DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

So, been flying with the Huawei Ascend xt2 and so far it seems really solid. I'm using the latest dji go4, if that matters.

I like this phone a lot actually. I'd like to use the straightalk (Verizon) sim I have in my iPhone 5s with it, but it prompts for some kind of unlock code. I see a bunch of sites that apparently offer unlock codes for the Huawei phones, but the whole thing seems kind of sketchy to me. Plus, with there being so many sites, I surprised there isn't some way to do it without sending $40 off to who knows where and hoping for the best.

So, been flying with the Huawei Ascend xt2 and so far it seems really solid. I'm using the latest dji go4, if that matters.

I like this phone a lot actually. I'd like to use the straightalk (Verizon) sim I have in my iPhone 5s with it, but it prompts for some kind of unlock code. I see a bunch of sites that apparently offer unlock codes for the Huawei phones, but the whole thing seems kind of sketchy to me. Plus, with there being so many sites, I surprised there isn't some way to do it without sending $40 off to who knows where and hoping for the best.

There is no unlock for the ascend xt2. I just got mine unlocked by att after 6 months.

There is no unlock for the ascend xt2. I just got mine unlocked by att after 6 months.
I had a good experience with vinhidalgo . PM him and use PayPal. Verizon Wireless network is a mixture of CDMA towers and 4G LTE so your experience with them will be fought with reception issues.

There is an unlock for the XT2, so don't listen to anyone on here that says there is not, because they do not know what they are talking about and should not be writing messages that are incorrect, when they don't know themselves.

I too have had a good experience with vinhidalgo, in fact I might have been the first person on here that had his Wunderphone unlocked by him. He is one of us and you can trust him, it took just over 24hrs but I got the unlock code from him and it was simple to get my phone unlocked, and I am no tech guru, so if it was easy for me it will be easy for anyone. Read back through these posts a little to find his contact info.

A number of us have had him unlock our phones and cheaper than forty bucks too. I was scared to use any of the other places I found on line because of reading some stories about people never getting any code after they paid or the code did not work and they could not get back in touch with the person they sent money to, etc. I was pleased to find that one of our own here was offering an unlock, because for about a year there was no unlock for us. I tried AT&T first but they wanted me to pay them for six months first but I was with T-Mobile, and did not want to waste money them AT&T. Let everyone else here know how it went with vinhidalgo, good luck.

I guess I don't get how these people/sites are unlocking phones. It's apparently widespread, so it can't be that difficult to do.

Ok I tried my iPad 2 it’s a no go. To much lag in the pad. After work tomorrow I am going by Wally World to pick up this phone and try it. Will it run a map while I am using it and do I need service set up on the phone? And the unlocking I am reading about in this thread I don’t understand if someone can explain?

Will it run a map while I am using it and do I need service set up on the phone? And the unlocking I am reading about in this thread I don’t understand if someone can explain?
I will show a map as long as you have wifi, or you cache the maps ahead of time (the android version of GO4 has this feature).

I didn't unlock mine, or buy a service plan. It works on wifi, that's all I need.

Reactions: Mavic2StingRay
Yes I have DJI Go 4 v4.2.8(553-googleplay) running. The Elate is running out of the box Android version 7.0. I flew my Mavic in the backyard for about 10 minutes and took it to ~380ft few minutes ago. All went very well. The phone is in airplane mode without WiFi or cell connection. I have not downloaded the map so it was ruining off of GPS connection through controller. All seem good. Will take it out to the flying field tomorrow.

Thanks everyone who tested and blessed this wunderphone. It is amazing. Can’t beat the price and feature.

I can live passed the annoying phone charging issue.
The controller does not have GPS built in, you were using the phone's GPS. Airplane mode does not turn off GPS. That is a different setting.

Reactions: Lbesing
Ok I tried my iPad 2 it’s a no go. To much lag in the pad. After work tomorrow I am going by Wally World to pick up this phone and try it. Will it run a map while I am using it and do I need service set up on the phone? And the unlocking I am reading about in this thread I don’t understand if someone can explain?
if you only wish to fly with the phone then there is no need for an unlock. However, if you want to sometimes use the phone to actually call someone, if you have service with the ATT provider that this phone seems to come with, that will still be possible, just pop in your current ATT SIM card and make calls.

If you are like me and have T-Mobile, then the phone will need to be unlocked and the only way to do that is to use someone who has that service to offer, such as one of our own members here vinhidalgo, I have used him, so have several others on here, to unlock the phone. It usually takes about 24hrs before he sends you the unlock code to use and then you can use the phone on any carrier that the phone is designed for. Hope that helps, vinhidalgo will walk you through the setup or unlock process, which is simple, though he did walk me through it, to be sure I did not mess anything up.

Goddamit, why can’t we get this stuff in the UK? Grrrrrt..

Don't despair :)
You can get the Huawei Y6 2017 for 99 quid at Argos (and possibly for less at other UK vendors)
Buy Sim Free Huawei Y6 Mobile Phone - Grey | SIM free phones | Argos

I've got it and it works great (also as my main phone) with all versions of the Go4 app that have been released so far.

Another option that is worth having is the Huawei T3 pad for 59 quid:
Buy Huawei MediaPad T3 7 Inch 16GB Tablet - Black | Tablets | Argos

Thread: 7" Huawei Mediapad T3 - aka Wundertablet

I use ith with Go4 4.1.9 and that works splendid (note that it will have some lag if you run that one with the latest versions of Go4)

Nice combo and I've used both with Mavic Pro and Mavic Air.

I use ith with Go4 4.1.9 and that works splendid (note that it will have some lag if you run that one with the latest versions of Go4)

I've wondered about that tablet and fancied trying it out. Is it as bright as the Wunderphone in sunlight?

You can get the Huawei Y6 2017 for 99 quid at Argos (and possibly for less at other UK vendors)
Buy Sim Free Huawei Y6 Mobile Phone - Grey | SIM free phones | Argos

I've got it and it works great (also as my main phone) with all versions of the Go4 app that have been released so far.

Thanks Espen, really appreciate this advice, sadly those phones (Y6) are totally sold out in Argos.
I don’t know why there’s not a dedicated DJI and Android forum so people can get advice on what works and what doesn’t!

I'm a Brit, from Wales, but live here in the US now. I'd be happy to price out any of these things and get a quote on postage to the UK so you could see what the total cost might be. Should anyone be interested.
Hey, I’m from Wales too!
What part are you from?

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Cowbridge, between Cardiff & Bridgend!
Could I ask you how much you think it would cost to post one of these phones back to me? Maybe PM?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone