DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2 CofC and 2 Pro vs Mini 2 New Rules

i sent them an e mail about the 120m thats mentioned
have not had a reply yet ,but after some thought i remember something about the C 0 rating for very small drones that cannot fly further than 120m from the pilot ,but i dont know whether this category includes the MM, i thought that was in the C1 category

Sorry - just realised I posted on the wrong thread.
But I've had a reply from Tim at UAV Hub:
"The 120m distance is from CAP 1789 under C0 aircraft, whilst this specifically talks about C0 aircraft we imagine it will apply to all sub 250g aircraft. "

The relevant section:
Class C0 - (can be flown in all subcategories) Very small unmanned aircraft, including toys, that:
▪ are less than 250g maximum take-off mass
▪ have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)
▪ are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) from the controlling device

Since the DJI Mini is not technically C0 but rather a legacy class I'm not sure that's correct. You would think there would be clear reference to a max distance in the other sections of the regulations.

Seems as though the DJI mini 2 might be perfectly timed as a legacy drone whereas future C0 drones will have to be more limited.

Tim also makes the point that all the regs are clear on unaided VLOS being required - and it's certainly arguable that a drone the size of the mini isn't clearly visible beyond a few 100m (though 120 seems short).

Apparently the more recent regs seem to have changed it to height anyway,
See: Regs changes in the UK - Nov update

Reactions: scro
Tim also makes the point that all the regs are clear on unaided VLOS being required - and it's certainly arguable that a drone the size of the mini isn't clearly visible beyond a few 100m (though 120 seems short).

See: Regs changes in the UK - Nov update
Tried the Mini 2 for the first time outside today, just as a trial I took it out to 210m, I was still able to see it and more importantly reacquire it after looking away and that wasn't in the best light either.
So 120m must be an arbitrary number. Lets hope it doesn't make it into the regs.

Remember the intent of VLOS is not to be able to see the object, its to be able to see and judge in 3D any hazards in a 360 degree arc around it so depth perception and so on.

Reactions: old man mavic
The switch on the side of the controller enables tripod mode, I think you may also need intelligent flight mode enabled in Go 4 but since I have this enabled anyway that is academic. At least this is the case on the 2 Pro, which as you rightly say easily meets the requirements of low speed mode, particularly with its plethora of obstacle sensors.
Unfortunately none of the current drones on the market meet the new CE requirements including introducing this low speed mode, although some do indeed have a tripod mode but not the same thing. If they were to retrospectively "CE" approve their existing drones and say reprogrammed the sport mode button to be a slow speed mode that might be one way to achieve this particular flight mode with software/firmware updates to go with that, at least one thought of how it might be possible to work. Of course this is an opportunity for them to sell more kit... so they may not be so keen for consumer drones, for their enterprise line maybe... we will have to just wait and see. There was a recent DJI blog on this here https://enterprise-insights.dji.com/blog/decoding-the-new-eu-drone-regulations

Unfortunately none of the current drones on the market meet the new CE requirements including introducing this low speed mode, although some do indeed have a tripod mode but not the same thing. If they were to retrospectively "CE" approve their existing drones and say reprogrammed the sport mode button to be a slow speed mode that might be one way to achieve this particular flight mode with software/firmware updates to go with that, at least one thought of how it might be possible to work. Of course this is an opportunity for them to sell more kit... so they may not be so keen for consumer drones, for their enterprise line maybe... we will have to just wait and see. There was a recent DJI blog on this here https://enterprise-insights.dji.com/blog/decoding-the-new-eu-drone-regulations
Unfortunately when it comes to CE Approvals you cannot retrospectively approve an existing product, it would have to go through a new/ part approval, name change, ID, markings etc. I’m sure it’s not a big deal to DJI to do this and not an expensive exercise (in the scheme of things), I suspect it’s something DJI has up its sleeve for the Mini 3.

Doesn't make much sense for DJI to certify old drones when they can release a new one and sell you that instead....

Reactions: old man mavic
Isn’t the mini or mini2 classified as not a toy though due to its HD Camera thus basically being in the same category as our MA2’s etc? The sub 250 g limit means nothing where it’s concerned ... if I am wrong then put me right ?

Isn’t the mini or mini2 classified as not a toy though due to its HD Camera thus basically being in the same category as our MA2’s etc? The sub 250 g limit means nothing where it’s concerned ... if I am wrong then put me right ?
Mini 1 / 2 is going to be great for the UK come the end of the year, although I’m not sure how this sits regards the drone code or if it will be updated shortly to reflect the new categories
1606641422282.png

This is a key question I still haven't seen a clear statement on:
our understanding is the mini/2 will soon be able to fly in places currently not allowed by the Drone Code.
However there's no sign of the Drone Code being changed.

So if on Jan 1st the drone code hasn't been changed what's the position?

Is the drone code just a guide and we're fine to follow the new rules flying in built-up-areas?

Or are we duty bound to follow the drone code (as we're so often told to do) so we need to wait until it's (hopefully) updated?

Reactions: TDZHDTV

CAP 722 is the primary guidance document for the operation of unmanned aircraft systems within the UK. It is intended to assist those who are involved in all aspects of the development and operation of UAS. This edition has been re structured and its content reflects the requirements of the UAS regulations that are applicable from 31 December 2020.

So the drone code per se has no legal force?

It's going to cause no end of trouble on Jan 1st if all these sites aren't updated.
I don't fancy arguing my flight is legal if the CAA "where you can fly" website says otherwise.

We can only hope they have their shiny new website ready to go - but really they should be educating people about the new rules already.

Absolutely agree with you ..... we just hope its up and running 00:01 hrs on the 1st jan ........ whats the bet it won't though .
I would like to be proved wrong though ?

the drone code is basically a condensed form of CAP 722 and is intended to advise a drone flyer of the rules they need, with regards to airspace and safe operation

Reactions: Drumsagard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54