DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Question About Customizing the Fn button on the Controller

Honk

Reactions
Hello Folks.

Is there a way to customize the Fn button on the standard Mini 2 controller to start the motors?

I ask because I want to be able to be standing up anywhere, without having to put the controller down, and hand launch the drone using the nudge.

So, while holding the controller in my left hand and the drone in my right hand, I want to be able to start the motors with the thumb of my left hand, preferably with the Fn button, then nudging the drone into take-off with my right hand.
Incidentally, I do have a hand landing technique I feel good about.

I read that the Fn button is customizable but I don't see "start motors" as an option to pick.

If it isn't possible, I'm interested in your ideas on how to hand launch while standing up, while holding the controller in one hand and the drone in the other, without putting the controller down..

Alright. Thats it. Thank you!

Reactions: John G.
Having the RC-N1 on a lanyard hanging from your neck does make it easier to manipulate both sticks to start the motors, then reposition the grip to be able to push up the left stick to take off.

Last edited:
I read that the Fn button is customizable but I don't see "start motors" as an option to pick
The motors on DJI drones can only be started/stopped with the sticks.

Reactions: SeaPig and Honk
Having the RC-N1 on a lanyard hanging from your neck does make it easier to manipulate both sticks to start the motors, then reposition the grip to be able to push up the left stick to take off.
For me a lanyard on my controllers is almost a requirement. I almost can't name a time when I didn't need both hands free at one time or another during setup or operation of my drones.

With the Mini 2 you don't need to program the Fn button to hand launch. IF YOU HAVE A LANYARD, what you do is hold the drone in one hand, pull both sticks down and in with your other hand to start the motors (as the controller hangs from your neck). Once the motors are started you just "toss" the Mini 2 up in the air and it will begin to hover. It's that simple and easy.

Once the motors are started you just "toss" the Mini 2 up in the air and it will begin to hover. It's that simple and easy.
I hand launch all the time and agree the lanyard makes it easier and have occasionally used the "Quick Launch" hand toss with my Mini 1. It senses the top of the toss and the motors spin up to hover and maintain it's altitude. Just make sure the motors have started their idling spin first...

I haven't tried it with my Mini 3 pro as I understand that the motors don't go from idle to hover spin with the change in altitude. Can anyone confirm that?

Reactions: Honk
Thanks very much for everyones' insight. A lanyard, so far, looks to be my solution. Now, I am going to start researching the best cost effective lanyard that has the least impact on wear and tear and functionality of the controller, and my neck. What do you folks recommend?

Again, thank you all, very much. This is by far the best forum out there. Alright. Very good. Here's wishing good stuff to youse.

For starting the motors, as @mobilehomer stated above, you can also use the onscreen app launch icon and slider instead.
I'm not sure that's what the OP is asking. He wants to start the motors and then manually ease (nudge) the drone up into the air. And that can only be done with the sticks.

But, yes, the OP could also use the auto takeoff feature. And it would be easier to use than you mentioned since there is no sliding involved (which could be tricky to do while holding the remote controller with one hand). The process involves tapping the take off button and then tapping and holding "Take off" in the center of the screen for a few seconds. You can see that in action here.

Reactions: SeaPig
I'm not sure that's what the OP is asking. He wants to start the motors and then manually ease (nudge) the drone up into the air. And that can only be done with the sticks.

But, yes, the OP could also use the auto takeoff feature. And it would be easier to use than you mentioned since there is no sliding involved (which could be tricky to do while holding the remote controller with one hand). The process involves tapping the take off button and then tapping and holding "Take off" in the center of the screen for a few seconds. You can see that in action here.
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't yet hand launched with the Fly app auto takeoff. My most recent hand launches are with the M2P and GO 4, where it still works as I described. It is awkward to slide while suspended on the lanyard. Glad they changed the slider to a "press and hold" in the Fly app.

Reactions: msinger
For me a lanyard on my controllers is almost a requirement. I almost can't name a time when I didn't need both hands free at one time or another during setup or operation of my drones.

With the Mini 2 you don't need to program the Fn button to hand launch. IF YOU HAVE A LANYARD, what you do is hold the drone in one hand, pull both sticks down and in with your other hand to start the motors (as the controller hangs from your neck). Once the motors are started you just "toss" the Mini 2 up in the air and it will begin to hover. It's that simple and easy.
This is the way.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Reactions: Honk and vindibona1
Now, I am going to start researching the best cost effective lanyard that has the least impact on wear and tear and functionality of the controller, and my neck. What do you folks recommend?

Here's what I did for a temporary solution.

Worked great.

Reactions: vindibona1
I like that. I tried a similar thing with a woman's hair band. I didn't care much for the elastic quality so found a cheap bracket that slides onto the controller body. I have a number of lanyard straps laying around and I'm sure that what I'm using didn't come with the bracket. With my Mavic 2, I have some camera wrist straps that I've attached to the swing-out handles on the controller. When I don't use the lanyard part they just dangle there and no problem stowing the controller with them on.

The one I'm posting below, with discount is only $10.50USD. The O ring or something similar will work, but I just don't want to be tugging on the part that holds the phone which has the antenna wires running through it.

1670206312361.png

I like that. I tried a similar thing with a woman's hair band. I didn't care much for the elastic quality so found a cheap bracket that slides onto the controller body. I have a number of lanyard straps laying around and I'm sure that what I'm using didn't come with the bracket. With my Mavic 2, I have some camera wrist straps that I've attached to the swing-out handles on the controller. When I don't use the lanyard part they just dangle there and no problem stowing the controller with them on.

The one I'm posting below, with discount is only $10.50USD. The O ring or something similar will work, but I just don't want to be tugging on the part that holds the phone which has the antenna wires running through it.

View attachment 157922
That's essentially what I use on my RC-N1 too. I did replace the strap with some plain black webbing I had of the right size though, as I didn't need to be advertising a business not related to me at all.
I saw some photos taken of me using it and the branding stood out strongly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000