DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A.P.: What you need to know about the DJI drone ban in the U.S.

What actual action taken by the FCC are you basing those assumptions on? When Huawei and the others were added to the Covered List, the FCC did not revoke the approval for existing equipment.
There is no "approval for existing equipment" to revoke; that's why it didn't happen with Huawei.

What do you think about this?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is no "approval for existing equipment" to revoke; that's why it didn't happen with Huawei.

Summarily irrelevant - if your goal with this line of thought was to demonstrate your lack of radio frequency knowledge you are on the road to success.

GMRS is on FCC regulated frequency bands. Our drones are not. Transmit power for the public wireless bands (which we are using) is for short range transmissions only and the FCC would need a network of antennae with transmitters every 3 or 4 miles across the entire country in order to prevent us from using these frequency bands. No such grid exists and it would cost billions no one is willing to spend.

Yikes. Between the stuff on his wall and the shirt that he was wearing, I could see the crazy starting to build. I'll take a hard pass on videos like that. Show me an actual news article with references and a link to the applicable FCC rule, then you can have a real conversation over a real issue....

So I assume that you are referring to GMRS repeaters not being allowed to be linked to the Internet? In that case, the FCC does not allow linked repeaters. That has nothing to do with DJI being added to the Covered List.

Reactions: Torque and MS Coast

Sen. Tester to introduce bill cracking down on Chinese-made drones​

Tester’s office notes his version of the Countering CCP Drones Act would do the following:

• Add Chinese drone manufacturing DJI to the Federal Communications Commission “Covered List,” which would prohibit the company’s drones from connecting to U.S. communications infrastructure;
  • Require the Department of Defense to determine whether other Chinese drone manufacturers should be added to the list of Chinese military companies operating in the United States; and
  • Establish a grant program for state and local law enforcement agencies to replace their existing DJI systems with U.S.-made drones.

Sen. Tester to introduce bill cracking down on Chinese-made drones​

Tester’s office notes his version of the Countering CCP Drones Act would do the following:

• Add Chinese drone manufacturing DJI to the Federal Communications Commission “Covered List,” which would prohibit the company’s drones from connecting to U.S. communications infrastructure;
  • Require the Department of Defense to determine whether other Chinese drone manufacturers should be added to the list of Chinese military companies operating in the United States; and
  • Establish a grant program for state and local law enforcement agencies to replace their existing DJI systems with U.S.-made drones.

Amazing - worth noting that my drone (Mavic 3 Pro) has never connected to U.S. communications infrastructure and can only use public wifi frequencies to connect directly to my RC Pro controller. My controller can only communicate using wifi (it has no cellular data transceiver) to get an internet connection - and internet carrier communications networks are private companies (I used to work for one).

Last edited:
Summarily irrelevant - if your goal with this line of thought was to demonstrate your lack of radio frequency knowledge you are on the road to success.

GMRS is on FCC regulated frequency bands. Our drones are not. Transmit power for the public wireless bands (which we are using) is for short range transmissions only and the FCC would need a network of antennae with transmitters every 3 or 4 miles across the entire country in order to prevent us from using these frequency bands. No such grid exists and it would cost billions no one is willing to spend.
Yikes. Between the stuff on his wall and the shirt that he was wearing, I could see the crazy starting to build. I'll take a hard pass on videos like that. Show me an actual news article with references and a link to the applicable FCC rule, then you can have a real conversation over a real issue....

So I assume that you are referring to GMRS repeaters not being allowed to be linked to the Internet? In that case, the FCC does not allow linked repeaters. That has nothing to do with DJI being added to the Covered List.
Don't know anything about that. Really? You gotta know I'm not trying to start a discussion about radio frequency. Just trying to wake every one up and demonstrate "shut down" language doesn't have to exist in a bill from Congress for any agency to go on the attack. Not trying to debate the merits of these other cases.

You guys are chasing the distractions and losing sight of the ferocity that is about to ensure. Are you really going to be blindsided by this? What will you do when they say finally, "ok here's the proof"? Then, where are we? Don't get boxed in.

BTW, that isn't me in that video. 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Amazing - worth noting that my drone (Mavic 3 Pro) has never connected to U.S. communications infrastructure and can only use public wifi frequencies to connect directly to my RC Pro controller. My controller can only communicate using wifi (it has no cellular data transceiver) to get an internet connection - again not U.S. Communications infrastructure since internet carrier communications networks are private companies (I used to work for one).
If you use a device that transmits a signal over radio at the frequencies used for Wi-Fi, then in the US, that device must be licensed by the FCC. It doesn't matter that access is being used to connect to the Internet or if it is just between local devices.

Also worth noting, the actual language of the proposed bills add the DJI to the "Covered List". The FCC does not allow companies on the covered list to get being approved. That means no new DJI device would be approved to use the Wi- (or any radio) frequencies.

If you use a device that transmits a signal over radio at the frequencies used for Wi-Fi, then in the US, that device must be licensed by the FCC. It doesn't matter that access is being used to connect to the Internet or if it is just between local devices.

Also worth noting, the actual language of the proposed bills add the DJI to the "Covered List". The FCC does not allow companies on the covered list to get being approved. That means no new DJI device would be approved to use the Wi- (or any radio) frequencies.
Correct - the FCC could easily not certify any new DJI drone transceivers. That doesn't do anything that would impact an existing device using the FCC Public frequency bands as we do with all existing DJI drones.

Amazing - worth noting that my drone (Mavic 3 Pro) has never connected to U.S. communications infrastructure and can only use public wifi frequencies to connect directly to my RC Pro controller. My controller can only communicate using wifi (it has no cellular data transceiver) to get an internet connection - again not U.S. Communications infrastructure since internet carrier communications networks are private companies (I used to work for one).
What this means is that people should stop whistling past the graveyard and take this Congressional ban seriously. Tester's bill would also buy off first responders by providing money to replace their DJI drones. No mention of you or me.

• Love
Reactions: mavic3usa
'That doesn't do anything that would impact an existing device using the FCC Public frequency bands as we do with all existing DJI drones.'

The devil is and will be in the details.

Reactions: mavic3usa
'The recent Senate vote to ban DJI in the NDAA bill may have come as a shock to some, but for those who have been paying attention, it was no surprise. Companies should have been prepared for this action years ago, given the growing concerns around data security and national security risks associated with DJI drones. At Sundance Media Group and our resale partner, The LiDAR Pros, we have been anticipating this event since 2017 and have taken proactive steps to ensure that we are prepared for any regulatory changes which may come our way.'

If passed as written, there is no question the Countering CCP Drones Act will have a significant impact on the US sUAS industry​

Regardless of where this piece of legislation lands, the issue will remain a thorny path for any municipal, county, state, or federal agency and those who provide contract services to these teams and depar. We will continue to provide training for DJI owners, and will continue to support the use of any UAS so long as UAS regulations don’t prohibit flight of these airframes. Private operators will likely not be affected, outside of future access issues to these aerial tools.

Passage of the final bill as currently written will undoubtedly impact not only DJI, but thousands of public safety agencies, AEC operations, inspection firms, and other commercial operators of UAS. Now that the House vote has passed, stay tuned for further updates on Senate reconciliation.

'That doesn't do anything that would impact an existing device using the FCC Public frequency bands as we do with all existing DJI drones.'

The devil is and will be in the details.

If there are additional details the devil is hiding in, please share them.

Confiscation orders and details will never be found in the bill's text or the final law. Such information would likely sink that bill or get it stripped. Congress will never get their hands dirty that way. Unfortunately this is the first brush with the law experienced by the drone community and it's likely going to be a bitter pill to swallow when we "find out" what's really in the law. Which is nothing that counts; that comes later. Bet me, if the law is passed, will result in thousands of question which means the law doesn't address what we need to know. Again, just like you won't find compensation details in the law, you won't find confiscation details either.

Here's what the confiscation details might look like should it ever happen one day: The government will download the FAA drone registration database and because they don't have adequate resources, they will enlist the aid of troopers, deputies, marshals, agents, and officers at the state, county, city, parish, borough, and local levels. Remember, we gave them this permission and power. Using the now-frozen registration list or closed registry, you will be contacted by the FAA by registered certified letter with your name next to the serial number of the drones that you own or responsible for. You have 60 days to show up at a law enforcement facility with those drones in your possession to turn them in or else have a certified bill of sale; they will have the list and at their discretion will determine whether to arrest you or not if you don't have enough of those drones to turn it. Failure to appear will result in a warrant for your arrest, again to be carried out by your local LEO.

That's what the registration database is ultimately designed for in times like these; registration = confiscation. The remainder of the unregistered <250g drones will have to be dealt with separately kinda like under 8oz of liquid on the airplane. We won't know...until we know. Look I get it; we all want to desperately know what all this means and we look to the text and put on our lawyer hats and try to predict the future based on the the legalese. Major fail. ;)

/s

Reactions: Divine_Madcat
Confiscation orders and details will never be found in the bill's text or the final law. Such information would likely sink that bill or get it stripped. Congress will never get their hands dirty that way. Unfortunately this is the first brush with the law experienced by the drone community and it's likely going to be a bitter pill to swallow when we "find out" what's really in the law.

Nonsense.

You can find out everything that's in a law after it has passed both House and Senate and sits waiting for the President to sign it.

Charging you with something that is not written in the legislation would be grounds for immediate dismissal, which a judge would grant, absent corruption.

Confiscation orders and details will never be found in the bill's text or the final law. Such information would likely sink that bill or get it stripped. Congress will never get their hands dirty that way. Unfortunately this is the first brush with the law experienced by the drone community and it's likely going to be a bitter pill to swallow when we "find out" what's really in the law. Which is nothing that counts; that comes later. Bet me, if the law is passed, will result in thousands of question which means the law doesn't address what we need to know. Again, just like you won't find compensation details in the law, you won't find confiscation details either.

Here's what the confiscation details might look like should it ever happen one day: The government will download the FAA drone registration database and because they don't have adequate resources, they will enlist the aid of troopers, deputies, marshals, agents, and officers at the state, county, city, parish, borough, and local levels. Remember, we gave them this permission and power. Using the now-frozen registration list or closed registry, you will be contacted by the FAA by registered certified letter with your name next to the serial number of the drones that you own or responsible for. You have 60 days to show up at a law enforcement facility with those drones in your possession to turn them in or else have a certified bill of sale; they will have the list and at their discretion will determine whether to arrest you or not if you don't have enough of those drones to turn it. Failure to appear will result in a warrant for your arrest, again to be carried out by your local LEO.

That's what the registration database is ultimately designed for in times like these; registration = confiscation. The remainder of the unregistered <250g drones will have to be dealt with separately kinda like under 8oz of liquid on the airplane. We won't know...until we know. Look I get it; we all want to desperately know what all this means and we look to the text and put on our lawyer hats and try to predict the future based on the the legalese. Major fail. ;)

/s
What color is the sky in your world?

Nonsense.

You can find out everything that's in a law after it has passed both House and Senate and sits waiting for the President to sign it.

Charging you with something that is not written in the legislation would be grounds for immediate dismissal, which a judge would grant, absent corruption.
For example, "agencies will be compensated" could be a sample statement. If you read that kind of language, it doesn't tell you much and there are many questions left that the law doesn't answer. For example, is there a deadline, how much will you receive, under what conditions, what is covered, who qualifies, etc. The law doesn't go into enough details to answer everything which is why we have agencies like the FAA, FCC to implement and why it also comes out worse before it's better.

Are you suggesting no one should have any questions after the President signs? No disrespect but that is so naive; I'm frustrated I feel like the community simply won't learn from others so we don't have to feel as much pain from this event. I feel like after the law is maybe passed, there will be a sigh of relief believing the worst has passed. If drones are going to be grounded, you will NOT find that written in the law. Congress and the President don't ground drones. You have to wait until after the law passes (sometimes years) to find out if you're going to get grounded.

Nonsense.

Congress mandates, FAA and FCC implement. Lots of the specifics are left to the agencies / regulators to decide. As we saw with Remote ID. Congress didn't get into the weeds about the specifics of Remote ID moduals, etc.

Last edited:

/s

Here's another imaginary horror story, with a wealth of dramatic details, describing how our drones are going to be confiscated while we remain clueless and sheep-like. And how that evil registration database is being used to control us.

Let's start a list of all the consumer electronics and other similar products that have been confiscated by the federal government.

Who's first? I've got nothing.

1. ______________________________

Reactions: Torque
describing how our drones are going to be confiscated while...
Here's what the confiscation details might look like should it ever happen one day:

/s
Let's start a list of all the consumer electronics and other similar products that have been confiscated by the federal government.
No, let's first start with a list of all consumer electronics which are registered in a government database. Confiscation is much less effective without registration.

Next, let's go to the list of all consumer electronics which are banned.

If that's not a recipe for confiscation (registered and banned), even Stevie Wonder can see that coming. ;)

Reactions: Divine_Madcat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inventoryahead0