DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k Videos Won't Import Directly into FCPX

christianostmo

Reactions
Hey Guys,

I'm a pretty new Mavic 2 Pro owner, and I have a bit of an issue: my 4k, 24fps videos (and higher) won't import directly into FCPX. I've tried different settings, .mov vs .mp4 and everything else I can think of.

I'm having doubts now that I'm thinkning about it, but I'm pretty sure 2.7k worked fine and 1080p definitely did at all framerates.

I have 2 other 4k cameras (Osmo Pocket and Lumix LX10/15), and 4k from those cameras, even up to 60fps, works just fine.

It does work on Quicktime, though I find it strange that the thumbnail is just black, as opposed to those taken at 1080p have a real thumbnail. I've gotten it to work by opening in Quicktime and exporting to 4k, but the file size shrinks to something like 40% of the original, so I know it's losing data.

For reference, when I use the "import" function on FCPX, all 4k drone footage is greyed out, and dragging the clips over produce a grey circle with a line through it, and then nothing when you drop. I have a 2013, 15" MBP with 16gb of ram, 500gb SSD, and dedicated graphics. I've used it for editing photos/videos since it was new, and I haven't seen this issue before.

Is this an issue for anyone else? Am I really losing vital data when I use Quicktime to export? Thanks!

Is your FC up to date? Could it be that there's a hidden tag or metadata on the DJI file that your version is not reading? In the mavic try changing the video setting to MP4 or MOV (from the one you have now, to see if that works) Are you shooting in H264? Found this site Mavic 2 Pro Video Settings - Demystified! - DJI Aerial Photography Academy that throws a bit of insight. I use both Premiere Pro CC and FCPX. Have not had that issue (not yet at least)

You probably need to update your OSX version also to support HVEC codec. I had that problem with my MacBooks.

Reactions: vieque
Hey WithTheBirds and Vieque, thank you guys for your answers! Not sure why I'm such a dunce, but you are both are correct. My FCPX wasn't up to date..updated and it's working now, thank you!

Reactions: vieque and Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_