DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7 X optical is now usable professionally...UNLESS...

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Unless... you live in a PAL system country where we shoot in 25fps. With the 7 X optical you can, inexplicably, only shoot in 30fps. Much of the world broadcasts in PAL, China, India, all of Europe including UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. So why does DJI offer every other shooting format with a 25fps option but not 7 X? So effectively I can't use it for professional projects. Anyone dropping a 30 frames clip into a 25 frames timeline knows exactly my problem.

Unless... you live in a PAL system country where we shoot in 25fps. With the 7 X optical you can, inexplicably, only shoot in 30fps. Much of the world broadcasts in PAL, China, India, all of Europe including UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. So why does DJI offer every other shooting format with a 25fps option but not 7 X? So effectively I can't use it for professional projects. Anyone dropping a 30 frames clip into a 25 frames timeline knows exactly my problem.
Wait till you see the sharpness in the new FW, you will love 7X even more.

Not sure about that Suren, the current firmware with latest lens looks sharp, maybe even a touch too sharp with the combo of the smaller sensor. In the old days we would call this a little "tapey" as opposed to filmic. Still pretty remarkable and if they give us 25fps I could see me using a few seconds here and there for sure! Here's a frame from today. Mind you the camera was still rotating a bit but it's not too bad at all, especially compared to the first release!

Attachments

• Untitled Project 7.jpg
    Untitled Project 7.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 106
Not sure about that Suren, the current firmware with latest lens looks sharp, maybe even a touch too sharp with the combo of the smaller sensor. In the old days we would call this a little "tapey" as opposed to filmic. Still pretty remarkable and if they give us 25fps I could see me using a few seconds here and there for sure! Here's a frame from today. Mind you the camera was still rotating a bit but it's not too bad at all, especially compared to the first release!
That does look nice

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I think I see a green caterpillar on the leaf just to the right of the 4th branch...🤣

I think I see a green caterpillar on the leaf just to the right of the 4th branch...🤣
and he's missing one of his shoes I think!

One thing I'm seeing a lot of is 7x footage and stills with focus point set on the wrong plane and makes a huge difference to final quality. Even in that shot focus is correctly on the trees but you can clearly see result IF you had have been photographing the background. I wonder if that is why the earlier shots we saw lacked that clarity, drone pilots haven't normally had to "focus on focus" :) But I'll vouch for Gadgetguy the stitched panos and grids using that lens are impressive and allow way higher than DSLR quality if comparing a single wide shot from a DSLR to a group of stitched images from the 7x.

Is very cool what you can achieve...

One thing I'm seeing a lot of is 7x footage and stills with focus point set on the wrong plane and makes a huge difference to final quality. Even in that shot focus is correctly on the trees but you can clearly see result IF you had have been photographing the background. I wonder if that is why the earlier shots we saw lacked that clarity, drone pilots haven't normally had to "focus on focus" :) But I'll vouch for Gadgetguy the stitched panos and grids using that lens are impressive and allow way higher than DSLR quality if comparing a single wide shot from a DSLR to a group of stitched images from the 7x.

Is very cool what you can achieve...
The earlier problems I had with the 7x telephoto were lots of focus hunting, leading to completely out of focus images and videos, especially in low light or in low contrast situations. I had to use the 28x zoom in manual focus to get the focus right for the 7x, or lock the autofocus into manual focus in 28x when it was sharp.

The 7x autofocus has been significantly improved under all conditions, and I don't see the visible focus hunting anymore. I also rarely need to use manual focus anymore. Usually, for sharpest focus, zooming into 28x will help before backing out to 7x for an image without any digital zoom.

Reactions: Bussty
Another play with 7 X this afternoon. I've added 2.25 sharpen in FCPX. Not something you would use much but for a few second parallax shot it would be fine. Mind you d-log and 24/25fps would be good too!

Attachments

• Untitled Project 7.jpg
    Untitled Project 7.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: Bussty
Another play with 7 X this afternoon. I've added 2.25 sharpen in FCPX. Not something you would use much but for a few second parallax shot it would be fine. Mind you d-log and 24/25fps would be good too!

Am I wasting time trying to spot the Black-Footed Rock Wallaby ?

(I see a Snow Leopard though, Daily Mail 'readers' will understand :) )

Am I wasting time trying to spot the Black-Footed Rock Wallaby ?

(I see a Snow Leopard though, Daily Mail 'readers' will understand :) )
Maybe not, on that bit of range at that part of the afternoon there's every chance one's in there somewhere!

Maybe not, on that bit of range at that part of the afternoon there's every chance one's in there somewhere!

Very true. Perfect terrain.

When bushwalking here and in Yellow-Footed Rock Wallaby territory, we will space out the group a bit and sit a while, watching the rock faces.
After about 10 mins, they will start to move about and you can watch them going about their business foraging etc.

If wanting to see the local birdlife, we do the same, as they behave like this as soon as it's quiet.

Reactions: christangey
Come over to NZ we have enough of them running around here up country. I'm sure the Yellow-Footed Rock Wallaby must be among them!! :) Not the most welcome visitors over here seems they like our native tucker and spreading 2kms per year through the South Island and a little slower in the North. You drive through Geraldine and Fairly and often see them on the side of the road hit by cars. Not that your car would do to well if you hit one of the larger ones!! Not sure if you have seen Power of the Dog but where that was shot there are now signs up advising to watch out for them and report them to DOC.

Reactions: christangey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.