DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Add property lines on aerial real estate shot?

tmgdrz

Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the drone photography space, and I'm wondering if any of you know how to add property lines into an aerial still shot of a property?

I can normally find any and everything on YouTube, but I'm having trouble with this one.

Would be a great addition to my real estate and photography businesses.

Thanks

You could mark the property corners with large orange cones or flags before you take the picture and then add the lines in by connecting the dots in your photo editing app of choice.

The app Snagit has photo markup capabilities for property outline. Preview on Mac has markup toolbar. Microsoft has Photo Marker.

Reactions: tmgdrz
Maybe you could grab Assessors level GIS mapping and combine them into your image or into Google earth with a KML file? The real problem is "Where to put them?".
Without having the property lines staked by a professional land surveyor and then marked with a large target, you won't know where to place the figure. How often will you show up and just find the corners and be able to mark them?
You certainly don't want to get close to surveying without a license now, do you?

Maybe you could grab Assessors level GIS mapping and combine them into your image or into Google earth with a KML file? The real problem is "Where to put them?".
Without having the property lines staked by a professional land surveyor and then marked with a large target, you won't know where to place the figure. How often will you show up and just find the corners and be able to mark them?
You certainly don't want to get close to surveying without a license now, do you?

Definitely not. From what I've seen from the big photography companies that offer this feature, they just state that property lines are approximate and not warranted. It's just for visual purposes when someone is scrolling through the MLS and you want to show a home is sitting on a large lot - especially a lot that's heavily wooded in the back. Plat maps and actual surveys will cover all of that.

You're right about copying the GIS map. I'm going to see if I can make that work and line them up as closely as possible.

What program do you use? This is super easy to do in Photoshop, you can even just grab a paint brush and trace the property line if you want. Most editing programs let you draw lines either by connecting 2 points or free-hand.

If you don't need a high-resolution version of the image, you can use something like FastStone Image Capture (v5.3 and older are free). Snag-It is another popular one that can easily do this, but you need to take a screen capture of it first. Fast Stone Image Viewer probably does it too but I have not tried.

My goodness!!! Surveyors spend years to get qualified and then get a licence to determine and guarantee property boundaries. It found be like you buying the equipment and taking an ultra sound and then giving a patient the result!
Of course there are many ways to sketch in a boundary but you its only approximate.

I buy and sell vacant land for fun and profit - mostly on my laptop so I depend heavily on software/saas tools to do vetting/inspection. I love Parlay 2.0 which is an overlay for Google Earth Pro... it does cost about $30 per month. But if you are in business it can be very helpful.

I have included a lot that I purchased that I used parlay (shows all property lines in blue) I had considered subdividing the parcel into 2 pieces... I used GE's drawing tool to add the redlines of what I thought I might do for the split... not sure you can use it or not since it is not "your" still shot...

parlay GE example drone.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the drone photography space, and I'm wondering if any of you know how to add property lines into an aerial still shot of a property?

I can normally find any and everything on YouTube, but I'm having trouble with this one.

Would be a great addition to my real estate and photography businesses.

Thanks
Having been a land surveyor and studied boundary law in college, and knowing how sticky and nasty boundary issues can be, I have zero interest in inferring where the property lines might be, even with a disclaimer. To do it with any level of accuracy would require locating the controlling corners, which more often than not may have some missing. If the realtor wants them, they can go out on a limb and risk litigation, but I’ll pass.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31