DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A safe way to catch your Mavic 2 with all sensors on and without descending.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
A 3-minute clip on a safe way to catch your Mavic 2 with all sensors on and without descending.

Jump to one minute 24 seconds to cut the babble.
I am planning to make another short clip on how some of the amazing sensors work on the Mavic 2. When I understand them more J
I find the science and technology underlying, this amazing drone, fascinating.
Just to share the passion.

Reactions: smacc
Your catching technique looks great. But, it was hard to hear your instructions after your said to "use your index finger" Would you please reply with written instructions.

Runs something like…

Point the aircraft to your left shoulder at shoulder height.
Put your index finger under the far-left corner of the aircraft, put your second and third finger to the middle left of the aircraft, put your little finger at the front, left, of the aircraft. Put your thumb under the right-hand side of the aircraft.
I didn’t say it but let the right-side corner of the bottom of the aircraft rest on the base of your thumb muscle.
Just practice with the motors off a little.
What I did not say was that you need to do what you feel comfortable with. If you feel uneasy about it, please don’t do it.
I always take off and land on the ground when I can. I live in one of the windiest cities in the world and it is often safer for me and the aircraft to take off and land in my hand.
I know its a long running debate but common sense and doing what feels right for you is a good guide. I have heard about many being injured, but I know of no one directly who has been hurt or seen it. I have had a few scratches here and there but a hundred times less than when I am doing a bit of gardening, and that is a rare event.
Hope it helps.

Forgot to mention the most important thing is to slide your finger underneath from the front not from below otherwise it will rise, so it's a gentle movement forward and up.

So just to clarify. Reach out with the aircraft pointing towards you not away from you?
Because the downward looking sensors are more to the rear of the craft so they never see your hand?

Guys do not hover that thing at eye level .All it would take is one issue and it's done .
I have always hand caught all mine and only land it if it's an emergency and do it another way
But I do keep it above my head and walk up to it and have it sideways and just grab it and shut down.
Each has what works for them and thats what you should do but don't have it at eye level .

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Yes you have to do what is comfortable but you also have to be safe.
Ergonomicly I think for me it's better to just put my hand out about shoulder height or nipple height. That way I'm not stretching up or out too far and I have total control over it I wear glasses sleeves and a hat. If you understand how you machine works and you work with it, it's very safe very easy.

So just to clarify. Reach out with the aircraft pointing towards you not away from you?
Because the downward looking sensors are more to the rear of the craft so they never see your hand?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan