DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Horrah for Explore Mode

Mantrain

Reactions
I know Explore mode has gotten a lot of bad press. It is a tiny little camera after all. But here is an image of the South Bay of Sa Diego. That is the island of North Coronado in the background. That island is in Mexico and my drone is on top of Cowles Mountain. The distance is about 40 to 50 miles and i'm thinking more like 50.

Last edited:
I know Explore mode has gotten a lot of bad press. It is a tiny little camera after all. But here is an image of the South Bay of Sa Diego. That is the island of North Coronado in the background. That island is in Mexico and my drone is on top of Cowles Mountain. The distance is about 40 to 50 miles and i'm thinking more like 50.

It's horrible. Muddy, blurry, trees indistinct and clumped together, no details. No wonder it's getting bad press.

Anything other than 7x is digitally magnified and there will be loss of image quality. There's no way getting around this.

I purchased the M3 after the December update. Flys great with no issues and super quiet. I was very disappointed with the zoom and the 7x was ok. I did use the explore mode to perform a search and rescue of a neighbors dock but photos were for crap.

After the January firmware update, I am very pleased with the zoom on this. I believe the 14x is very usable and even the 28x is significantly better. The current state of the zoom will allow me to use for inspections and produce good photos. I suspect the next firmware update will make it even better.

Here is a quick test of the zoom looking at a metal roof from 275 feet and from 75 feet. This will now enable me to fly a little safer away from what I am inspecting and still get good close ups.

At the 75 feet test, the 14x and even the 28x shows a pretty good image of the roof fasteners. I look forward to putting it through some paces for towers.

I purchased the M3 after the December update. Flys great with no issues and super quiet. I was very disappointed with the zoom and the 7x was ok. I did use the explore mode to perform a search and rescue of a neighbors dock but photos were for crap.

After the January firmware update, I am very pleased with the zoom on this. I believe the 14x is very usable and even the 28x is significantly better. The current state of the zoom will allow me to use for inspections and produce good photos. I suspect the next firmware update will make it even better.

Here is a quick test of the zoom looking at a metal roof from 275 feet and from 75 feet. This will now enable me to fly a little safer away from what I am inspecting and still get good close ups.

At the 75 feet test, the 14x and even the 28x shows a pretty good image of the roof fasteners. I look forward to putting it through some paces for towers.
After the firmware update, dji improved the quality of the tele lens significantly. I was very happy with the results.

Reactions: SkywalkerFeng
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d