DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Well, the video from the Mavic is 1080 p at best so having higher res in the phone does not make a sharper image.

This phone is 720p, BTW. I'll try VR with Litchi and general VR with this phone as well, I see lots of cheap $10 VR headsets at Walmart, so why not? I have DJI Goggles, but for hiking in the mountains, where weight and space are premium, Googles can be too heavy and bulky; this is a ~$60 lightweight alternative.

This phone is 720p, BTW. I'll try VR with Litchi and general VR with this phone as well, I see lots of cheap $10 VR headsets at Walmart, so why not? I have DJI Goggles, but for hiking in the mountains, where weight and space are premium, Googles can be too heavy and bulky; this is a ~$60 lightweight alternative.
Oops, you are correct. I have been reading up on several cheap phones and must have gotten them confused.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Just ordered Huawei Ascend XT2 from Walmart for $49 (regular $119):

Quick question: do I need to have an ATT simcard put in the phone to make it work with the Go App? I also have had Note 4 and just upgraded to Iphone 8 Plus, but there are too many new things to learn with the IOS and I feel I like Android much more. Thanks

Quick question: do I need to have an ATT simcard put in the phone to make it work with the Go App? I also have had Note 4 and just upgraded to Iphone 8 Plus, but there are too many new things to learn with the IOS and I feel I like Android much more. Thanks

No, I removed the included SIM card even before setting the phone up, no problem whatsoever. Just tap Skip when it prompts you to initiate AT&T stuff. Skipping it also has a side benefit of not installing tons of typical att bloatware (it still installs 2-3 att apps, you can just disable them). Since I don't plan to use it as a phone per se, I disabled tons of phone-related stuff that I'll never need.

To make it work with Go 4, you just need to temporarily turn on WiFi to login to DJI first time, and download offline maps if you want. After that, WiFi can be turned off, it's not needed to fly.

I also recommend to use an SD card and set it as primary storage, the 8 or so GB of free internal storage can fill up quickly, especially with dji video cache and offline maps.

Folks, I just did a few more tests in broad sunlight and am TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by this $49 phone. Smooth, stable, no lag whatsoever, everything just works! The screen is an order of magnitude more visible in direct sun than iPad mini 2 or Note 4 that I used before, no shade needed! Fits in the RC arms well. (tip: turn off Touch-disable mode in Settings (which is to prevent accidental touch operations while in pocket), the right arm covers the proximity sensor and it complains).

RUN to your Walmart now! It's a steal of the century, if not the millenium! I'm really happy with this little discovery.

I agree, the screens on the Huwaei phones appear to be excellent. My P8 is far better in daylight than my ipad mini 2.
I'm just wondering if the Huwaei 7" tablets have as good a screen.
The Mediapad is going pretty cheap here in the UK too.

I agree, the screens on the Huwaei phones appear to be excellent. My P8 is far better in daylight than my ipad mini 2.
I'm just wondering if the Huwaei 7" tablets have as good a screen.
The Mediapad is going pretty cheap here in the UK too.

This amazing phone and your comment got me thinking about looking into Huawei tablets, if they have a value per $ epic deal like this, I'll be diving in!

Reactions: Scobo
Folks, I just did a few more tests in broad sunlight and am TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by this $49 phone. Smooth, stable, no lag whatsoever, everything just works! The screen is an order of magnitude more visible in direct sun than iPad mini 2 or Note 4 that I used before, no shade needed! Fits in the RC arms well. (tip: turn off Touch-disable mode in Settings (which is to prevent accidental touch operations while in pocket), the right arm covers the proximity sensor and it complains).

RUN to your Walmart now! It's a steal of the century, if not the millenium! I'm really happy with this little discovery.
Roger! Ordered!

The Mediapad T3 is going for as little as £70 in the UK.
Not quite as fast a processor though, quadcore 1.3Ghz.
Should still be fast enough to run Dji Go though, especially when used as a dedicated display with no other apps/bloatware running.

My initial tests with this phone were a mixed bag. First of all, I was pleased with the brightness of the display, much better than I was expecting. There was no visible lag and the resolution was very good, however the Go4 app crashed 3 times in 2 fights. I was able to restart the app and reconnect. I had all other apps disabled, flying in airplane mode, no sim card. I was using the usb cable that came with the Mavic. I may try again with Litchi. Maybe it requires less resources.

As easy as clicking a link and confirming you want to install the app:

Firmware : v01.04.0100

PS. There are 2 APKs there, download the one starting with "1", this is for phones; "2" is for tablets.
Thank you. So when I get the phone I should first remove the sim to avoid the ATT bloatware, then install a larger Mini SD, then get to WiFi and install the app, then I can cache the maps at will? Thanks again!

the Go4 app crashed 3 times in 2 fights

Hmm... I've experienced nothing like this. What version? I'm on Go 4.1.15, Mavic on modded 1.04.0000. Is Go caching video to SD card? (maybe some card problem - too slow or corrupt) I use SD card as primary storage, and it's a ~3y.o. PNY 64GB card that tops at 40MBs, no problem. Check that there's no stress on micro USB when you put phone in arms.

Thank you. So when I get the phone I should first remove the sim to avoid the ATT bloatware, then install a larger Mini SD, then get to WiFi and install the app, then I can cache the maps at will? Thanks again!

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. My pleasure. :)

PS. Go 4.1.18 (latest) doesn't have Offline maps; 4.1.15 does. However, it seems there's a problem with Here maps server and downloads often stall, have to quit the app and try again. This is why they removed it in .18.

Reactions: FirstKlass
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada