DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

For those of you searching for an XT2, I have a potential alternative. Since I've been using an XT2 very successfully with my Mavic Pro since this thread started, last week I went looking for a second one to use with my Spark. As many of you have found, they are hard to impossible to find. I did a bit of homework on the specs, and found the LG Tribute Dynasty from Boost or Virgin mobile to be fairly close. It's built around a Mediatek processor with a Mali GPU subsystem vs the Qualcomm Snapdragon with Adreno GPU. However, they are both running 8 Arm Cortex A53 cores (albeit with slightly different clock speeds). As a package, the LG scored only slightly lower than the XT2 in the Antutu benchmarks, and can be had from Walmart for $49. The display is slightly smaller than the XT2, but it's very thin and fits PERFECTLY in the hand controller. I've only done about 2 VERY close range flights (like 10 feet away) with it and it seems to be working fine. I WAS using my old Moto G3, but I was getting constant RC connection errors and disconnects even with the controller right next to the AC. In my very short testing, I haven't seen any disconnects with the LG, and it seems very responsive. I'm going to do more tests once the weather clears up a bit. For the record, I always use an OTG connection to the RC.

I doubt this would be a good option for the MP2 given the greater video downlink bandwidth reqs...but it might work out for the Spark and MP users. I'll post back once I do more testing.

LP

Huh? Walmart has them and they are all over eBay as well.

I am currently using an Huawei XT2 for my MP1 and my Spark runnig 4.3 app without any issues got it from my local walmart for $89, no phone service .

I haven't been able to find one at any Walmart locally or online for months. The placeholder is still in the stores but I have been told multiple times they won't be back in stock. Where are you finding them? I don't do ebay for phones.

LP

I found mine at Walmart in Horsham PA , ebay got few listed as new and actually never had any problems with ebay purchases. Just over the summer I've gotten refunded for a damaged 65 inch tv from a seller and a refund from ebay for $650.00 for a Mavic Pro.

Sorry for the dumb question---but without cellular activation how do any of the phones work?

Simba

but without cellular activation how do any of the phones work?
They are all still able to connect to Wi-Fi networks. That allows them to connect to the Internet.

They are all still able to connect to Wi-Fi networks. That allows them to connect to the Internet.

I fly a Mavic Pro. What features would not be available if I use an android phone/tablet without cellular data capability? I am assuming most android tablets have a GPS chip built in.

I have an Samsung phone that works great, but I usually put it in airplane mode because I don't want to loose connection, if I get a phone call. I might as well get a dedicated device that will do the job.

Thank you in advance,

Simba

I fly a Mavic Pro.

What features would not be available if I use an android phone/tablet without cellular data capability? Map is the only thing that comes to mind but there's a work around it. Maybe there's some more that I didn't know about. Been using AOS/IOS airplane mode most times and the only thing on IOS that I can think of is the ability to fix horizon tilt w/ button combo.

I am assuming most android tablets have a GPS chip built in.

I have an Samsung phone that works great, but I usually put it in airplane mode because I don't want to loose connection, if I get a phone call. I might as well get a dedicated device that will do the job.

Thank you in advance,

Simba

Reactions: simbaboy
I’m in. Flying with my iPhone XS Max is too problematic. Covering the front sensor package presents a whole range of issues, so I decided to get a dedicated device. Initially I was considering an iPad Mini 4, but then I remembered this thread. So I hit eBay and grabbed a “Wunderphone” for $70. Even at that price it’s a steal, and having a dedicated screen will make flying a lot more enjoyable.

anyone able to get their Huawei Ascend XT2 to work with Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom? I get USB error when trying to connect

I was having issues with my Huawei Elate. I think it was the changes that were implemented by Updates.

I've had no issues with my iPhone 7

Still to date this Huawei is the best value in a dedicated device, and it's not a bad phone either.

I have one and tried it, but I'm spoiled with the iPad 10". I just couldn't see it good enough to fly safely. My iPad screen is a lot brighter it seems. Still not a bad deal though. I dedicated mine for playing music at the fire pit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost