DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A newbie - first steps

Lyndon5

Reactions
New Australian pilot checking in. My wife threw me a wonderful 70th birthday weekend, with friends and family flying in from everywhere. Her surprise gift was a DJI Mavic Pro. I am really enjoying learning how to fly. I read the manual and watched some YouTube – I found Ed Ricker’s videos the most helpful for a newbie.

I bought a second battery, and some hardshells on Amazon to carry the drone and the controller. I ride a bike for exercise, about 10km a day, if I can, so I put the hardshells into my bike saddlebag and head for a nearby park or sportsground. I do a compass calibration before each flight in a new park.

I’ve never been much good at eye-hand coordination joystick video games (everyone beats me – it’s frustrating!) so I am spending a lot of time flying in squares, ovals and figure-eights at increasing altitudes just to get comfortable.

Landing in longish grass is a problem, as the Mavic Pro is pretty low to the ground – so I bought some landing gear extensions from

Landing Gear – Shock Absorbing – for DJI Mavic Pro | Drone Accessories Australia

I have focused on learning how to fly first. Now I am learning to shoot short videos and take still photos without losing control of the aircraft :).

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . :)

Have fun flying! My advice would be to get a landing pad. I experienced similar problems with tall grass. I bought the landing gear extensions first and then ditched them after I got the pad.

New Australian pilot checking in. My wife threw me a wonderful 70th birthday weekend, with friends and family flying in from everywhere. Her surprise gift was a DJI Mavic Pro. I am really enjoying learning how to fly. I read the manual and watched some YouTube – I found Ed Ricker’s videos the most helpful for a newbie.

I bought a second battery, and some hardshells on Amazon to carry the drone and the controller. I ride a bike for exercise, about 10km a day, if I can, so I put the hardshells into my bike saddlebag and head for a nearby park or sportsground. I do a compass calibration before each flight in a new park.

I’ve never been much good at eye-hand coordination joystick video games (everyone beats me – it’s frustrating!) so I am spending a lot of time flying in squares, ovals and figure-eights at increasing altitudes just to get comfortable.

Landing in longish grass is a problem, as the Mavic Pro is pretty low to the ground – so I bought some landing gear extensions from

Landing Gear – Shock Absorbing – for DJI Mavic Pro | Drone Accessories Australia

I have focused on learning how to fly first. Now I am learning to shoot short videos and take still photos without losing control of the aircraft :).
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: Xanadu and Thomas B
Have fun flying! My advice would be to get a landing pad. I experienced similar problems with tall grass. I bought the landing gear extensions first and then ditched them after I got the pad.
That is a very good idea - i will get a foldable one.

Reactions: Thomas B
That is a very good idea - i will get a foldable one.

Welcome to the forums Lyndon, I'm enjoying my MP too, after a couple fo years I'm getting the hang of it :)
I have the short leg extensions, but used them only a couple of times . . . was considering a landing pad, but opt for hand launching and catching if the landing area is not suitable.

You are doing the right thing with Youtube.
While this forum is great to read and contribute to, learning loads, Youtube is just a mecca of tutorials, and beside Ed Rickers, there are many good tutors on there, and many excellent videos on almost all aspects of the MP (and others).
I have spent many many hours just surfing Youtube from one to the next, sometimes being distracted with the even more prevalent Russian and other dashcam channels !!! :D

Being involved in a proper learning curve as you appear, I expect you are found and are fully aware of CASA requirements for drone flying in Oz, and have the 'Can I Fly There' app to check areas.
That was one of the early things you pick up on forums etc . . . out of interest, did your DJI package have an info sheet in it from CASA ?
They are supposed to include one (mine didn't back when it came).

Enjoy the Mavic and safe flying.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are on the right track. I second the suggestion together a lading pad.

Welcome from the Chicago area, I use landing pads as well. But sometimes its not convenient or not possible to use. Like to use landing pads on a beach, dusty road. But in addition I fly with Arris Raptor skids. Very useful, when attaching extra lights, additional locating device, when flying over water, easy to clip on pontoons. in the event it takes a unexpected dive into a river. Great to have you on this Forum, last count I think we have some 85,000 members from all over the world. I keep learning every day, its like going to school always learning. I learn from other members bad experiences, and hope it never happens to me. Anyway Fly safe and have fun.

Reactions: Xanadu
Welcome...... I am exactly where you started from.....learning to Fly.
What a great present that must av been (Wow)
I have flown only for 6 mins in the garden but looking forward to learning like you said above.

Ps I guess you are expert by now ..... good luck and pass me any tips you may have for me

Regards

MK AS-L

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and advice here. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak