DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Hello, A Story and A Question!

dandy87

Reactions
Greetings from Jakarta!
I recently bought a Mavic Pro, to make a quite big jump from my Tello.

Being used to Tello, never flew a Spark, a Mavic Air, a Mavic Mini, and make a straight jump to a Mavic Pro, is indeed an experience I should have taken with extra caution, as the drone profile is very different.

I made a fatal newbie pilot error just in my first flight with the Pro, as I flew way too fast straight to a tree. Something that I could have avoided with a Tello, but I couldn't (yet) with a Pro. The drone hit a tree branches, made a hard ricochet to my (sister in law!) car, and slammed to the ground.
Broke a spring in rear leg, cracked the rear body, torn the propellers, smashed my heart in to pieces ?
Brought it to the drone service, have it repaired, but unfortunately it still has 'battle scars' all over the body.
The lesson has been learned, I've took the bad medicine. Be very very very very careful when you're flying a different beast than you're used to. Now that the drone has been repaired, although the scars are all still there, I know I need more and more flight time lo learn how to control and go adapt to this drone. Still, I do feel a bit reluctant just to turn on the drone and arm the motor, as I might still have the trauma from my first flight.

Anyway, that's the story.
And now, I have a question ?
I used to use the UAV Forecast apps before. The apps was good because it has a wind profile for each altitude. But recently, I couldn't get any data from the apps. I have tried to uninstall-reinstall, contacted the developer, without a result. Is there any other apps out there (for Android) that has that kind of information and display just like the UAV Forecast?

Reactions: wjkrysak
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your first "lesson". Happy to hear that you are back in the air. You will find all sorts of support on the forum. Enjoy your flying.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Greetings from Jakarta!

Being used to Tello, never flew a Spark, a Mavic Air, a Mavic Mini, and make a straight jump to a Mavic Pro, is indeed an experience I should have taken with extra caution, as the drone profile is very different.

I made a fatal newbie pilot error just in my first flight with the Pro, as I flew way too fast straight to a tree. Something that I could have avoided with a Tello, but I couldn't (yet) with a Pro. The drone hit a tree branches, made a hard ricochet to my (sister in law!) car, and slammed to the ground.
Broke a spring in rear leg, cracked the rear body, torn the propellers, smashed my heart in to pieces ?
Brought it to the drone service, have it repaired, but unfortunately it still has 'battle scars' all over the body.
The lesson has been learned, I've took the bad medicine. Be very very very very careful when you're flying a different beast than you're used to. Now that the drone has been repaired, although the scars are all still there, I know I need more and more flight time lo learn how to control and go adapt to this drone. Still, I do feel a bit reluctant just to turn on the drone and arm the motor, as I might still have the trauma from my first flight.

I used to use the UAV Forecast apps before. The apps was good because it has a wind profile for each altitude. But recently, I couldn't get any data from the apps. I have tried to uninstall-reinstall, contacted the developer, without a result. Is there any other apps out there (for Android) that has that kind of information and display just like the UAV Forecast?

Welcome to the forum.
The M1P was my first drone, still fly it, inherited a Spark and like flying that too sometimes.
Always learning something with the drone hobby.

You might have been in sports mode ?
If so, a lot longer braking time / distance is required at full speed.

Glad it's fixed and you can look at those battle scars with some gentle reminder of its limitations (and your experience) when about to fly.

UAV forecast ?
If the same as my app of that name, I just click on the Wind Profile along the bottom menu bar, it brings up altitudes and wind / gust speeds, and temps.
Everything seems to work in the menu bar, I'm using IOS though.

What I'd also like on there is wind direction at various altitudes, but I guess that might be difficult to even predict in that scope of information.

Hi dandy8 welcome to Mavic Pilots.

Lesson learned – Trees are evil.
As to the trauma get yourself to a wide open space & enjoy yourself, you will soon get over it.

Thank you! Indeed they are evil. Will go to a wider open space as soon as the Covid has subsided.

welcome to the forum

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your first "lesson". Happy to hear that you are back in the air. You will find all sorts of support on the forum. Enjoy your flying.

Thank you! I will dive into the forum to make notes here and there before another flight, for sure!

That was a hard lesson learned. When I get a new drone I always take it out to an open field to see how it’s going to perform. Take it up high enough where there are no trees can’t hit nothing up there. Although people have. Lol

It was very hard, indeed. My mistake, didn't take it to the wider and more open space as I really wanted to fly, but there's a lockdown ban around my area. Will do as soon as the lockdown has been lifted!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

Thank you all for the warm greetings!

Welcome to the forum.
The M1P was my first drone, still fly it, inherited a Spark and like flying that too sometimes.
Always learning something with the drone hobby.

You might have been in sports mode ?
If so, a lot longer braking time / distance is required at full speed.

Glad it's fixed and you can look at those battle scars with some gentle reminder of its limitations (and your experience) when about to fly.

UAV forecast ?
If the same as my app of that name, I just click on the Wind Profile along the bottom menu bar, it brings up altitudes and wind / gust speeds, and temps.
Everything seems to work in the menu bar, I'm using IOS though.

What I'd also like on there is wind direction at various altitudes, but I guess that might be difficult to even predict in that scope of information.

Thank you!
Nope, it wasn't sport mode. It was more on my silly mistake when I'm about to descend, and it was too close to a tree and a car parked next to it. So yeah, the scar will be a good reminder for me.

Yes it's the same UAV Forecast. But recently, on two of my android phones, the apps really doesn't work. It opens, but always shows 'unable to fetch the info', thus there's no data at all being displayed. As I mentioned earlier, I have tried to uninstall-reinstall and contacted the developer, without a result.
Do you have any other apps that provides similar display and information like the UAV Forecast?

It opens, but always shows 'unable to fetch the info', thus there's no data at all being displayed.
Do you have any other apps that provides similar display and information like the UAV Forecast?

Ah, I have had that message in the past too !!
It might be just a certain time the info isn't there for a region ?
Keep trying, mine came good after a day or three.

I do really like Ventusky, and use the web based free service, it has ALL weather data you could wish for, forecast ahead for a day or more, wind at various altitudes, rain, temp, all sorts of things.

They do have an app, low cost, I haven't bothered.
Check Google Play if it's on there, it is on IOS.

To tell you the truth, I never look at these apps on location, and only use them in the planning of trips out.
On site, I use a few methods to ensure wind isn't going to be an issue.
Mostly ideal wind direction to fly out / back safely, tree tops for any signs of gusting, terrain for possible wind tunnels / updrafts etc, and when ascending, I watch the 'attitude bowl' closely.
It shows the drone tilting and is easy to see what's happening up higher.

Always have a plan.
If you find your drone blowing away, have it already worked out what you will do.
# 1 is descend as fast as possible
# 2 have an idea of surrounding terrain, in case you need to use the camera and land somewhere

Ah, I have had that message in the past too !!
It might be just a certain time the info isn't there for a region ?
Keep trying, mine came good after a day or three.

I do really like Ventusky, and use the web based free service, it has ALL weather data you could wish for, forecast ahead for a day or more, wind at various altitudes, rain, temp, all sorts of things.

They do have an app, low cost, I haven't bothered.
Check Google Play if it's on there, it is on IOS.

To tell you the truth, I never look at these apps on location, and only use them in the planning of trips out.
On site, I use a few methods to ensure wind isn't going to be an issue.
Mostly ideal wind direction to fly out / back safely, tree tops for any signs of gusting, terrain for possible wind tunnels / updrafts etc, and when ascending, I watch the 'attitude bowl' closely.
It shows the drone tilting and is easy to see what's happening up higher.

Always have a plan.
If you find your drone blowing away, have it already worked out what you will do.
# 1 is descend as fast as possible
# 2 have an idea of surrounding terrain, in case you need to use the camera and land somewhere

The app has been unable to show the data for almost a month, on every regions.

I'll try the Ventusky, thank you.

Previously, I used the app a lot for my Tello as there has been few times I tried to fly my Tello to its limit (and you know the Tello is very limited, outdoor in just a slight wind).
So yes, with Tello, the wind data from the app (wind altitude, direction, gust speed, etc), combined with a carefully calculated flight plan, has helped me in flying my Tello safely in the border of its limit. I think, that factor contributed a lot to my crash with the MP1, as I was overjoyed with the strong GPS, strong acceleration, and neglected the careful aspect in flying! ?

I'm making a lot of note right now from your post, thanks! Hoping that the Covid gone for good, and I'll be able to practice more on a wider area.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Greetings from Jakarta!

Welcome to the forum.
Trees can be unforgiving but some of the hardest lessons learnt are the hardest to experience. Have fun from here on.

Reactions: dandy87
That is a very sad story :(

My first flight with the Zoom, it traveled about 5 Km's in a 5 foot circle !

It is sad, indeed ?

Do you mean you were travelling just round and round the circle for 5km? ?

Welcome to the forum.
Trees can be unforgiving but some of the hardest lessons learnt are the hardest to experience. Have fun from here on.

Yes, unfortunately for now I can only fly in my garden with lots of trees. Have to wait until the corona subsided and I can fly my MP in a more open space on a field nearby. For now, I'll just enjoy flying with a Tello ?

Welcome to the forum! :)

It is sad, indeed ?

Do you mean you were travelling just round and round the circle for 5km? ?

Yes, unfortunately for now I can only fly in my garden with lots of trees. Have to wait until the corona subsided and I can fly my MP in a more open space on a field nearby. For now, I'll just enjoy flying with a Tello ?

Laughing... Yes .. my first flight was a whole battery of keeping the drone about 10 feet away. Didn't know how it was going to react! I couldn't believe how stable it was!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78