DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Sad Goodbye from Me

Those of you that know me will be aware that I’ve been losing my eye sight. At only 46, it’s a crappy situation to be in. Unfortunately, I’ve now got to the point where I can no longer drive, and no longer fly a drone safely. So, I’m sadly selling my equipment and leaving the hobby. I’ve been struggling to read without aid now too, so I won’t be visiting the forum much and as I’m going to miss flying it will be painful to come here and read about you all having fun.

This forum has been a fantastic place, and is full of excellent people.I wish you all a right, happy and healthy future. Stay safe! :)

Shaun
Sorry to hear this.
Have you had your Vitamin D level checked?

So sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing we could say could measure up to that, it’s a mountain you will have to climb hopefully with the help of family and friends.
I have not yet heard back about my offer for referral to one of the world's finest eye hospitals, so I would imagine that he has already seen a good ophthalmologist and that the diagnosis is not reversible. The offer always remains open.

@Lastrexking ,hi my friend since you started this thread in July 2020 ,i hope you have been ok and your eyesight has not deteriorated very much since then take care in this time of covid ,and stay safe

Reactions: pelagic_one
This forum has been a fantastic place, and is full of excellent people.

My first encounter with you was back in 2017 over on the Spark Pilots site.

You have helped many pilots with your wisdom.

Thanks so much and take care Shaun. ☮️

I have not yet heard back about my offer for referral to one of the world's finest eye hospitals, so I would imagine that he has already seen a good ophthalmologist and that the diagnosis is not reversible. The offer always remains open.
Hi, thank for your offer. I wasn’t ignoring you, I haven’t been on the site since I wrote my original post. The Mavic Mini 2 release got my curious, so i thought I’d come and have a read.

I’m in the uk, so as kind as your offer is it isn’t practical. Also, there isn’t any treatment that will help (I have retinal artery occlusion). But, thank you for your kind thoughts.

@Lastrexking ,hi my friend since you started this thread in July 2020 ,i hope you have been ok and your eyesight has not deteriorated very much since then take care in this time of covid ,and stay safe
Hiya mate! Very nice to hear from you. I hope you’re keeping well and the new lockdown isn’t causing you too much stress? Congratulations on joining the staff team. I can’t think of anyone better suited for the role!

Wow - I haven’t logged in since I wrote my original post here. I’m overwhelmed by all of your very kind words.
It would take too long to thank you all individually, and I don’t think the mods would be happy about it ?
But rest assured your kindness is welcome and I’m grateful to all of you. Thank you.

Thankfully, my eyes haven’t gotten any worse. So, I’m still down to completely blind in one eye, and the other one is doing ok for now. I’ve actually gotten used to it now.

I have to admit, the Mini2 has caught my interest. I’m not sure if it’s practical, or if my wife feels like coming out with me to fly..... but, I really do miss flying drones.

Best wishes to you all. I hope you’re keeping safe and well in these trying times. ❤️

Hiya mate! Very nice to hear from you. I hope you’re keeping well and the new lockdown isn’t causing you too much stress? Congratulations on joining the staff team. I can’t think of anyone better suited for the role!
thanks for your kind words it means a lot my friend ,i am taking my A2 CofC on monday so i can take advantage of the new rules and new drones when they start to be produced ,i am ok thanks have been in total lockdown for the last two weeks in Wales ,but from Monday will be able to travel ,and wouldnt you believe it on the same day GPS jamming starts at Sennybridge SW ,so Monday the Ninth is going to have a lot of things happening i guess ,keep in touch and stay safe

thanks for your kind words it means a lot my friend ,i am taking my A2 CofC on monday so i can take advantage of the new rules and new drones when they start to be produced ,i am ok thanks have been in total lockdown for the last two weeks in Wales ,but from Monday will be able to travel ,and wouldnt you believe it on the same day GPS jamming starts at Sennybridge SW ,so Monday the Ninth is going to have a lot of things happening i guess ,keep in touch and stay safe

Good luck on Monday Dale!

Reactions: old man mavic
Those of you that know me will be aware that I’ve been losing my eye sight. At only 46, it’s a crappy situation to be in. Unfortunately, I’ve now got to the point where I can no longer drive, and no longer fly a drone safely. So, I’m sadly selling my equipment and leaving the hobby. I’ve been struggling to read without aid now too, so I won’t be visiting the forum much and as I’m going to miss flying it will be painful to come here and read about you all having fun.

This forum has been a fantastic place, and is full of excellent people.I wish you all a right, happy and healthy future. Stay safe! :)

Shaun
I'm new to the forum as a soon to be pilot. I'm sorry to hear of your situation, but I'm sure I'll be reading your advice and tips. As someone else has mentioned, don't give up hope. The power of positive thinking CANNOT be underestimated. Take care and good luck. Best wishes from the UK. And thank you.

I just wanted to update this post. When I originally wrote it I was really down. Having lost my vision in one eye, I’d given up on things instead of getting a grip and getting on with life. A few months down the line, and I feel a lot better about life, and picking up the things I love such as playing guitar and flying drones. So, I’ve bought myself a Mini2 and my wife is going to come flying with me. ?

I just wanted to update this post. When I originally wrote it I was really down. Having lost my vision in one eye, I’d given up on things instead of getting a grip and getting on with life. A few months down the line, and I feel a lot better about life, and picking up the things I love such as playing guitar and flying drones. So, I’ve bought myself a Mini2 and my wife is going to come flying with me. [emoji106]

That is seriously great news!!

Life can really throw some curve balls at us but those that can move through to better times truly have a rewarding and exciting life still to enjoy - just a little different.

I just wanted to update this post. When I originally wrote it I was really down. Having lost my vision in one eye, I’d given up on things instead of getting a grip and getting on with life. A few months down the line, and I feel a lot better about life, and picking up the things I love such as playing guitar and flying drones. So, I’ve bought myself a Mini2 and my wife is going to come flying with me. ?
Now see that’s all you had to post Instead of all we just went through ?
Now we got a member in the other thread wanting to know why DJI didn’t make it waterproof. Think I ought to introduce him to Coal .?

Now see that’s all you had to post Instead of all we just went through ?
Now we got a member in the other thread wanting to know why DJI didn’t make it waterproof. Think I ought to introduce him to Coal .?
Coal powered water proof drones? ?

@Lastrexking I’m just going to move this on down to OT and
it can just kinda slide on away so we can carry on with your next chapter .??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv