vertically vs. going into an immediate forward flight.
I did notice that you do have some control in the landing while its in the RTH. I have been just doing the normal take off not the prisition option. I have let the drone hover for a minute or so before moving.

You need to have the precision option checked to get closer to your take off point. You will ONLY see the precision landing check box if you use auto take off. Are you manually taking off?

That will improve your accuracy. Try these things and let us know. Good luck.
I may also get the larger LZ pad. With all the telemetry the dron reads before it takes off the small ring around the frame of the LZ may affect this. I mainly for the pad to keep grass and sand from the drone on take off and landing.

Reactions: Yooper2nc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98