DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3d printed accessories

3rd version, fits well. Yes I appreciate the cost of shipping to the states is going to be more than the part, if you can get one printed locally for a decent price then go for it. Like i said, I dont want to make money doing this , just cover postage and a box.

If your talking British Pounds thats like about $9 US so thats still cheaper then what they charge online for one at $15 +

3rd version, fits well. Yes I appreciate the cost of shipping to the states is going to be more than the part, if you can get one printed locally for a decent price then go for it. Like i said, I dont want to make money doing this , just cover postage and a box.

Thanks - I just sent it to a local printer using 3DHubs.com. $10

We'll see how it turns out.

Steve

Anyone have any luck printing a hard case? like
Mavic Box by Vonjet Or DJI Mavic Pro Hardcase by sebastian_de

I'd love to have one, just don't have a 3D printer, all the online services cost over $100 to print :(
IMG_20170103_160629.jpg
2dc3160f4cfe735028b90fbe734e26c2.jpg

Got one printed :)
Only took 8 hours to print lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Up & Adam
Lol ouch, I use abs as well
You seem to have a lot of cracks, did you print it with it on the side?
My printer actually isn't big enough so I had to print the chopped up version

Not sure, I had someone try to print it for me.Looking at the grain of the plastic, it looks like they probably tried printing it lying down. I thought they knew what they were doing, they had a 5 star rating on the print service. lol.

That didn't work out too well.

Not sure, I had someone try to print it for me.Looking at the grain of the plastic, it looks like they probably tried printing it lying down. I thought they knew what they were doing, they had a 5 star rating on the print service. lol.

That didn't work out too well.
Oooo ouch... Hope it didn't cost you much....
Where did you get it done?

As much as I like printing my own stuff, I wouldn't trust the rigidity of PLA/ABS with a $1k drone. For small accessories, like landing gear-sure. I've been printing for 3 years and don't see consumer printers accomplishing this kind of task properly. Don't skimp on the protection, at the very least pelican case knock offs are $30 all day long on fleabay/amazon. One hard lick and that case wouldn't stand a chance. A for effort, F for protection rating. Better than being slung in a backpack but keep an eye on the material for cracks/splits.

As much as I like printing my own stuff, I wouldn't trust the rigidity of PLA/ABS with a $1k drone. For small accessories, like landing gear-sure. I've been printing for 3 years and don't see consumer printers accomplishing this kind of task properly. Don't skimp on the protection, at the very least pelican case knock offs are $30 all day long on fleabay/amazon. One hard lick and that case wouldn't stand a chance. A for effort, F for protection rating. Better than being slung in a backpack but keep an eye on the material for cracks/splits.
I printed that case for a little extra protection when I go hiking and biking. I'm not going to lug around a pelican case to go hiking and biking [emoji14]

Very good points, and I agree.

However, I am not lugging any sort of pelican around (I might as well lug my phantom). My need is for a precise, tight case that will have enough structure to protect the mavic (with the assumption, that case with the mavic will be in a laptop backpack, and not carried externally.)

I'm not looking for something bomb proof, but just a container that has some physical integrity. It's all about trade offs, and I am willing to sacrifice some strength in the carrier for less of a footprint...

I agree, use 3D hubs instead of shipping overseas. Also, I updated the hood this morning with a v4, if v3 works well for you that is great but v4 fixes a couple of issues reported by others.

The drone is not that heavy, not sure why you wouldn't trust PLA or ABS in this case. Would you break it if you land hard? Yes, but landing hard with the Mavic without extensions is going to damage it as well and the PLA or ABS extensions can actually break and cause a cushioning effect and actually save the Mavic in a crash.

Reactions: BrunoBronosky
The drone is not that heavy, not sure why you wouldn't trust PLA or ABS in this case. Would you break it if you land hard? Yes, but landing hard with the Mavic without extensions is going to damage it as well and the PLA or ABS extensions can actually break and cause a cushioning effect and actually save the Mavic in a crash.
I was talking about the cases being printed. I used 3d printed landing gear on my phantoms as well with no ill fates. On the other hand, we printed a ton of accessories for AR15's/Pmags, etc. and just about anything we printed that saw daily use/abuse busted or split unlike polymer cast made parts.

OK, so long term durability is going to be an issue. Great point!

I was talking about the cases being printed. I used 3d printed landing gear on my phantoms as well with no ill fates. On the other hand, we printed a ton of accessories for AR15's/Pmags, etc. and just about anything we printed that saw daily use/abuse busted or split unlike polymer cast made parts.
Ok, I printed a case for my controller but it will not see heavy use. Instead I will put the controller in it only when I need to throw it in my backpack when traveling on a plane, mostly to protect from other items. If you intend to use it for heavy use then you are right that a 3D printed part may not make sense as you will have to print new ones as they break. 3d Printing is meant more for prototyping and not for heavy/daily use replacement parts.

I'm looking for a design for a travel case shaped like a folded Mavic, with a horizontal split (for the top and bottom halves) over the length of the mavic. Simple elastic band to hold the two halves together would then be fine...

Plenty of travel boxes around but all rectangular and I'm looking for something that follows the shape. My meshmixing skills really suck and it's frustrating printing something this size 10x to find out you've got it wrong 10x :/

All help is appreciated!

interesting, but still isn't shaped like the mavic, just looks like a rounded off box to me...

So you essentially want a larger, hollowed out mavic to store your mavic in? Can't help you there but good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie