DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

a minor "crash", or a flip ..

kakao

Reactions
Hi guys,

just wondering if this is normal for this part on the other side of the motor (sorry, don't know the name of the part) to be tiny rattly and not like the other one on the other rear leg, which feels fully glued and not moving at all?!!

To be more precise, when I touch it, it feels like its not fully 'glued''and has a very little play. It doesn't look like it'll fall off, or anything like that.

The part is circled in the below photo.

BEBTOLQ.jpg

2 days ago I've landed on a plastic sheet that I've used when taking off.
The bird fully landed, but before I shut off the motors one end of the sheet (pushed by the wind) came in contact with the left rear propeller and my bird flipped over on its back. Nothing major, except for the damaged propeller, which I've replaced with the new one.

Do I need to fix anything and is this part suppose to be changed or replaced?

I have started the motors with the new propeller, everything seems normal, but I did not fly the bird.

Thoughts please ..

Check your LR motor for any type of scatchiness or binding and make sure the motor shaft spins without wobbling which could mean a bent motor shaft.. Even though the motors might start, it doesnt mean the LR is spinning as freely as the others.

The motor cap should be on firmly and not move at all. If yours is moving, I would pull it off with a vice grips after covering the cap with duct tape and examine it. One of the tabs might be broken or bent and that will keep it from snapping in like it should. I sell replacements.

Last edited:
Thunderdrones, thank you for your reply.

I've looked at the motor axle without propellers, it doesn't seem bent to me, in idle and motor off situations.

The REV meter on the RC reads approx 2,000 idle (never paid attention to this before, I guess its how it should be).

As I understood you, I put the tape over the cap, is that right?
Now I need to 'unscrew' the cap counter clock wise?

jKr8QGV.jpg

Last edited:
Now I need to 'unscrew' the cap counter clock wise?

Nice tape job, thats exactly what I was talking about. All you need to do now is get a firm grip with a pliers and pull it straight up, dont turn it. It might take a couple of gorilla tugs to get it off. If the tape rips, put another piece on and try it again. Do your best not to scratch the motor cap. Getting it back in is a "snap." Just remember the orientation it was at before you took it off.

The best way I have found to check if your motor shaft is bent is to place the MP on a flat surface and use a ruler to measure the distance from the flat surface to the very tip of the propeller as it extends from the arm. Then without moving the ruler, turn the propeller 180 degrees so that the opposite tip can now be measured. Compare the 2 readings.
They should be identical.

The lug is cracked on the top!

That could have come from the removal process and wont affect it if the OP bends it back into place.

All the other parts looks ok. What you could do is use a flexible adhesive such as shoe goo or Loctitite Flexible Adhesive and apply a tiny dab on the outside of the tabs where each of the yellow circles are. Dont use too much, just in case you need to take it off again, and also, you dont want it getting in to the motor. The glue will hold it in place really well, allow you to remove it again later, and stop any movement in the future. You can wipe off the excess with your finger, and then have fun peeling it off your finger after it dries. :)

rear motor cap 2.jpg

Loctite flexible adhesive.jpeg

Reactions: tictag
Thank you for all your help, now ordering the adhesive.
Can you please confirm that the below video of the gimbal movement is normal when left stick on the RC is moved left and right (I didn't notice this previously)?!??

Thats normal. If you were airborne, your drone would yaw that direction. The little movement that you see is to stabilize the gimbal, not to pan.

Ahh ... I do actually have a good landing pad at home, but the above happened away, at a camping site, where I used a simple plastic sheet which wasn't 'stiff' enough, so the propeller turbulence lifted one end of the sheet, and caused all this trouble.

Lesson learned for sure .. cheers.

:)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErieSkyPixel