DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A good in depth article about the FAA's proposed $182K.

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Here is a good article about how the FAA came up with the proposed fine, and why.

Moral of the story, don't ignore the FAA when they're trying to reach out to you.

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing Vic!!

Reactions: Vic Moss
Excellent article. Thanks for sharing Vic!!
I was texting back and forth with Jonathan about something else and he let me know he just published it.

Literally "hot off the presses". In modern form of course.

Reactions: BigAl07
Good article. I don't know that there are any of us that from time to time don't inadvertantly (hopefully not intentionally) violate the rules (VLOS is the one that comes to mind). But if you get warned and are blatant enough to continue to do gross violations in spite of multiple warnings you deserve to get slapped hard. $182k? Probably overkill, like hitting a stubborn mule over the head with a 2x4 to get his attention. I suspect the violator will plea bargain the fine down to something that is more reasonable. But that $182k figure got all of our attention, no?

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Good article. I don't know that there are any of us that from time to time don't inadvertently (hopefully not intentionally) violate the rules (VLOS is the one that comes to mind). But if you get warned and are blatant enough to continue to do gross violations in spite of multiple warnings you deserve to get slapped hard. $182k? Probably overkill, like hitting a stubborn mule over the head with a 2x4 to get his attention. I suspect the violator will plea bargain the fine down to something that is more reasonable. But that $182k figure got all of our attention, no?
VLOS is virtually impossible to maintain. Especially with smaller drones.

And anyone who flies in urban environments and says they've never flown over someone is probably fooling themselves.

It's all about risk mitigation and being safe. There is no such thing as a 100% safe drone flight. Its our job to make them as safe as humanly possible.

VLOS is virtually impossible to maintain. Especially with smaller drones.

And anyone who flies in urban environments and says they've never flown over someone is probably fooling themselves.

It's all about risk mitigation and being safe. There is no such thing as a 100% safe drone flight. Its our job to make them as safe as humanly possible.
You're right. VLOS is difficult. I fly with strobes 99.9% of the time to enhance my VLOS, especially during the day. I've done tests with strobes and the farthest out I can fly straight out during normal conditions is around 1600' before losing sight even with a 4 strobe setup.

When you have been identified, officially warned, and then continue to violate regulations, you are officially an idiot.
"Official FAA idiot". I wonder if I can get them to create a designation for that? ?

Yes this one has been around for awhile.

Good article. I don't know that there are any of us that from time to time don't inadvertantly (hopefully not intentionally) violate the rules (VLOS is the one that comes to mind). But if you get warned and are blatant enough to continue to do gross violations in spite of multiple warnings you deserve to get slapped hard. $182k? Probably overkill, like hitting a stubborn mule over the head with a 2x4 to get his attention. I suspect the violator will plea bargain the fine down to something that is more reasonable. But that $182k figure got all of our attention, no?
But that $182K figure probably translates into at least $10K of attorney fees.

Watching his videos it sounds to me like this guy may have mental issues or cognitive processing challenges and I’m not just making fun of the guy. I feel sorry for him. I really get the sense he doesn’t have the capacity to understand what is happening to him. or at least that’s what I hope.

He just posted another video 2 days ago that the FAA surely wouldn’t approve of. I hope the guy gets the professional help he needs.

Watching his videos it sounds to me like this guy may have mental issues or cognitive processing challenges and I’m not just making fun of the guy. I feel sorry for him. I really get the sense he doesn’t have the capacity to understand what is happening to him. or at least that’s what I hope.

He just posted another video 2 days ago that the FAA surely wouldn’t approve of. I hope the guy gets the professional help he needs.
Wowsers! Check it on the map!

I refuse to view anything on his channel. Views can increase his monetization on YouTube, which from my perspective, indicates tacit approval on my part of his actions.

I see EXACTLY what you're talking about. I watched less than 5 minutes and I couldn't take a second more.

Here is a good article about how the FAA came up with the proposed fine, and why.

Moral of the story, don't ignore the FAA when they're trying to reach out to you.

Philly Drone Life, aka Mikey, has been giving the middle finger to FAA by continually flying Illegally, Unsafely, and Irresponsibly for a long time. He finally caught their attention.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet