DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2 C of C in the UK

Thanks for this topic, I've just signed up to UAVHub for the A2 CofC course. So far I'm finding the online videos really well presented and I like the on demand delivery vs the previous PfCO courses which needed me to book several days away.

I sometimes fly a mavic pro in a field behind my house and will probably switch to a C0 type drone post 2023 but I figure it's worth having the A2 CofC for now for reassurance.

Thinking about using Pigs will fly too, seems pretty decent.

For those of you who have done the course, can you tell me the exact requirements for the self certified flying part?
Did you have any problems finding a legal (A3) area to fly in?

I haven't flown my Mavic for months due to the various lockdowns, but I plan to get out there as soon as our current one lifts. I'm wondering where to go though, since the A3 rules seem quite restrictive, particularly for me the take off/landing points. (I'd have used a deserted beach before the rule change)

Maybe I'm being over cautious, but any pointers appreciated.

I just completed with UAVHUB and highly recommend it. You have to follow the videos in order, which may frustrate some people, but I found it useful in forcing me to watch everything rather than skipping ahead.

The unlimited mock exam results was very, very useful too.

I just completed with UAVHUB and highly recommend it. You have to follow the videos in order, which may frustrate some people, but I found it useful in forcing me to watch everything rather than skipping ahead.

The unlimited mock exam results was very, very useful too.
Thanks, I'll take a look at UAVHUB too :)

Yes, it looks like the UAVHUB course is very well put together and I see the price is down or £99.
I think I scanned by it earlier last week, when it was £139, but being hard up (like most us these days! lol) I immediately went to those offering £99 ;)

I like the idea of all video and unlimited mock exams.
Thanks again for recommendation!

Reactions: danabnormal
Just finished the course by UAVHUB, had my self declaration passed
today so now booking my exam tomorrow. This course like mentioned
by others is very very well put together and a joy to do. Really enjoyed
it, and at £99 .....brilliant

To anyone thinking of doing their A2 C of C I’d just like to add my tuppence worth. I done my course with UAV HUB. At £99 I thought it was value for money and no I am not affiliated with them in any way.
The course is clear and concise and the fact you can go over each chapter as many times as you like if you need to I think was a great learning tool. As for the mock exam listen to what the instructor says and go over it again and again. I know it’s a pain having to pay to have a certificate to fly as we have been accustomed to flying but if that’s what it takes to be legal then so be it. As OMM said when the new certified drones come in and we are able to fly 30m from buildings etc, the £99 is money well spent in my eyes. The thought of only being able to fly in open countryside without my certificate made me paying for and completing the course a no brainer.

Just signed up to the A2 CoFc at UVA HUB and to make matters even better, they have a Saturday £5 off offer today!

Not quite all good news for me, I done my lower back in yesterday, it'll be a day or three, before I can sit through all those tutorial videos! lol

Seriously though, if any others have been mulling it over, get over there and claim the course for £94 :cool:
Have a great weekend all

EDIT: It's a 5% off not £5, so that'll be £94.05 for A2 CoFc, I think it's 5% off the GVC as well

Last edited:
Based on some recommendations here, I’ve just looked through the UAVHUB site and noticed it has some incorrect and misleading information with regards to the Mavic Mini. They say:

If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and then you will be able to fly close to uninvolved people as long as you don’t overfly them.”

This is wrong. As a legacy drone, MTOM doesn't apply to the Mini - it has a "weight at the point of take-off". So without anything extra attached, the Mini and Mini 2 (both legacy and weighing <250g) can not only already fly close to uninvolved people, they can legally fly over over them without the need for an A2 C of C. See CAP 722 Chapter 2 - Operational Guidance Operational Guidance, November 2020, Page 48:

2.2.1.4 Open category – interpretation of ‘Mass’/’Weight

Although the UAS Regulations make reference to ‘maximum take-off mass’ (MTOM) throughout, as defined in Article 2 of the UAS IR, this term creates some confusion when referring to ‘home built’ or other ‘legacy’ unmanned aircraft where an MTOM has not been defined by the manufacturer. The term ‘take-off mass’ is also used when referring to legacy aircraft, but only within one article (Article 22 – transitional arrangements) and the term is not specifically defined.

To clarify the situation the UK interprets these terms within the Open category only as follows:

• Unmanned aircraft marked with a Class marking (C0 to C4) – MTOM will continue to be used as defined

Unmanned aircraft without a Class marking – any reference to MTOM or ‘take-off mass’ should be taken to mean the weight of the unmanned aircraft at the point of take-off for that particular flight (which is referred to as the ‘flying weight’)

I'm surprised that a commercial organisation which teaches the regulations, amongst other things, has got this wrong. This could potentially make Mini owners pay for an A2 C of C unnecessarily.

Is there a way to take the tests for this without over-paying for someone to teach you.
There appears to be at A2 CofC - Drone Training Course - COPTRZ - you pay for the exam but the course looks to be free. I have no idea how good or bad the course is.

If they are saying that on their website, they'll need to fix it asap.
Out of curiosity, could you indicate where exactly on the website that quote is from?
I can't find it myself, the only thing I could find is correct.

Under "Which Drones need an A2 qualification"

Below is a copy and paste from their site.

If your drone weighs less than 250g (DJI Mavic Mini & the DJI Mini 2) then you don’t need to get your A2 C of C to fly in built-up areas. However - you do need to register as an Operator with the CAA and understand the CAA Drone Code.

I signed up with Coptrz after seen that the course was free and the exam was £49. Ive done all my training now and they are working through my flight logs and paperwork before going to the final exam.

Have to say I thought the training material was excellent, very detailed. Videos too and you can go over everything as many times as you like. Mock exam was very helpful too. All in all so far id say its a very good deal worth looking into if your planning A2 CofC.

If they are saying that on their website, they'll need to fix it asap.
Out of curiosity, could you indicate where exactly on the website that quote is from?
They seem to have had a major update to their site in the last few days. The statement about the Mini has now been corrected.

Reactions: Fluke22
there was some confusion about the MM back when the new rules were being implemented and this has been addressed now on the site ,it was to do with a provision that was part of the proposal process when the new rules were being discussed ,the A2 C of C allows me to fly my MPP in the A2 category with the benefit of less separation distances, for the next two years, by which time ,if i do get a new drone of a similar class with the C rating then i will have another three years of flying with my A2 C of C in place ,the MM and Mini2 are going to be able to be flown with very little restrictions for at least two years ,and at the moment beyond that ,but none of us know if the rules and regs, are going to stay the same for ever or whats around the corner

A quick question about the exam itself via Examity.

I don't normally use a webcam, so had to hunt out an ancient one in order to setup Zoom.
I'm hoping to do the exam this Thursday, by which point I'll have a modern webcam available and tested.

My question is, when the exam goes live, does Zoom start automatically within Examity? Or do I need to do anything manually beforehand?

it will al be explained on the day you will need to join the examiner ,who will then run through the procedure before the exam can take place, i used google Meet for my exam on my laptop as it has a built in camera and mike

Mine was a google docs with editing rights combined with screen sharing.

You don't need to use a dedicated webcam anymore, download the app
IRIUM WEBCAM onto your mobile phone and it turns your phone into a
webcam. You can also request that UAVHUB take your examination instead
of EXAMITY it's much easier and much more relaxed, just ask and they'll
sort out a time and book you in. If there's a technical problem when EXAMITY
log on for the exam and it makes you late, they will cancel and charge you
£30 for a re sit, UAVHUB will help resolve the problem and carry on, much
easier.

You don't need to use a dedicated webcam anymore, download the app
IRIUM WEBCAM onto your mobile phone and it turns your phone into a
webcam. You can also request that UAVHUB take your examination instead
of EXAMITY it's much easier and much more relaxed, just ask and they'll
sort out a time and book you in. If there's a technical problem when EXAMITY
log on for the exam and it makes you late, they will cancel and charge you
£30 for a re sit, UAVHUB will help resolve the problem and carry on, much
easier.
Yes..it's technical issues that concern me about the Examity.
Thanks for the tip and the camera app one too ?

Cheers OMM and Cymru

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa