DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Are you satsfied with it? I see on fakespot that it has a lot of suspicious reviews:

Fakespot | Virtual Reality Headset With Bluetooth Remote Controller Gamepad For Large Viewing Fake Review Analysis

But as long as it's actually a good product, this doesn't matter.
I though the reviews were too good to be true. I have several cheap VR goggles. This one had some features I was missing with the others. It had adjustments for interpupilary distance and focus as well as a button to select items you are viewing on the screen. The version I got came with a bluetooth control pad which I have not used yet. The goggles are comfortable enough and do fit over my glasses but do not block out all light from the sides. The optics don't seem to be quite as good as my Samsung Gear VR goggles.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Hmm... I've experienced nothing like this. What version? I'm on Go 4.1.15, Mavic on modded 1.04.0000. Is Go caching video to SD card? (maybe some card problem - too slow or corrupt) I use SD card as primary storage, and it's a ~3y.o. PNY 64GB card that tops at 40MBs, no problem. Check that there's no stress on micro USB when you put phone in arms.
I switched back to 4.1.15 (I was using a modded app.) Flew this time without issues. Will do more tests tomorrow. The jury is still out on this one.

The Ipad Mini 4, IMO, is the best fpv device for use w the Mavic. The manner it clip in the controller and its flawless performance has no rival.

Reactions: AIRJORGE
The Ipad Mini 4, IMO, is the best fpv device for use w the Mavic. The manner it clip in the controller and its flawless performance has no rival.
This is somewhat true, the issue I have w/ Mini 4 connected to the RC w/ out mount is the awkward position of my hands (small hand) + the Sport mode button is somewhat hard to access in case that you needed it right away, otherwise it's a good device to have.

I though the reviews were too good to be true. I have several cheap VR goggles. This one had some features I was missing with the others. It had adjustments for interpupilary distance and focus as well as a button to select items you are viewing on the screen. The version I got came with a bluetooth control pad which I have not used yet. The goggles are comfortable enough and do fit over my glasses but do not block out all light from the sides. The optics don't seem to be quite as good as my Samsung Gear VR goggles.

Actually, I do have Gear VR (the first one, Dev edition). Just tried it with XT2 and it works! (I simply slide it under USB plug, it even latches properly!) The screen door effect is no worse than with Note 4, actually, square RGB pixels are much less annoying than pentile. Tried a rollercoaster ride, no prob. And I have some Bluetooth gamepad, too. I love this phone more and more every second!

This is somewhat true, the issue I have w/ Mini 4 connected to the RC w/ out mount is the awkward position of my hands (small hand) + the Sport mode button is somewhat hard to access in case that you needed it right away, otherwise it's a good device to have.

It is true that I have some problems with the sport switch initially, but no more. Otherwise I have big hands. Thumbswayup

TL/DR: RUN to your Walmart NOW, thank me later. This $49 phone is not only slick, well built, has huge battery, has 8 cores, no lag, bright and crisp large screen, SD card tray, headphone jack, FM radio, Android 7.0, decent camera, and much more - it works with Mavic amazingly well.

-------

Just ordered Huawei Ascend XT2 from Walmart for $49 (regular $119):

16GB Huawei Ascend XT2 AT&T Prepaid Smartphone (Silver) $49 + Free S/H

Will pickup tomorrow. Anyone uses it for flying Mavic? Is it adequate?

I normally use iPad mini 2, but was looking for a dedicated smaller device, especially for hiking with Mavic; also, I'm flying with Goggles most of the time, so bigger screen size is not important.

People seem to be impressed with it (even at $119 price), so I simply impulse-ordered it thinking this deal may vanish fast. Will report back in a day or two!

Do you need a sim card?

Another advantage of this phone is that the FPV is extremely sharp, which is not only pleasure to view, but helps judge the focus. On my iPad mini 2 (Retina) the image looks blurry as if it's stretched and interpolated to fit bigger screen. On XT2, I zoomed in 2x and it looks almost exactly like on iPad at 1x.

Not to mention that this phone is 1/10th the cost.

With iOS, a botched app update can completely ruin the experience, even completely ground your Mavic - and there's no easy way to rollback to any prior version. With Android, it's a matter of seconds. When I heard about problems with 4.1.18, I simply installed 4.1.15, done!

Reactions: Scobo
I ordered one ignoring it saying the device wouldn’t work in my 46157 zip code. What’s that all about??

Isn't cellular preferred? How does wifi work?

You don't need cellular to run the quad.
The WiFi is only for downloading apps to the phone.
You also don't need wifi to run the quad.
You don't even need wifi to download the apps they can be side-loaded by USB onto the phone from another computer.

This all sounds too good to be true, but I can’t wait to get it and try it. I’m new to Android, will I need to go thru an Android ‘store’ to download the app, or just use the browser to access that AKwhatever site using WiFi? And thanks Xtreme.
PS...okay APK site....and what does that stand for? AndroidP....K.....??

Last edited:
This all sounds too good to be true, but I can’t wait to get it and try it. I’m new to Android, will I need to go thru an Android ‘store’ to download the app, or just use the browser to access that AKwhatever site using WiFi? And thanks Xtreme.
PS...okay APK site....and what does that stand for? AndroidP....K.....??

APK = Android application package, basically, app in archived form.

You can install the app either way. Normally, you install by using Google Play Store, but it will be the latest version; use apkmirror site if you want to install an older version.

APK = Android application package, basically, app in archived form.

You can install the app either way. Normally, you install by using Google Play Store, but it will be the latest version; use apkmirror site if you want to install an older version.

Got it[emoji1360] Thanks for the heads up on the device and the help Xtreme Drone Pilot!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78