DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accuracy of RTH…shoreline example…

If we're speaking of the Mini 2, it does not have precision landing, but it does look for suitable landing area. When wet, it will not land on my deck. Otherwise it lands there without issue.
I had just planned on taking control when it got close, both for practice and to land on the pad… from all the videos it seems like it’s always a few feet off… but the 2s is off that much too from what I’ve seen

I had just planned on taking control when it got close, both for practice and to land on the pad… from all the videos it seems like it’s always a few feet off… but the 2s is off that much too from what I’ve seen
If it's off, precision landing isn't acting.
Gps will only get you +/- 10 feet accuracy.

As has been said, the Mini and the Mini2 do not have "precision landing". They will Return To Home to the GPS position which is generally within several feet and descend and attempt to land. One of the bottom sensors tells it how close to ground or object it is and the other sensor checks out the contrast below. If low in contrast like snow, water or a solid colour like , it will stop the landing, not search for another spot.

Reactions: Skwirl and Artemis
The search function works well on this forum, a big thanks to all.
I took my mini2 out for a couple flights today, thought a few pics of our first snowfall would be nice.
I used the rth button for the first time today. When I heard it overhead, I thought good all is going well. As it came down i heard it more from 1 ear than the other. Which was the wrong side, lol. I hit the cancel button, and located my mini2.
It stopped about 20 ft in the air over some weeds that would have not been good for the props. I proceeded to land with manual control like i usually do. The rth was about 12 ft off.
So thats how i ended up here reading this thread. Great info and spot on, and now Im aware of how the mini2 rth works.
Or, the limits of it would be a better description.
Heres a pic of the difference, green circle is take off, red circle is where rth would have brought it down.
DJI_0020.JPG

It stopped about 20 ft in the air over some weeds that would have
Behaviour such as this is why, early in the flight, I do a test RTH, from maybe 100 to 200 ft out.
Others may say this is unnecessary but I am content to do it, better sure then sorry in my book.
Prior to adopting this behaviour I had a Mavic 2 RTH to maybe 20 ft away from the take off point and the drone was over the top of a fir tree, at no time in the flight was the drone over that tree UNTIL it RTH'ed to there.
If the returned to point is not to my satisfaction I bring the drone overhead and reset the home point to the drone's location. However, if I do RTH I do not normally let the drone land automatically.
That said it is an idea to keep an eye on the drone especially when landing.

After take off I test it and reset it if I am unhappy, the reset is 'needed' only occasionally but when it is 'needed' I would probably be unhappy with outcome of an automated not reset landing. Testing it 'wastes' minimal battery so I see no disadvantage to testing.
As to whether or not it improves the accuracy I can not say but I am satisfied with the results of the procedure.
A test might have shown you that you had a problem.

Reactions: Skwirl
Where I live, it is heavily treed. When I fly, I must navigate through the ones that are small and the ones that are high (as in 100 foot fir trees!) so I never use RTH. Besides, it's fun practicing different ways to get my bird down. What I do tend to use a lot is the map in the corner of the screen to navigate back to where I am.

Good morning to all-
When I fly my Mini 2- regardless of distance I choose to fly- I often use return to home to get the bird back within hearing distance. Then I manually bring the drone down to visual distance and then I land it myself. I don't regard RTH as a landing system but rather as a "proximity" system.
I find the DJI RTH system quite adequate and superior to other companies' RTH systems. And since I often fly near or over water, I would be foolish to trust the RTH system to land the drone safely.
The more I learn about the Mini 2, the better I like this drone.

good day to all- Ed

Reactions: Artemis
If you want to resume control, you should cancel RTH.
Leaving it active and trying to wrestle against it while it tries to do what it wants to do, can often end badly.
Further question on this. If, after cancelling RTH, you use Auto Land, does it still fight your manual navigation? Thanks.

Further question on this. If, after cancelling RTH, you use Auto Land, does it still fight your manual navigation? Thanks.
It shouldn't ... in RTH there is programming to bring the drone to a specific location and it will keep trying to get there.
In autoland, the programming is just to descend towards whatever is below the drone.

Reactions: ArnieZiffel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fe98237gfyds