DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

a safer way to catch your Mavic

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have been catching my Mavic Pro and Air like this for a while. Did a search for it and can not find this method online, I am sure its there but I cant see it. I think its the safest and with a little practice the best way to catch your Mavic.

Video taken with front camera on Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Rode smartLav+Mic.

Posted in wrong place earlier P4P, sorry.

Dunno, never fought me yet. As long as you don't make fast movements its fine.
Don't fight it and it wont fight you.

I have been catching my Mavic Pro and Air like this for a while. Did a search for it and can not find this method online, I am sure its there but I cant see it. I think its the safest and with a little practice the best way to catch your Mavic.

That Mavic Air is freaking noisy.

Reactions: Drgnfli
You will burn out your motors. It's not. Built for that. Notice how dji don't show that method in their startup videos...

I grabbed the drone and the motors started to accelerate. The sensor detected my hand. I know what you mean.

Reactions: Inspirephil
The FAA prohibits hand catching of drones. Just thought you might like to know that little rule.

The FAA prohibits hand catching of drones. Just thought you might like to know that little rule.
I didn't realize that and I find it odd. I know the FAA is supremely interested in public safety and wants to prevent a drone incident that might impact an airliner or innocent people on the ground, but I find it odd that they'd actually care much about a drone operator who gets lacerated catching his drone. Plus, if you are catching a drone, you are ceasing the mission so all public safety risk is gone. Lastly, since the FAA is not an insurance company, I really find it strange that they'd even care or try to dictate operational techniques like this.

Very interesting!

Thanks that’s a really helpful tip. I’ll use your method for my drone next time and see if I like it or not.

If you're saying it, you've probably seen it and it's true. But curious where it says this. Link?
While there is no law that states you aren't allowed to hand catch, you could be breaking the law if you're following a community-based organization that has a no hand catching rule (like the AMA).

I could not hear what you were saying during the last part, so i will ask anyway.

Did you turn obstacle avoidance off to do this. When I hand grab a landing of my Mavic Pro, the minute I grab it the motors surge and actually try and pull out of my hand. It startled me the first time and i let go but then realized what it was and as soon as I pulled down on sticks and held them it was okay.

I did not see the air try and thrust away. This is also an issue when trying to fly inside in ATTI mode, using tripod method. If you fly over a table or staircase railing the drone will lift unexpectedly and can crash into a ceiling or light fixture. Yes speaking from experience...DOH!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS