DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

24 satellites to ATTI mode.....Uh-Oh!

davedrone 178

Reactions
Not sure what happened. About a mile out with a normal homepoint verified takeoff.
Then here a beep or two then she's in ATTI mode. Have no idea what happened but wan't easy getting her back with no horizontal distance showing. Did I possibly push a button and what steps could I
take to minimize this for the future like some calibrations?

Not sure what happened. About a mile out with a normal homepoint verified takeoff.
Then here a beep or two then she's in ATTI mode. Have no idea what happened but wan't easy getting her back with no horizontal distance showing. Did I possibly push a button and what steps could I
take to minimize this for the future like some calibrations?

Follow the instructions from this site and share if you wish.

Other members may provide additional information after reading the data.

Likely was not caused by pushing any buttons. , but lost signal do to it being blocked or Possibly running into a Geo Zone and no Calibrating will help with that.

So at 5000 ft you really need a clear line of sight or some Elavation to keep that signal strong .were you over water or flying over tree or buildings as that will make a big difference.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on water.

Likely was not caused by pushing any buttons. , but lost signal do to it being blocked or Possibly running into a Geo Zone and no Calibrating will help with that.

So at 5000 ft you really need a clear line of sight or some Elavation to keep that signal strong .were you over water or flying over tree or buildings as that will make a big difference.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land on water.
Was near large buildings. Was it possible I accidentally canceled a RTH after losing signal?

Im sure there was some panic involved but more than likely there were some warning signs that the signal was getting weaker, and the only thing you can do really is gain alt and make sure your RC is pointed well.

The fact that you got it back is amazing as I have lost Drones in Atti and not a fan.
Chalk this up to just part of the Learning Curve.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Reactions: twickers14
Quick tip for flying around or near tall buildings; make sure your rth altitude is set to higher than the surrounding buildings.
I think you hit on the problem. I was flying near my regular buildings but took at off at place I normally don't take off so I was much lower in the sky when I lost signal. Probably lower than the tallest nearby building and my return to home would not have covered that height. My RTH is set at 300 ft. but I'm normally much higher near those buildings when taking off at my usual take off spot.

I think you hit on the problem. I was flying near my regular buildings but took at off at place I normally don't take off so I was much lower in the sky when I lost signal. Probably lower than the tallest nearby building and my return to home would not have covered that height. My RTH is set at 300 ft. but I'm normally much higher near those buildings when taking off at my usual take off spot.
I've had a few close calls flying here in the city. Stay safe

If you lost GPS because tall buildings blocked GPS reception, it would have regained GPS as soon as the drone was back in the open.
Post flight data if you want to find out more about the incident.

I am having some difficulty understanding how the signal being blocked between the controller and drone could cause ATTI mode. If my understanding of ATTI mode is correct it is that for ATTI the drone loses connections with the satellites. This would make stability in wind an issue and RTH impossible, but still should retain the ability to have collision avoidance. It should still respond to a command to climb. Being deep between buildings could, however, be like flying deep into a canyon where satellites at an angle would be dropped out. In that case the OP could have been right there with the controller close to the drone and had the same issue. Only climbing would restore a satellite lock.

I encourage the OP to post his log so that our gurus can educate us on what we all could avoid. The M3 has a robust Occusync connection which I have yet to have interrupted, but I worry about the M3’s dependence upon so many satellites.

I am having some difficulty understanding how the signal being blocked between the controller and drone could cause ATTI mode.
It cannot.
There is no relation between the control signal between the drone and controller and GPS satellite signals.
I encourage the OP to post his log so that our gurus can educate us on what we all could avoid.
If you want to maintain GPS reception, all that matters is that the drone is out in the open with a clear view of more than half the sky.
I worry about the M3’s dependence upon so many satellites.
That there are so many GPS sats, means there is less worry.
Losing GPS is very rare and requires either a hardware fault or flying where the skyview is blocked by terrain or obstacles.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian