DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50% Drone Security Deposit in the Bahamas?

Frankiev

Reactions
I am going to the Bahamas shortly. I saw a video on Youtube in which the author's drone was confiscated at the airport by customs. He was able to retrieve it by paying a security deposit which he did not get back. This happened in 2015.
I called the Ministry of Finance and was told that I could email them my name, address, make & model of my drone, and its value and they would have my paperwork waiting for me at customs when I arrive. They want a security deposit worth 50% of the drone's value to get my clearance. The security deposit has to be paid in cash. Supposedly the deposit can be reclaimed when I leave. Can these folks be trusted?

Frank

I would call it a matter of "trust", but I surely wouldn't rely upon any government employee following up on paperwork.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Just don't know if I want to 'give' them a security deposit of $450 for my Mavic.
2 things you should worry about:
1) Getting there and they confiscate your Mavic never to been seen again
2) Getting screwed out of $450

That's unfortunate. I purchased my MP with our Bahamas's trip in mind.

Do you have a link to the Youtube vid? Interested to see, thanks!

I live in Miami and frequently the Bahamas.
Although Iv never flown there I either go by boat of my own like Bimini, or via cruise ship to the mainland.
In short I wouldn't take it unless your going to Bimini or on your own personal vessel.
Why? It's shady checking through there customs even in Bimini where you don't have to declare everything your bringing because they don't inspect your vessel or at least when Iv gone. But I wouldn't be surprised if your drone even goes missing through checked luggage at hotspots like Nassau that being said you should be checking any lipo battery's for safety and regulation reasons but that's besides the point. So yeah I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Chiu7526
Interesting topic here. I have been through some shady customs before (Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, etc) but never encountered this kind of scenario. Is the deposit just for drones or ??

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: dewster
Very interested in this. We traveled to Eleuthera (Bahamas) last year and plan on going back again. This time with my Mavic. I'll really want to research this before I do.

Its the Bahamas. You'll be lucky to get your drone or your money back.

I can tell you have dealt with them before! If he hands over his money he will never see it again.
You would have to be able to stay an extra week and go to the main customs office and complain and maybe after a few days you may get someone to force a refund. They know you will never miss your flight or pay for more days at a hotel so they have you by the short hairs.

I checked the regulations in Bahamas since I wanted to take my Mavic on a cruise and shoot videos at the port destinations. The regulations are extensive -- beyond the customs issues. Per Bahamas Drone Laws – UAV Systems International:

General Bahamas Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Bahamas, but there are several Bahamas drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following laws when flying in Bahamas,
  • You cannot fly a drone weighing over 15kg unless you have received permission from the aviation authority
  • Do not operate your drone in a careless or reckless manner
  • Do not fly over property unless you have consent from the property owner
  • You must keep at least 50 feet laterally and 100 feet vertically from any person
  • You must maintain unobstructed visual line of sight at all times with your drone
  • You may not fly higher than 400 feet
  • You cannot operate your drone at night
  • You cannot operate within 8km (5 miles) of an airport or in any area that aircraft are present
  • Do not fly your drone in restricted airspace
  • You must register your drone with the aviation authority and obtain third party liability insurance
  • You must pass a skills test administered by the aviation authority and obtain a permit prior to flying your drone
  • You need to obtain a permit prior to bringing your drone into the Bahamas. In addition, while you are allowed to bring in $100 duty free you will be taxed 70% on the remaining value of the drone unless you bring it in under bond.

Reactions: Trustinclark
I am going to the Bahamas shortly. I saw a video on Youtube in which the author's drone was confiscated at the airport by customs. He was able to retrieve it by paying a security deposit which he did not get back. This happened in 2015.
I called the Ministry of Finance and was told that I could email them my name, address, make & model of my drone, and its value and they would have my paperwork waiting for me at customs when I arrive. They want a security deposit worth 50% of the drone's value to get my clearance. The security deposit has to be paid in cash. Supposedly the deposit can be reclaimed when I leave. Can these folks be trusted?

Frank
I just returned from my trip to Nassau. I did bring along my drone BUT. I first contacted Whitney Kenny at the Ministry of Finance. I had contacted him to get permission to temporarily import my Mavic for personal use. I emailed a letter to him with my name, address entry and departure dates and the model name and serial number for my Mavic.
In return he emailed me an approval letter.

It said in part (I am leaving out my info):

This drone will be utilized for personal use during Mr. Villelli's vacation in the Bahamas. It is expected that all safety protocols will be adhered to.

Customs will require a cash deposit on this restricted item to ensure that it is exported at the end of your trip. This amount will be refunded in full on your departure from the country.

Approval granted is subject to guidelines from the Department of Civil Aviation and can be adjusted or cancelled at the sole discretion of the Department.

The Comptroller of Customs is advised by a copy of this communication.

Sincerely,

Whitney Kenny
For/Financial Secretary

Cc: The Comptroller
Bahamas Customs Department

Anthony Dean
Chief Operations Officer
Civil Aviation Department

I contacted Anthony Dean's office by email and attached a copy of this letter requesting information about receiving his approval to fly the Mavic in and around Nassau. But I never heard back from him.

When it came time to leave I decided to bring my drone along without receiving the information from the Civil Aviation Department.

When arriving in the Bahamas the first thing you do is go through Customs. My wife and I walked through with my Mavic in my backpack. We didn't say anything about it and customs didn't ask about it. We were through and I had my Mavic.

We spent our entire time except for 1 day in and around Atlantis. The first day I went out to video sunrise and found a grassy area from which to launch. Somehow, the "Sport"mode switch on the controller had been switched on (????). I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get into any of the regular modes that I like to fly in. I did the auto take off and then landed a number of times before I noticed a police officer watching and then approaching me. I put down the drone (I was inspecting it to see if there was a problem with it). His first question was "So, how far can you fly that?". We spent 45 minutes in friendly conversation taking about the drone and its capabilities. He was really interested in the drone and how it worked. He was a really nice guy and I apologized to him for not being able to properly fly it for him. I just didn't want to fly it until I figured out my 'problem'. I missed the sunrise!!! When I got back to my room I found the problem in less than 2 minutes.... Bummer.

I had one other encounter with the authorities. I was flying the drone over Atlantis @ 400' and approx 1300' away when a patrolling police officer told me that I was not allowed to fly a drone in the Bahamas without proper approval. I told him that it was registered with the Federal Aviation Agency and that I had received permission to import my drone and he thanked me and wished me a nice stay. I did not have a lot of time to get all the approvals I would have liked to have had. When I return I will start the application process earlier. But all in all it worked out just fine. DJI_0129.JPGDJI_0129.JPG

I did get some good footage and photos and will attach them when I get a chance to do some editing.

Frank

Reactions: NetDep and Viper
IAMA seasoned traveler who has taken lots of gear around the world professionally and for recreation.

This is VERY typical in any country with high import duties on certain product. We Americans typically think of travel to Western Europe but you'll see this throughout the former Soviet bloc, South America, and the Middle East, and Africa.

When traveling with high value goods that are likely to be illegally resold locally, customs wants to ensure that any property that enters with you leaves with you.

Consider if a carnet (no endorsement of any company or service implied in this link) is appropriate for your gear:

What is a Carnet? | ATA Carnet

I've seen this with motorcycles, camera gear, etc. Now I have little experience with Bermuda officials, but in most cases, I've experienced slow and officious service, but not outright larceny. In some cultures, especially if you are asking for a favor, it might help to offer a SMALL gift for expeditiously processing your paperwork. In some cases that gift can just be effusive thanks and not a bribe. In most others, the best thing is to be honest, straightforward, and not not be act like you're a superior prick and not convey that they're all corrupt and trying to rip you off. That is the NUMBER ONE way to screw yourself in customs.

Don't confuse your ignorance of their procedures or your expectations for instant service for theft or corruption and you'll have a much better world traveler experience.

Do your homework before traveling (like you did here!) with lots of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: GravityIsRelentless
Carrying your drone to any of the Caribbean islands is probably going to be a major problem. If customs see's it you will pay "50-60% reimbursable Duty" yeah kiss your money goodbye. And word of warning, don't lie about the value. They have computers and use Amazon and other websites to confirm everything.

No hotel property is going to allow you to fly on the property. So all inclusive hotel users will have to rent a car.

If the police see you flying the drone I suspect they may confiscate it and ask you a million and one questions. The outcome will probably be in your favor but it could cost you several hours of your day or at the least they will ask you to pack it up and not fly it in their jurisdiction. My personal experience is that they hate drones more than even Americans. The majority of people think its only purpose is to spy on people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato