DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3D drone Model - DroneDeploy v Autopilot

TheDigitalDove

Reactions
EDIT - (Previous message was redundant and my edit simply replaces it in its entirety)

Hi All
i am new to mapping and 3dModelling but pursue it with great zeal.

I am testing 3d Drone modelling with a Mavic Pro, iOs and Dronedeploy as my preference but also Autopilot software to create high resolution 3d Models. I have discovered, as seems obvious, that a top down "Nadir" map is not sufficient for the sides of the structure or targets whether elevated or depressed and thus orbital flights at lower elevations are required .

i have only tested briefly DroneDeploy and Autopilot. DroneDeploy has a simple great , easy to use interface and can get up and running very easily. It has an after-app market of add-ons and i have added a beta app to help calculate the range of overlap of shots needed for a given altitudes and quality, but it does not allow for recapture of "Oblique" shots or shots that are required to correct irregularties in the model if its own efforts to do so require more after.

Given my laymans knowledge" one automated flight plan can be created and so far does it very well but with limitations that do not allow it to be used for sophisticated high res 3d modelling without additional flights needed wither orbital or zipline using the DJIGO4 app, and that where the problems arise. I have not checked it it can do an orbital rather than a crisscross as i could run a second plan but its important that its orbital as it would be lower than the centre of the structure

1. does anyone know how to match what is required using an intelligent POI flight mode on DJIGO4 app that i would use for a subsequent orbital flight and that might help me undestand the best same overlap, the best camera angle and other factors, and how to actually achieve those

2. does anyone recommend Autopilot ( or other software) which also cannot set one flight plan and all that is required for a fully autonomous capture of a 3d model at the quality i seek. So in this instance i set multiple flight plans that can be executed in sequence and does allow and orbital plan . I dont yet have the advanced skills yet to understand how to set the overlap of photos required , or a good flight speed and the camera angle , but welcome anyone who could provide maths for given how many photos per second are required for a flight speed and given circumference and altitude . i will hope to find this in settings

3. Should i consider other software ( remember ios only) and do they address the hoped for solution

So Dronedeploy is a joy to use , easy, and will clearly in future address these matters for a fully automated flight, Autopilot seems like a tool offering more advanced tools but much great sophistication required to master the great model . i have capture good models in both with relative ease

thanks much in advance
WELCOME chat/debate/opinion on the subject

Last edited:
EDIT - (Previous message was redundant and my edit simply replaces it in its entirety)

Hi All
i am new to mapping and 3dModelling but pursue it with great zeal.

I am testing 3d Drone modelling with a Mavic Pro, iOs and Dronedeploy as my preference but also Autopilot software to create high resolution 3d Models. I have discovered, as seems obvious, that a top down "Nadir" map is not sufficient for the sides of the structure or targets whether elevated or depressed and thus orbital flights at lower elevations are required .

i have only tested briefly DroneDeploy and Autopilot. DroneDeploy has a simple great , easy to use interface and can get up and running very easily. It has an after-app market of add-ons and i have added a beta app to help calculate the range of overlap of shots needed for a given altitudes and quality, but it does not allow for recapture of "Oblique" shots or shots that are required to correct irregularties in the model if its own efforts to do so require more after.

Given my laymans knowledge" one automated flight plan can be created and so far does it very well but with limitations that do not allow it to be used for sophisticated high res 3d modelling without additional flights needed wither orbital or zipline using the DJIGO4 app, and that where the problems arise. I have not checked it it can do an orbital rather than a crisscross as i could run a second plan but its important that its orbital as it would be lower than the centre of the structure

1. does anyone know how to match what is required using an intelligent POI flight mode on DJIGO4 app that i would use for a subsequent orbital flight and that might help me undestand the best same overlap, the best camera angle and other factors, and how to actually achieve those

2. does anyone recommend Autopilot ( or other software) which also cannot set one flight plan and all that is required for a fully autonomous capture of a 3d model at the quality i seek. So in this instance i set multiple flight plans that can be executed in sequence and does allow and orbital plan . I dont yet have the advanced skills yet to understand how to set the overlap of photos required , or a good flight speed and the camera angle , but welcome anyone who could provide maths for given how many photos per second are required for a flight speed and given circumference and altitude . i will hope to find this in settings

3. Should i consider other software ( remember ios only) and do they address the hoped for solution

So Dronedeploy is a joy to use , easy, and will clearly in future address these matters for a fully automated flight, Autopilot seems like a tool offering more advanced tools but much great sophistication required to master the great model . i have capture good models in both with relative ease

thanks much in advance
WELCOME chat/debate/opinion on the subject
I will often use both the DroneDeploy app and Pix4d app for a single model. I use DD for the grid pattern, then I use PIX4d because it allows you to do orbital and freeflight. That way I can fly around to the spots that I need without worrying about snapping the pictures.

Then just upload all of the pictures to the DD website.

Once Drone deploy has done it's automatic flight, you can take manual photos from any angle and add them to your upload either initially or later and have your model rebuilt.
This was a great tutorial that showed this:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR