DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Abandoned NYC - Roosevelt Island Renwick Smallpox Hospital

cheezstake

Reactions
short flight from early in the covid lock-down, so no one was around this portion of the island, which was awesome. I had a hard time flying this spot, lots of transmission cutouts and freezing, even though i was very close distance wise from my launching point.

short flight from early in the covid lock-down, so no one was around this portion of the island, which was awesome. I had a hard time flying this spot, lots of transmission cutouts and freezing, even though i was very close distance wise from my launching point.

Nice video!

Beautifully shot and the perfect music , well done.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Well done illustration of a past effort at population safety.
Well flown!
Did you need any special permits, etc?

Outstanding video! Awesome photography and also what a great subject. I really enjoyed this creepy hospital! Well done.

Well done illustration of a past effort at population safety.
Well flown!
Did you need any special permits, etc?
According to the B4UFlY app, Roosevelt Island is clear airspace for drones.
Screenshot_20201018-225601_B4UFLY.jpg

Very nice. Well done. That's the building that Michael J. Fox plans to buy and turn into a luxury hotel in the 1993 movie For Love or Money. I love how the whole island looks like a park, except right by the bridge where there are business towers. Gotta love NYC!

View attachment 115332

Roosevelt Island is in the East River Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA), with loads of helicopter and seaplane traffic. There are a number of rules required to fly there, including self announcing on a CTAF radio frequency, carrying a copy of the local sectional map, etc. Unlikely drones are legally allowed to fly there without special permission.

View attachment 115332
Actually, regardless of what B4UFLY might say, New York City, being New York City, has it's own rules about drones. They (drones) are prohibited everywhere within the city with the exception of five small parks, none of which are in Manhattan. They are as restricted as possible. They, NYC, even go so far as to advertise that if you see a drone flying, you should call the police, immediately. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy your video. It was very fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard