DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Day in San Francisco

Hauptmann

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Spent a long weekend visiting my son Clarke and his family. Took my Mavic along, natch. Clarke took Friday, 12/15 off work, and we shot this video. He had never flown before. I did the first few takeoffs and landings for him, but he did all the rest of the flying, and all the videography. He did the postproduction work using Adobe Premier.

Not bad, for a first time video, yes? Just goes to show how user-friendly the Mavic is.

. we also put it on Vimeo, but it has to pause to load the buffer.

Up there

Hauptmann, AKA Rich Robinson

Not bad at all for manual flying. The POI setting in the DJI Go app would have allowed a completely seamless flight around the tower without any jerkiness in the resulting video footage.

Just fly up above the POI (tower) set it as POI. Fly out to the radius that you want to film from. Press Go and click the Video record. Done.

Spent a long weekend visiting my son Clarke and his family. Took my Mavic along, natch. Clarke took Friday, 12/15 off work, and we shot this video. He had never flown before. I did the first few takeoffs and landings for him, but he did all the rest of the flying, and all the videography. He did the postproduction work using Adobe Premier.

Not bad, for a first time video, yes? Just goes to show how user-friendly the Mavic is.

. we also put it on Vimeo, but it has to pause to load the buffer.

Up there

Hauptmann, AKA Rich Robinson
Nice job!!

Did you have to get a permit for this flight?

No. We checked AirMap. The areas we flew in were not in no-fly zones. GG Park, GG bridge ARE in no-fly zones. so we didn't try. Next time we hope to, if we get permission. We were approached by people (including city employees) in two of the four venues we shot from. Nobody minded. Our DJI goggles really made a hit with those we let try them on.

I'd like to return when fog envelopes all but hills, bridge towers, and tall buildings.

Reactions: GarryB and go fast
Not bad at all for manual flying. The POI setting in the DJI Go app would have allowed a completely seamless flight around the tower without any jerkiness in the resulting video footage.

Just fly up above the POI (tower) set it as POI. Fly out to the radius that you want to film from. Press Go and click the Video record. Done.

Yeah, we thought of that after the fact. Also, we would eliminate the jerky opening. We left a lot of footage on the cutting room floor.

BTW, we got an invite to contribute from AirVuz.com. Too bad we have to work for a living.

You know whats coincidental? I was browsing the Lichti Mission Hub online to check out Missions that people have flown and came across one that has an almost identical beginning flight path as the one that you flew. Of course this person flew it autonomously with a Lichti Mission

Here is a link to the video.

You know whats coincidental? I was browsing the Lichti Mission Hub online to check out Missions that people have flown and came across one that has an almost identical beginning flight path as the one that you flew. Of course this person flew it autonomously with a Lichti Mission

Here is a link to the video.

Yeah, we saw that Litchi mission too, shot from a beach in Marin Co. (no fly zone). That's the Golden Gate bridge (also no fly zone), surprisingly the only Litchi mission in the Bay area. We shot the west span of the BAY bridge segment from the flat part of Treasure Island just next to the Churro stand.

Reactions: brichter
I’m a SF local and I keep whining that there’s no place legal to fly here. Thanks for slapping me upside the head to get me out of my funk.

By the way, should you come back. GG Park is not part of GG NRA, but sadly takeoffs and landings inside all city parks are prohibited. Sigh.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Thank you for sharing. I have had mine since the beginning of November. From my perspective I have been blessed to get a few good videos, nowhere near this nice though. I really need to learn the post production aspect of my hobby. Thank you for the reminder to get to it.

Reactions: Hauptmann
See, that’s the advantage of the Mavic. Pull it out of your pocket, flip the arms out and you’re ready to go (unnoticed).
Big drones like the Typhoon H would have drawn much more attention even before takeoff.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54