DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

****, anyone suggest something similar? Not looking to spend a fortune, just a device just for flying

Yeah I just updated to 4.3 and works just fine. I did have one Go 4 display latency issue when I first upgraded but not since.

I am on 4.3 as well. I haven’t had any latency issues at all. App did crash one time while trying to stitch a sphere panorama while drone was still up (normally I wait until I land to review them.) I rebooted app in seconds and video feed picked up instantly. It’s just as fast as my iPhone 7. I also use an Amazon Fire HD8 (2016) version and have not had app crashes or latency issues. The Elate is way brighter and more portable.

I am on 4.3 as well. I haven’t had any latency issues at all. App did crash one time while trying to stitch a sphere panorama while drone was still up (normally I wait until I land to review them.) I rebooted app in seconds and video feed picked up instantly. It’s just as fast as my iPhone 7. I also use an Amazon Fire HD8 (2016) version and have not had app crashes or latency issues. The Elate is way brighter and more portable.

I have an Amazon Fire HD8 2018 as well but I haven't tried it. Do you have a micro SD card in your Elate or do you use internal memory?

I have an Amazon Fire HD8 2018 as well but I haven't tried it. Do you have a micro SD card in your Elate or do you use internal memory?

I literally just put a 32gb card in it yesterday as I replaced the card in my Fire to 128gb. I don’t have anything cache to the phone while flying, only record to SD onboard the Mavic itself. I did adjust the Elate to store to SD but didn’t have a chance to fly again with it changed. Have you installed the Play store to the Fire? Pretty easy. You will probably need some form on mount for controller to use that if you go that route. Some people have said they have had latency issues or pixelation but I personally haven’t.

I literally just put a 32gb card in it yesterday as I replaced the card in my Fire to 128gb. I don’t have anything cache to the phone while flying, only record to SD onboard the Mavic itself. I did adjust the Elate to store to SD but didn’t have a chance to fly again with it changed. Have you installed the Play store to the Fire? Pretty easy. You will probably need some form on mount for controller to use that if you go that route. Some people have said they have had latency issues or pixelation but I personally haven’t.

Yeah have the play store and Go 4 on the Fire. I just never tried using the Fire after seeing this one youtube video claiming that it sucks on the Fire Tablet since the app crashes. I have two mounts for a phone or a tablet. I would love to see it on the bigger screen just as a reference. Pixelation I have seen once with 4.3 but none on 4.1.15.

One thing that I noticed today while flying my Spark with my iPhone was I wear polarized sunglasses and didn't have an issue seeing the screen. With the Hauwei you cannot wear polarized glasses. Luckily since they are Oakleys I just change the lenses out to a regular lens and view the screen just fine.

How is your Huawei working? Have you updated it? I found a cheap refurbished one online and would ship overseas so l grabbed it. I am wondering, can you connect to wi-fi to install DJI Go? Like you l only want it as monitor. Thanks!

Glad the others took over - all are correct. Works great, updated, no SIM card necessary, holds a big SD card, AND they are back on Walmart.com but they are currently out of stock. After you update the app make sure you re-map to save on the SD card and check the other settings in the DJI Go app. I’m primarily iOS for everything else’s with only internal memory so I didn’t think to make sure it was saving to the right spot.... great, bright screen - way better than my iPhone. Not sure where we are in Android DJI Go apps but if you cannot save maps for offline use find the thread to that explains how revert back to a version that does.

Happy flying!

One thing that I noticed today while flying my Spark with my iPhone was I wear polarized sunglasses and didn't have an issue seeing the screen. With the Hauwei you cannot wear polarized glasses. Luckily since they are Oakleys I just change the lenses out to a regular lens and view the screen just fine.

Good point - but I have the same problem with my iPhone. I wish I could find glasses that were just polarized the opposite direction as most (vertically instead of horizontally I assume?) because when you turn it it looks great.

I was trying to find a new Huawei Ascend XT2 but it's almost sold out or avail but not in the price range I want ($49-$65), so I think I will get a Cricket Huawei Elate(It's the same exact model but Black AT&T and White Cricket) because it's a little cheaper than the Xt2.

Any other suggestion as for a dedicated cheap SmartPhone? I will use this new one with my new M2P.

Thanks guys!!

Reactions: tiparoch
****, anyone suggest something similar? Not looking to spend a fortune, just a device just for flying

HI...

Now sure where you are in the world...but I just got a new Huawei Nova Lite 2...(maybe called Y7 Prime some places.) Perfect. Cheaper than most tablets...and nice and compact. Nice display, super easy to set up. Just hooked up with wi-fi and easily downloaded DJI Go4 app. No SIM needed. Nice machine. I intend to use it just for DJI and maybe a 360 camera. Keep it simple.

I was trying to find a new Huawei Ascend XT2 but it's almost sold out or avail but not in the price range I want ($49-$65), so I think I will get a Cricket Huawei Elate(It's the same exact model but Black AT&T and White Cricket) because it's a little cheaper than the Xt2.

Any other suggestion as for a dedicated cheap SmartPhone? I will use this new one with my new M2P.

Thanks guys!!

BE CAREFUL getting a used one! Like you I was in the market for a Huawei XT2. I finally found a used one, via Amazon (US). Waited weeks for it to arrive. It was not "refurbished" as claimed. Just an old one thrown into bubble wrap. When I tried to turn it on and start using it, a prompt said "...sign in with a google account previously synced on this device." Obviously impossible. But the worst thing was, the SIM and memory card tray was gone. Just an empty hole. It is an older model so practically impossible to get one that would fit. BAD experience. So my impulse to 'get a new one' is right... Kind of like buying a used PC you really don't know what is inside it... Same thing holds for a cellphone. Not good to be messing around with something you don't know what is inside. As I wrote in another post, I got a Huawei Nova Lite 2, a.k.a. Y7 Prime in other places. Super easy to get started. Love the size. It is ideal for a M2P.

Glad the others took over - all are correct. Works great, updated, no SIM card necessary, holds a big SD card, AND they are back on Walmart.com but they are currently out of stock. After you update the app make sure you re-map to save on the SD card and check the other settings in the DJI Go app. I’m primarily iOS for everything else’s with only internal memory so I didn’t think to make sure it was saving to the right spot.... great, bright screen - way better than my iPhone. Not sure where we are in Android DJI Go apps but if you cannot save maps for offline use find the thread to that explains how revert back to a version that does.

Happy flying!

Thanks a bunch. One quick question, what do you mean :

make sure you re-map to save on the SD card and check the other settings in the DJI Go app.

What do you mean re-map? My new Huawei seems to know where it is... Google map works just fine etc.

Many Thanks!

Had a few flights with the XT2, DJI GO4 rev 4.3.0 and latest firmware. No problems so far except a short glitch with the gimbal tilt wheel. Found the POI flight mode. Didn't see anything that looked like a rail mode or whatever it is called. (Read up some and rail requires the MP2 Zoom - needs zoom lens)

Last edited:
For those of you searching for an XT2, I have a potential alternative. Since I've been using an XT2 very successfully with my Mavic Pro since this thread started, last week I went looking for a second one to use with my Spark. As many of you have found, they are hard to impossible to find. I did a bit of homework on the specs, and found the LG Tribute Dynasty from Boost or Virgin mobile to be fairly close. It's built around a Mediatek processor with a Mali GPU subsystem vs the Qualcomm Snapdragon with Adreno GPU. However, they are both running 8 Arm Cortex A53 cores (albeit with slightly different clock speeds). As a package, the LG scored only slightly lower than the XT2 in the Antutu benchmarks, and can be had from Walmart for $49. The display is slightly smaller than the XT2, but it's very thin and fits PERFECTLY in the hand controller. I've only done about 2 VERY close range flights (like 10 feet away) with it and it seems to be working fine. I WAS using my old Moto G3, but I was getting constant RC connection errors and disconnects even with the controller right next to the AC. In my very short testing, I haven't seen any disconnects with the LG, and it seems very responsive. I'm going to do more tests once the weather clears up a bit. For the record, I always use an OTG connection to the RC.

I doubt this would be a good option for the MP2 given the greater video downlink bandwidth reqs...but it might work out for the Spark and MP users. I'll post back once I do more testing.

LP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998