DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5.1K Dlog - noisy image

Hello Akbuk:

Have you post processed some of the footage? I’m not an expert with Dlog, but I understand that is can look pretty poor in it’s ”raw” state but that post processing can result in great imagery?

Howard

What ISO is being used? Often the ISO is boosted to ISO 400, 600, or800 with log shooting. With DJI sensors, the lowest noise is at ISO 100, and goes quickly downhill from there.

What ISO is being used? Often the ISO is boosted to ISO 400, 600, or800 with log shooting. With DJI sensors, the lowest noise is at ISO 100, and goes quickly downhill from there.

Lowest noise may or my not be at a higher ISO than 100. We do not know the native ISO of the sensor. The native ISO should, in theory, provide the widest dynamic range and least noise.

Reactions: johnmont250
I have experience with the P3 4K, the MA, and a P4 adv. All had the lowest noise by far at 100 ISO. DJI uses fairly cheap sensors with poor noise performance at ISOs as low as 400. You can easily see the noise in the shadow areas.

The Nikon Z 7, for example is clean up to ISO 3200, and of some use even at 25,000. Clearly this is an apples to oranges comparison, as the Nikon image sensor is both too expensive and too big and heavy for any prosumer drone.

I have experience with the P3 4K, the MA, and a P4 adv. All had the lowest noise by far at 100 ISO. DJI uses fairly cheap sensors with poor noise performance at ISOs as low as 400. You can easily see the noise in the shadow areas.

The Nikon Z 7, for example is clean up to ISO 3200, and of some use even at 25,000. Clearly this is an apples to oranges comparison, as the Nikon image sensor is both too expensive and too big and heavy for any prosumer drone.

DJI has never implemented ISO gain well. It is not just a function of the sensor's base sensitivity but of the implementation of downstream sensitivity settings. For example, the P4P has the same sensor as the RX100 (can't remember which version) and the DJI X5S has the same sensor as the Panasonic GH5. Point being, the RX100 and and the GH5 both did far better at higher ISO than their DJI drone counterpart with the same sensor.

Note it could be a difference in the amount and quality of noise reduction applied in addition to how light sensitivity is adjusted.

The minimum ISO for Dlog mode is 400 and that's what I used. I kept the exposure at 0.0, as recommended. The strange thing is that at 4K resolution the image is noise free, but at 5.1K under exactly the same conditions the image is full of noise.

The minimum ISO for Dlog mode is 400 and that's what I used. I kept the exposure at 0.0, as recommended. The strange thing is that at 4K resolution the image is noise free, but at 5.1K under exactly the same conditions the image is full of noise.
hello, i have similar problem with mavic 3. lot of noise in 5.1k in full auto mode (normal and d-log color). when i test, in 4k is small noise in black parts but in 5.1k i have a lot of them :( how fix this?

my first question is - it is normal in mavic 3?
i test in room, mavic on table and record 10s sample videos in 5.1k, dci 4k, 4k - iso 100, f 2.8 and dlog 400/800. in the same aparature spec.
please see is this ok? acteptable or not? mayby i must send to dji my drone to guaranty?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403