DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A cheap practice drone?

Thanks Mike, that was thing I learned real quick....small intermittent stick moves. I just saw a Holystone or Graystone? on sale at Amazon for cheap ($179). Wonder if it would be a good second step before the full on MP??
Holystone makes a lot of quads, but presumably you are talking about the one with GPS. That is much better than a cheap(er) toy drone but I'd still pass. I owned one and while it tried to hold position like the Mavic, it was not even close at that task. Somewhat crappy fixed camera means it isn't really good for video either. It's also almost impossible indoors--I am referring the larger Holystone GPS which is closer in size to a Phantom. So I'd skip a $180 drone too, if you are seriously interested in the MP.

The only lowish priced toy drone that I think has any kind of "Mavic feel" is the Tello. I bought a cheap $15 case for mine from Amazon, and an extra battery, and it now it doesn't feel so "toyish" lol. Seriously, I get a lot of fun out of the tello. Even take it with me when I take my dog to the dog park, when low or no wind, and it can crawl around the park at dog level. Dogs don't freak like they do with my Mavic.

Mike

Reactions: colinfowler
Walmart is selling the Breeze 4K for $150. I learned with this drone for a month before buying the Mavic Air.

T
Holystone makes a lot of quads, but presumably you are talking about the one with GPS. That is much better than a cheap(er) toy drone but I'd still pass. I owned one and while it tried to hold position like the Mavic, it was not even close at that task. Somewhat crappy fixed camera means it isn't really good for video either. It's also almost impossible indoors--I am referring the larger Holystone GPS which is closer in size to a Phantom. So I'd skip a $180 drone too, if you are seriously interested in the MP.

The only lowish priced toy drone that I think has any kind of "Mavic feel" is the Tello. I bought a cheap $15 case for mine from Amazon, and an extra battery, and it now it doesn't feel so "toyish" lol. Seriously, I get a lot of fun out of the tello. Even take it with me when I take my dog to the dog park, when low or no wind, and it can crawl around the park at dog level. Dogs don't freak like they do with my Mavic.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I did forego the Holystone. But I read many mixed reviews re: Tello. Are you using Tello with a controller? I may be tempted to go Tello before I break out the full on Mavic. Just a bit anxious after seeing the little E58 being so quick to get out of control.....If it was my Mavic, I would be spending $$$$ for repairs. I guess with age comes some trepidation when tossing a $1000 machine into the air. Any more info on Tello will be great. Again, I thank everyone for their time and knowledge :) Larry T.

I bought my Mavic and was flying some fairly tight quarters after a few days of practice. Carefully mind ya. Toy drones fly more like racing type drones and ones like my Syma x-5 are something that takes a bit of practice just to fly. Most don't have altitude hold so you're always adjusting the throttle which is challenging. When the Mavic is operating correctly it's very stable and hovers in place well enough that you could set the controller down on a table and the quad just hovers in place where you left it. Toy drones with altitude hold hover on their own but drift easily, so they have trim buttons to help keep it in place when the sticks are idle. Still none of the cheap toys (I've owned) can stay in place for long without some operator input. The Tello is nice but flying with a phone instead of a controller is something different and annoying IMO. I'm still waiting for my android controller. Also the Tello only flies about 30' above its takeoff point. It is somewhat similar in operation to a MP and I was surprised how stable this little quad is. I agree the Spark is way more closer to how the Mavic operates but the cost is a factor. With the Mavic, if you read and understand its operation, you shouldn't have an issue. As mentioned, take small steps, check out all the youtube videos you can stand, take it out and fly it.

Today would be the day for a Tello :) Plus I have 2 new kittens that would love to see how high they can jump and bat it out of the air. I would be concerned for high vet bills though, lol. And I might get reported to the MSPCA if they got hit by a prop in an eye. So maybe not with those 2 hellions about :) I have had my mavic now for 6 months, and yet to fly it.....Trying to find insurance before I attempt flight. I have lost my flying edge from 40 years ago.

Today would be the day for a Tello :) Plus I have 2 new kittens that would love to see how high they can jump and bat it out of the air. I would be concerned for high vet bills though, lol. And I might get reported to the MSPCA if they got hit by a prop in an eye. So maybe not with those 2 hellions about :) I have had my mavic now for 6 months, and yet to fly it.....Trying to find insurance before I attempt flight. I have lost my flying edge from 40 years ago.
The tello comes with prop guards fitted.
The tello can be launched by throwing into the air and can be hand landed.

Today would be the day for a Tello :) Plus I have 2 new kittens that would love to see how high they can jump and bat it out of the air. I would be concerned for high vet bills though, lol. And I might get reported to the MSPCA if they got hit by a prop in an eye. So maybe not with those 2 hellions about :) I have had my mavic now for 6 months, and yet to fly it.....Trying to find insurance before I attempt flight. I QUOTE have lost my flying edge from 40 years ago.[/]

You said you have had your mavic for six months and didn’t fly it . I couldn’t wait 6 hours after getting mine

Good luck with the E58. I have been flying almost a year before I bought a E58. I found that I had to continue using the trim functions which was unacceptable to me. You won’t have to do this LTWatch. Have fun and fly safe. You will love the MAVIC Pro.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot