DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Above the ocean is better then commuting beneath it.

You young guys are lucky,
You do not have your age posted, and I'm not sure where the reference, "you young guys" came from… You wrote that you are a submariner, so from that reference, I imagine you served on the Turtle in your early years and later on the Hunley… L :D L . . .

I served for over 30-years in the Air Force, and retired during the last century. I never met General Chuck Yeager, but I did know Admiral Stansfield Turner and served under him when he was the Supreme Allied Commander NATO Southern Europe when I was assigned there…

And he liked to say, "How do you know, I don't know…" My response was, "Well sir, that's why I'm here…"

Once during a briefing, an Army Colonel explained that some program or project was "Uniquely unique…" The Admiral asked him if he knew the definition of "unique" and the Colonel said that his project was so different from anything that came before, he could only describe it that way… I think I heard the Admiral mutter, "Hudson High…" and he tapped his ring on the table… He graduated from the Naval Academy. (and all academy grads, no matter which academy, were ring tappers…)

For the uninformed, the various military academies have various derogatory nicknames used by the other services, Hudson High being West Point, Canoe U being Annapolis, the Air Force Academy being the Zoo, and the Coast Guard Academy being Coasters…

Reactions: RodPad and wjkrysak
You do not have your age posted, and I'm not sure where the reference, "you young guys" came from… You wrote that you are a submariner, so from that reference, I imagine you served on the Turtle in your early years and later on the Hunley… L :D L . . .

I served for over 30-years in the Air Force, and retired during the last century. I never met General Chuck Yeager, but I did know Admiral Stansfield Turner and served under him when he was the Supreme Allied Commander NATO Southern Europe when I was assigned there…

And he liked to say, "How do you know, I don't know…" My response was, "Well sir, that's why I'm here…"

Once during a briefing, an Army Colonel explained that some program or project was "Uniquely unique…" The Admiral asked him if he knew the definition of "unique" and the Colonel said that his project was so different from anything that came before, he could only describe it that way… I think I heard the Admiral mutter, "Hudson High…" and he tapped his ring on the table… He graduated from the Naval Academy. (and all academy grads, no matter which academy, were ring tappers…)

For the uninformed, the various military academies have various derogatory nicknames used by the other services, Hudson High being West Point, Canoe U being Annapolis, the Air Force Academy being the Zoo, and the Coast Guard Academy being Coasters

Reactions: LoudThunder
Greetings ... I am 73 en-route to a higher number (I hope) and certainly try to look forward to good things in life, I am thinking we all do. Now about the Turtle and Hunley, you are not far off as I sat in a mock-up of the Turtle and yes there is such a thing as claustrophobia even in my former job. As far as Hunley, my last patrol we were attached to the squadron out of Holy Loch Scotland before they were closed, the Hunley (AS-31) was our support tender. As far as the original Hunley I hope if anyone reading this who is in the Charleston SC area might stop at the museum where the original is, quite impressive.

Anyway, on to drones and forgive me if I seem to be wandering about with lack of information, I am still learning the site and need to update some personal specifics. On the age thing about those who are younger, please take advantage of your years, I wish I could flip my numbers in my age and subtract 10 which would make me 27 again, I remember someone telling me one day you will be able to hang your TV on the wall to which I laughed. Live and learn! :)

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

So late to check in and say hello but anyone who is retired knows that you have more things to do then when working full time with the difference being there is more that you wish to do on your own terms. Having had more than one retirement, one from the US Navy Nuclear Missile Submarine Service and the other from civilian life as a technician and finally as a photographer.

So why drones? Well I love photography and aviation although I don't care for heights. Airplanes are fine both riding in and piloting them but standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon with tripod, camera and gusty winds can be challenging. Of course you cannot fly drones over such places but using a drone can be rewarding in places you can fly.

Anyway, glad to be here with the rest of the members to share and learn from the different experiences.
You mentioned how us drone pilots can't fly over the grand canyon. That rule/law bewilders me. Helicopters I understand. They produce intense winds and sound vibrations that can easily disturb wildlife and even damage the terrain. But small to medium sized Drones? I can't fathom the harm it could cause to such a massive expanse of land. And, I really doubt an occasional drone intrusion is going to significantly cause some detrimental harm to the wildlife population.

So late to check in and say hello but anyone who is retired knows that you have more things to do then when working full time with the difference being there is more that you wish to do on your own terms. Having had more than one retirement, one from the US Navy Nuclear Missile Submarine Service and the other from civilian life as a technician and finally as a photographer.

So why drones? Well I love photography and aviation although I don't care for heights. Airplanes are fine both riding in and piloting them but standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon with tripod, camera and gusty winds can be challenging. Of course you cannot fly drones over such places but using a drone can be rewarding in places you can fly.

Anyway, glad to be here with the rest of the members to share and learn from the different experiences.
Welcome to the forum from the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Happy and safe flying!

You mentioned how us drone pilots can't fly over the grand canyon. That rule/law bewilders me. Helicopters I understand. They produce intense winds and sound vibrations that can easily disturb wildlife and even damage the terrain. But small to medium sized Drones? I can't fathom the harm it could cause to such a massive expanse of land. And, I really doubt an occasional drone intrusion is going to significantly cause some detrimental harm to the wildlife population.
It really isn’t that difficult to comprehend why, if you just do some basic math and critical thinking. The National Parks are some of the most visited and beautiful places in the states. The Grand Canyon alone sees 5,000,000 visitors annually. 14,000 daily average. And everyone wants a post card worthy photograph of their own.

In The US I believe it’s estimated that 8% of the population own a drone. So if you use that number for the potential of drones that could be brought in on any given day that would be 1000 drones possible a day.

So what you are saying might be an “occasional “ drone intrusion could become a swarm on any given day even if the actual percentage of visitors bringing a drone were halved. And that’s just one park.

Imagine if they said, sure, bring your drone, how many would come.

That’s why.

Last edited:
Reactions: wjkrysak and RodPad
It really isn’t that difficult to comprehend why, if you just do some basic math and critical thinking. The National Parks are some of the most visited and beautiful places in the states. The Grand Canyon alone sees 5,000,000 visitors annually. 14,000 daily average. And everyone wants a post card worthy photograph of their own.

In The US I believe it’s estimated that 8% of the population own a drone. So if you use that number for the potential of drones that could be brought in on any given day that would be 1000 drones possible a day.

So what you are saying might be an “occasional “ drone intrusion could become a swarm on any given day even if the actual percentage of visitors bringing a drone were halved. And that’s just one park.

Imagine if they said, sure, bring your drone, how many would come.

That’s why.
Besides birds nesting, how else do you think drones will disrupt such a large land mass and it's wildlife given the number of drones you believe would be flying? Remember drones can only fly for about 25-35 minutes. If someone visits, they may only fly 2 or 3 times, i would guess.

Here is the why you can't fly according to the national parks servicee. "The drone ban at the Grand Canyon was put in place because drones can disturb wildlife and people. The National Park Service is worried that the visual distraction and the drone’s noise would negatively affect people visiting the parks."

I just don't believe a significant negative effect would occur. The area is too large to be affected, or be negatively impacted by small to medium drone flights. That's just my opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just saying what I feel. - I think the decision lacks logic, because it's a political decision.

I just don't see the logic. I would understand if drones were bigger and used gasoline motors, but they are a form of clean energy. Regarding people? The parks service thinks it will affect people to the point they may lose revenue?. I doubt it. Lastly, the wildlife is so diverse and populated, I doubt drones could affect it.

I don’t think you’re trying to start an argument and I get what your saying. But I think it’s the larger likely hood of not just one flight, but of multiple flights at any given time. It’s the volume of visitors to the N.P.s and then the potential volume of drones that would be able to be flown at any time.

And yes, many of the parks are vast, but the average visitor generally views the parks from the same locations that the majority of all visitors do. So imagine standing at Hopi or Mather point watching a sunrise with any number of other early rising visitors and suddenly you here a drone start up, take off and cross right into your view, then another, then another and so on.

And why add any stress to wildlife when it isn’t necessary. Creatures like California condors that are struggling to survive as it is. One of the most amazing creatures to see fly, then suddenly a drone appears and off they go to get away. And you know as well as I do, that there are those drone flyers out there that would give chase just to get a video. Not trying to be malicious, but just not thinking.

I love flying as much as anyone else, but I certainly don’t disagree with keeping some places off limits. Not to mention the fact that there are still opportunities to fly outside of park boundaries that will still give stunning views without having to be on park properties. If one is willing to put in some effort on foot there are loads of other places nearby to fly. Just because there is a map and a boundary line doesn’t mean the beauty is only contained within.

But as the rule is what it is right now, I suppose it’s a moot point anyway.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne