DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is my first time using YouTube Editor . I dont think its for me , what do y'all think?

• I have used Youtube Editor and i like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Roy,

I didn’t intend to offend you in any way, but as a private VFR single engine land pilot watching your video I was very uneasy about what or who I might not see in the clouds. And, you lost visual line of sight of your drone.

Reactions: Roy Rogers
Roy,

I didn’t intend to offend you in any way, but as a private VFR single engine land pilot watching your video I was very uneasy about what or who I might not see in the clouds. And, you lost visual line of sight of your drone.
not offended .
sighs … This is my take of point I flew to the edge of the FOG and returned in this 6 min flight.

Smoke and mirrors for a nice 1 min shot

Attachments

• Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
I think some common sense could be used here by the FAA police in this thread. I'm going to assume there's no airport nearby or that this area is frequented by aircraft. I'd like to think that most people in this forum at least have some common sense and are somewhat knowledgable about drones and the regulations. So I doubt Roy was doing anything dangerous here. Its those random people on YouTube who get a drone for their birthday and take it right up to 2000 ft that you have to worry about IMO.

From what I can tell in the video, if there's an aircraft flying that low through fog that isn't even that high, then that aircraft has a major issue IMO. As long as this location isn't near a heliport or an airport then I think common sense would tell you that its ok to fly where Roy flew.

This is from the FAA website. I don't know if this applies to recreational flyers or not.

"If there are clouds, the UA must be at least 500 feet below the clouds and at least 2,000 feet horizontally from the clouds.

And just a quick note on that last point, because I get this question from students quite a bit. The cloud clearance language is a bit confusing.

What the FAA is saying is that if you’re flying directly below clouds or a cloud base, you need to make sure that you’re at least 500 feet below the clouds. You can fly directly below clouds, you just need to maintain that distance. If you see clouds, but they are not directly above your UAV, then you do not need to maintain the 500 foot part of the rule.

But what about 2,000 feet?

If you’re flying at the same altitude as clouds, like if you were in a mountainous environment, you need to distance yourself horizontally from those clouds at least 2,000 feet. The 2,000 feet part of this rule only applies horizontally, meaning if you’re operating at the same altitude as the clouds."

I think some common sense could be used here by the FAA police in this thread. I'm going to assume there's no airport nearby or that this area is frequented by aircraft. I'd like to think that most people in this forum at least have some common sense and are somewhat knowledgable about drones and the regulations. So I doubt Roy was doing anything dangerous here. Its those random people on YouTube who get a drone for their birthday and take it right up to 2000 ft that you have to worry about IMO.

From what I can tell in the video, if there's an aircraft flying that low through fog that isn't even that high, then that aircraft has a major issue IMO. As long as this location isn't near a heliport or an airport then I think common sense would tell you that its ok to fly where Roy flew.
Not necessarily a major issue if he is flying above the fog. If he is flying just above the fog and hits a drone, then he has a major issue!

Suggestion: Im trying to get smooth pans and tilts with mine also- try thinking of moving the camera diagonally across and down or up at the same time, its helping my pans and tilts smooth out a lot too. Nice misic too!

Peace fellow droner

To the Roy , hope it was fun. I love flying in fog , clouds , water vapor , smoke whatever you call it. Especially when your only 200 , 250 , agl. Lets do it again.

I posted this a while ago and got some negative feedback. Maybe you should appreciate it
Your footage is sooooooooooooo much better then mine ! it is also 100% safe !!! hope you got some bananas for when that space Monkey comes around .

Amazing footage and thanks for sharing!

hey , your only fault is living in California , lol move to hills of Tennessee n you wont have those kinda problems !
I still cant find the FAA rules your quoting . but i agree about the clouds i am hoping fate , timing , opertunity line up for me to get a above the clouds timelaps near a mountain edge ! it will be AMAZING :cool:
ugh. Doesn't flying a drone in California cause cancer?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54