DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A crazy lady smashed my drone

Status
Not open for further replies.

bioman748

Reactions
well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.

Heya mate, that's a terrible way to come to the forum, but welcome.
Very bad encounter, and I don't think on the story you posted it is your fault (entirely).

Without knowing where you are, it's possible some drone rules may have been broken, but that's a poor excuse for someone to be so spiteful (not to mention plain stupid) to smash your drone like that.
I initially thought it must have been a mini, but you mentioned OA ???? She'd be really crazy to try that with a larger drone.

Some people are just sad sacks, and think it's all about them.
Hopefully you've met your one time encounter with such a nut job, and your future will be carefree.

Personally, I would pursue it and file crimal damage charge against her.
1. You have the video proof you weren't flying over her property.
2. She has cut hand showing she did contact your drone as you say.
3. She has phone footage / recording, and this could prove you didn't attack her, and she was totally out of line . . .

Now the big ? is, did the police officer see his, hopefully get a copy ?
She may have selectively turned it off after confronting you, and not videoed the confrontation and aftermath.

The it becomes he said / she said, but I feel her story could be found inconsistent with some facts on record etc.

well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.
What drone was it that it shot up in the air due to obstacle avoidance?

Reactions: dsrepairs
I shot the drone up. She was watching her phone so I wasn't sure she knew how close she was getting. When I brought it back down she seemed pretty aware of the distance. The drone is a mavic zoom2. The police officer didn't say if he saw her video or not. My guess he didn't or I think he would have come back to talk to me.

You got bigger things to worry about than that drone, , If what you say is true about her claiming assault , you need to get a restraint order immediately before this escalates to more serious made up charges like attempted rape.
I also would get a security camera up and running as soon as possible as your word vs hers is not gong to be enough.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

The only mistake I think you made was putting the drone within her reach.
I'm with the post above, get a restraining order, go after damages, make copies of your video, get a copy of the police report and what she reported.
Keep all paperwork and correspondences. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING !!!!The more detailed the paper trail, the better your case.
I have flown mine in the front yard a bunch, but I rarely leave my property.
Oh, was she on your property?

what with all the people walking by are there no social distancing rules in place or is every body out contaminating everyone else WTH

That's why I spent 3 hours of driving around today to avoid people. The only time I literally despise people is when I'm going out to fly and everywhere I go, there they are. Every dead end country road had a car or two (probably mushroom hunters). Every trailhead parking area was packed with cars. Hell, I went to every single river boat launch for 20 miles there were people fishing at every one of them. Finally went to a nice spot down some country dirt roads surrounded by farmlands and flew there. I've been there before to do a Mavic Air distance test and only had one car drive by. This time was with Mavic 2 Pro and the whole 30 mins I was out there, not one car. On a day I fly, I don't like people, I don't trust people. lol

You say this is your neighbor, wow I don't think its gonna end here.
If your neighbor falsely claims that you assaulted her and then goes back into her house knowing she has to see you everyday she is obviously a total (deleted by moderator) nut and your gonna have problems with her again

Last edited by a moderator:
The only mistake I think you made was putting the drone within her reach.
I'm with the post above, get a restraining order, go after damages, make copies of your video, get a copy of the police report and what she reported.
Keep all paperwork and correspondences. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING !!!!The more detailed the paper trail, the better your case.
I have flown mine in the front yard a bunch, but I rarely leave my property.
Oh, was she on your property?
She wasn't on my property. When some evening walkers came by I moved the drone to the other side of the street so they wouldn't be right under it. It was about fifteen feet up and on the opposite side of the road. The woman came out of her house and crossed the road to start videoing. Unfortunately I shut off the video just before the encounter. I was wondering which flight files would best to save to show the movement of the drone before she smashed it. I think it would be important to show the drone wasn't moving when in abruptly stopped.

I was wondering which flight files would best to save to show the movement of the drone before she smashed it. I think it would be important to show the drone wasn't moving when in abruptly stopped.

Save your txt log from the flight.
Upload it here, and it will produce a very easy to follow summary of the flight, your stick movements, the drones response etc.

You can save that txt file to your device / computer, and upload it there anytime to produce a report.

Sounds like your typical crazy paranoid housewife to me.

I had an experience with one many years ago. I was looking at a house I was thinking about buying, and taking a few photos of it. I was parked at the side of the road, on the phone with the real estate agent that was selling it. One of the neighbor ladies came outside to my car, knocked very hard on my window (thought she was going to break me window) she started filming me with her cell phone, said I can't be parked on the side of the road, threatened to call the police on me and have me arrested. ? Said "she knows the police" and that I am in "big trouble".

I told her to (deleted by moderator) and got very angry with her, and she left me alone and went back in her home , I don't think she expected that reaction from me. Police never showed up, big suprise.

Needless to say I did not end up buying that house. I did not want that crazy bat as my neighbor. Good luck to whoever bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Save your txt log from the flight.
Upload it here, and it will produce a very easy to follow summary of the flight, your stick movements, the drones response etc.

You can save that txt file to your device / computer, and upload it there anytime to produce a report.
found a log file but haven't found a txt file

under the law she just commited a felony .report her
document every thing and make copies and file against her ....if ur in the usa any ways that is a felony see how she likes the charges

found a log file but haven't found a txt file
found the files I needed. Its very cool and reassuring that this data is available. The drone did go higher then I thought but it aways stayed in the front of the houses and never near hers. The drone was 0.0 MPH for a while at 4.3 ft before it abruptly terminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada