DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

a few questions about the Mavic Mini

Sebodrone is correct. If you are in S mode when activating RTH you can accelerate back to S speed by pushing the right stick forward (mode 2) while maintaining RTH.

I also did push my MM past P speed in RTH... I think you need to be in S before the RTH is initiated, and you can also yaw freely (orientation), the drone will keep coming home.

By default, RTH speed is 28km/h (max speed without touching sticks) if you are in P mode while RTH you can push the stick and you will go above 30 if you are in S mode you will hit 46km/h assuming no wind situation.

In other words to have fastest speed while in RTH you should be in S mode while invoking RTH and having stick fully forward.

In other words to have fastest speed while in RTH you should be in S mode while invoking RTH and having stick fully forward.
sebodrone, would you mind if i ask you to post a log from you? i want to see when you are in rth, when you push the stick up if the speed will increase...thank you

please post a log with this if you don't mind
logs will show you:

Flight mode Go Home does not matter what mode you are in, but you will have different speedsdepending how you move the sticks.

Go home in P mode full stick forward 36km/h
1580416592587.png

Go Home in S mode full stick forward:(against the wind so no full 46km/h)
1580416645417.png

Go Home S mode no stick imput 28km/h
1580416679386.png

Go Home P mode no stick input same speed 28km/h

1580416738719.png

hmmm....i didn't know that and nobody said that, you are the first one who said that, i will try of course with my drone, but i wonder why those people that they lost their drone by flyaway do not push the speed stick full power.....or they just stayed and waiting for the drone coming back home?

hmmm....i didn't know that and nobody said that, you are the first one who said that, i will try of course with my drone, but i wonder why those people that they lost their drone by flyaway do not push the speed stick full power.....or they just stayed and waiting for the drone coming back home?

why would anyone push the stick if they just pressed RTH :) and belive magic will happen every time :) I'm suspecting 99% of people press RTH and don't even look at the screen or monitor the drone, just set it and forget it.

Reactions: WooZie
sebodrone, would you mind if i ask you to post a log from you? i want to see when you are in rth, when you push the stick up if the speed will increase...thank you

no stickinput 28km/h

1580422737802.png

full stick forward in P mode speed quickly increases to 35km/h

1580422771853.png

From the User Manual:
During RTH, the aircraft's speed, altitude, and the orientation can be controlled using the remote controller or DJI Fly if the remote controller signal is normal, but the direction of flight cannot be controlled.

Are some people reporting that their Mini does not behave this way?

If you fly backwards, you can’t see where you are going. VLOS can sometimes be misleading. A friend flew into a tree that way and destroyed his drone. It wasn’t a MM.

Thank God it was not a Mavic Mini hey.... Mavic Mini is like my absolutely favorite drone ever, best lil fella to fly around! The 2.7K QHD is pretty clear and sharp and really really high quality, especially the details, wow! Also I use 1080p 60fps for making videos of moving things, like people playing sport or car traffic on a busy street. I don't go for the Cinematic type of looking content, look & feel - I prefer everything in my video to be super clear and sharp, with great detail and in focus.

Thank God it was not a Mavic Mini hey.... Mavic Mini is like my absolutely favorite drone ever, best lil fella to fly around! The 2.7K QHD is pretty clear and sharp and really really high quality, especially the details, wow! Also I use 1080p 60fps for making videos of moving things, like people playing sport or car traffic on a busy street. I don't go for the Cinematic type of looking content, look & feel - I prefer everything in my video to be super clear and sharp, with great detail and in focus.
I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Cinematic mode just slows down drone movements to make camera motion smoother. If anything, that would make the image sharper -- less motion blur -- when the drone is moving or turning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Cinematic mode just slows down drone movements to make camera motion smoother. If anything, that would make the image sharper -- less motion blur -- when the drone is moving or turning.

No bro, I also though that Cinematic means just super smooth and slow, gradual movement of the camera - but it turns out that there is a whole lot more to shooting Cinematic than just what you mention. :)

have a look here: Cinematic techniques - Wikipedia

And about my previous post's last sentence that you asked about - yeah it implies a little that I'm portraying the opposite of Cinematic but I'm not really. I'm just saying the that I like to shoot in 2.7K as to get that super crisp picture. In Cinematic you mostly have different blurs, like motion blur which I don't really like - I like the in-focus, sharp, clear looking video. Also the smooth movement, sometimes I like to just turn abruptly and suddenly or just do a sharp move for fun or something, stuff like that.

I like to fly normally, and normally is not Cinematic - I guess that's all was really trying to say.

cool cool

No bro, I also though that Cinematic means just super smooth and slow, gradual movement of the camera - but it turns out that there is a whole lot more to shooting Cinematic than just what you mention. :)

have a look here: Cinematic techniques - Wikipedia

And about my previous post's last sentence that you asked about - yeah it implies a little that I'm portraying the opposite of Cinematic but I'm not really. I'm just saying the that I like to shoot in 2.7K as to get that super crisp picture. In Cinematic you mostly have different blurs, like motion blur which I don't really like - I like the in-focus, sharp, clear looking video. Also the smooth movement, sometimes I like to just turn abruptly and suddenly or just do a sharp move for fun or something, stuff like that.

I like to fly normally, and normally is not Cinematic - I guess that's all was really trying to say.

cool cool

IMO, it depends on what the subject and/or purpose of your video is. If the main subject is that you have a camera on a quadcopter and the purpose is just to show it zipping around the sky, then anything you do to remind the viewer of that -- e.g. rapid panning -- adds to the story-telling. If, however, the main subject is the landscape or architecture that you're flying around, then anything that distracts from that subject -- e.g. rapid panning -- subverts your purpose. You don't want the viewer thinking about the drone at all, much less wondering if it just bumped into something or wondering why the camera operator is having trouble finding a framing that he likes. One important aspect of "cinematic" is that shots are well planned, not ad hoc, and any camera movement is smoothly executed. I'm certainly not suggesting that should be everyone's objective every time they send up their drones; I'm just suggesting that you think about the purpose of shooting video each time and use appropriate techniques. Personally, I have dozens of toy drones, many with cameras, that satisfy my enjoyment of flying drones, but I bought the Mini specifically as a camera drone to get "good" video, which takes more than good image quality.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
IMO, it depends on what the subject and/or purpose of your video is. If the main subject is that you have a camera on a quadcopter and the purpose is just to show it zipping around the sky, then anything you do to remind the viewer of that -- e.g. rapid panning -- adds to the story-telling. If, however, the main subject is the landscape or architecture that you're flying around, then anything that distracts from that subject -- e.g. rapid panning -- subverts your purpose. You don't want the viewer thinking about the drone at all, much less wondering if it just bumped into something or wondering why the camera operator is having trouble finding a framing that he likes. One important aspect of "cinematic" is that shots are well planned, not ad hoc, and any camera movement is smoothly executed. I'm certainly not suggesting that should be everyone's objective every time they send up their drones; I'm just suggesting that you think about the purpose of shooting video each time and use appropriate techniques. Personally, I have dozens of toy drones, many with cameras, that satisfy my enjoyment of flying drones, but I bought the Mini specifically as a camera drone to get "good" video, which takes more than good image quality.

That's cool. :)

I'm new to drones, its my very first drone. I have 5 years experience flying 3D 6CH micro-helicopters, so controlling the Mini is really super simple that thing basically flies itself - you just gotta push it around in the sky/air. Meanwhile flying one of my 3D helicopters takes real skill, and that is also real flying - you are the Flight Controller even responsible for just keeping the heli in one spot in the air, constantly making hundreds of adjustments! That's why I love the Mini, it's super awesome to fly around!

Yes absolutely right you are about the fact that it all depends, it all depends on what you want to do with your drone - the type of videos you wanna make! I'm certainly just messing around with mine, making videos for fun while I enjoy flying the little machine. I also have tried a few other cheaper smaller drones over the years(they each lasted a few days only), but they were not even GPS enabled - they actually flew much like my 3D helis! LOL Now the Mini has changed all that for me! I can actually take my eyes off the drone for a moment without crashing it, and it has some amazing features!

cool cool

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki