DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track through a woodlands

It did a great job. Obviously it’s not Skydio, but possibly 75% as capable. And that’s fantastic considering it’s just one of the drone’s overall functions. The Skydio is a purpose made dedicated tracking drone... Activetrack 3.0 is very usable for a multitude of tracking applications.

I like how it was willing to stay in front for quite a while before moving to the back.
Agree! I didn’t know it would do that. I didn’t event think at first it will track me from front rather than from the back. When I first did it few minutes before this video, I was amazed and impressed how it stayed in front and then moved away to get behind. It’s fantastic!!

Reactions: geneg
Activetrack 3.0 is very usable for a multitude of tracking applications.
I can’t say enough how impressed I was Air 2 doing this only with front rear and bottom sensors. However, I noticed that front and rear sensors sense obstacles in the conical terrain of each sensor. Therefore it has an idea of what’s above and in sides of the drone even without sensors.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
That really is very impressive given the number and position of the sensors. My Air 1 would have no chance of doing that. I would probably struggle a bit more in winter with no leaves on the trees perhaps. Impressive!

Reactions: mithatrone
This is shot from my new Mavic Air 2 and the full shoot is fully automatic and I am extremely impressed by what it did!!

Nice footage . .

Same question that has been asked before , where did you put the controller ?

Is someone else holding it or is it in you back pack ?

You're a VERY brave man. I am very impressed how that thing followed you through that maze of tree branches. Did you give it a set height to be at? Maybe tell us what you set things at prior to riding off. I am assuming it got itself stuck at that end point in the video and just stayed hovering there, because it was a tough looking situation to get itself out of.

I can’t say enough how impressed I was Air 2 doing this only with front rear and bottom sensors. However, I noticed that front and rear sensors sense obstacles in the conical terrain of each sensor. Therefore it has an idea of what’s above and in sides of the drone even without sensors.

Yes, the 3D Mapping works pretty well. For example, in some cases, it sees an object, and then goes below it, and then knows there is an object above even without a top sensors because of the map. Of course, we know it is not perfect!

where did you put the controller ?

Is someone else holding it or is it in you back pack ?

The controller was in my backpack with the sticks removed. I knew it was safe as I tried active track in an open area before with the controller in the backpack with the sticks removed.

Reactions: bp328i
You're a VERY brave man. I am very impressed how that thing followed you through that maze of tree branches. Did you give it a set height to be at? Maybe tell us what you set things at prior to riding off. I am assuming it got itself stuck at that end point in the video and just stayed hovering there, because it was a tough looking situation to get itself out of.

Settings, nothing special. Turned obstacle avoidance on and started active track. There is no special setting to set the height, just placed it where I placed it initially and through the woods, it found its way under and over branches with its intelligence!
Yes, it stayed hovering there when it was like "checkmate" situation and video recording was still running.

And....... I crashed it! :(:(??

Impressed! Sure you didn't swap the MA2 for Skydio without telling us? I've tested Active Track/MP2 and it would not do that without crashing. Active 3 looks like a real improvement. So it sounds like you did crash on more recent test? One thing I learned the hard way is that sensors don't see dead or leafless branches -beware.
Also, that was a very slow pace. MTB videos are about ACTION, so a real test needs to be done at SPEED. I wonder if even a Skydio would keep track through foliage that thick.
A friend recorded a spectacular Skydio test -at high speed. Trees were avoided & the unit always "found" the rider. Mostly open terrain, with occasional tree cover -which the Skydio circumvented. But he also crashed on a subsequent test.
Surprised that you packed up the controller. What if it was needed? I read about one pilot here with handlebar mount, but I wouldn't try that off road. I have a small canvas bag with long straps that COULD be secured against my chest, and POSSIBLY hold the controller in place. But it seems iffy to me, so I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping DJI will work to recapture that segment of the market & that we'll see the Mavic Tracker soon. Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna