DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Acronyms for Mavic 3, Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro

Skywatcher2001

Reactions
So I’ve been reading several threads comparing the Mini 3 and the Mavic 3 in regards to photo quality.

Can we make a ‘global’ consensus on the acronyms we will use for the Mavic 3, the Mini 3 and the Mini 3 Pro?

I have read (and seen) M3 referring to all 3 birds. This gets convoluted and confusing.

It just helps the reader if we’re clear about what bird we are talking about . . .

Keep ‘em flying pilots 🫡‼️

It'll probably be impossible to get everyone on board. Here are my thoughts though...

I have read (and seen) M3 referring to all 3 birds
M3 should probably only be used for the Mavic 3.

Is DJI going to release a Mini 3? They've only announced the Mini 3 Pro so far. Either way, I'm not sure there are well known acronyms for the Mavic Mini series. "Mini" and "Mini 2" are pretty widely used. So, I would expect "Mini 3" to be used for the current mini model.

Not to mention that on the Video Forum Posts its just labeled as 3

2022-05-18_02h48_00.png

Hoping that gets changed as it confusing also.
This is what got me saying the M3 for the Mavic 3 .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I think the M3P is way overpriced for the features you get, especially in comparison to the Air 2S.
I think the M3P is a great improvement over the previous model and is well worth the price, especially if you get the RC.

Can you tell which drone applies to each statement?

Small letter "m" for the mini's.

Capitol letter "M" for the Mavics.

Use whatever letter / number after that.

I think the M3P is way overpriced
Certainly the lack of a Mavic 3 Pro lends itself the deciphering this ok, but I also have noticed M3 and looked for a forum section to try and confirm Mini 3 or Mavic 3.

———

Edit - didn’t realise it was actually a Mavic 3 Pro, thought just Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Cine.

Makes OMM suggestion below better.
Or, as there has always been an M1P and M2P in the Mavic series, M3P is ok the the Mavic, Mini3P for the mini, or simply m3 if it could be universally adapted.
———

I do like the idea from @MA2 317 using lower case for a muni, but yes it would be hard to get a protocol known by all members posting in general.

Last edited:
how about
Mavic 3
Mini 3 pro
there is no ambiguity with those definitions
as the minis no longer have the Mavic name in them

If you go by the names that DJI use, there is no Mavic 3 pro.
Just a Mavic 3 and a Mini 3 pro.

Dang that’s what I originally thought, but reading other posts they mentioned Mavic 3 Pro, so just had a quick search to double check.
Sure enough, many retailers are calling it the Mavic 3 Pro (incorrectly), but yeah just went to DJI directly and no Pro :)

Last edited:
We started off calling the original(s) the MM and MA2 in shorthand, as their given name included Mavic, but upon release of second generation naming structure no longer having Mavic it became Mini2 and Air2s so I'd say the most reasonable callsign would be Mini3, to include the P(ro) or not as you see fit. I dont think its THAT troublesome or time consuming to type in the extra 3 letters to complete the name Mini and I'd think the chances of offering a non pro Mini3 are pretty slim, maybe a S(pecial) E(dition) or F(an) E(dition) down the road like when they crossbread the MM and Mini2 for the Mini SE, but not a true Mini3 Non Pro version so people wanting to complain about you not using the P "for accuracy purposes" can have some cheese with their whine for all I care. The M2 Pro and Zoom, or Phantom 3Advanced, Phantom 3 4k and Phantom Profesional all really exist and there are differences between them so sometimes it is important to know whether you meant one or the other but to P or not to P because of a so far non-existent non Pro model would be childish in my humble opinion.

"MN" could work, but it would probably be a real struggle to get people to start using that since it's rarely (never?) used today.

Then, according to this nomenclature, the Mini would be MN, Mini 2 would be MN2???
With all due respect I profoundly disagree.
Yeah I was trying to stick to 3 characters (like airports) but it just won't work (with all the versions out now). You are probably right but it proves the point about the confusion (without spelling out the proper name of each bird) . . . that's probably the best way to identify them.

Reactions: Faster
So I’ve been reading several threads comparing the Mini 3 and the Mavic 3 in regards to photo quality.

Can we make a ‘global’ consensus on the acronyms we will use for the Mavic 3, the Mini 3 and the Mini 3 Pro?

I have read (and seen) M3 referring to all 3 birds. This gets convoluted and confusing.

It just helps the reader if we’re clear about what bird we are talking about . . .

Keep ‘em flying pilots 🫡‼️
We can’t even get people who own a Mavic 2 Pro to refer to it correctly, instead of calling it a Mavic Pro 2. Good luck with the “3”s.

• Haha

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoosiergsp