DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adventures in Droning - My first two flights

mtp1032

Reactions
My first flight was notable in that the drone was attacked by a falcon (prairie falcon to be specific). It didn't hit the drone because I was only 30 ft AGL and I practically autorotated to get it down but not before s/he made three passes at it. It was about a 20 minute flight altogether when the falcon attacked.

My second flight, just today, was even more adventurous. I've been having trouble with my camera focus (pilot error, not mechanical) and, with the help of fellow droners in this forum, got it figured out. So, off I went again to see if my focus worked (it did). Took off from the same place as my first flight - my backyard overlooking a golf course surrounded by scrub willows, unused telephone poles, and swarming with Richardson's ground squirrels. I'm talkin' raptor central.

Anyway, got her up to about 100 feet when about 1 minute into the flight pretty much every Red-Tailed hawk in Missoula converged on my little bird. Again, the rapid descent, but this time 4 red-tails came after it and one landed right next to it, clearly puzzled as to what this buzzing bird might taste like. Fortunately, I think that up close the Mavic intimidated the hawk with its buzzing.

I didn't dare fly the drone back to me (it was only about 30 yards away but the 4 hawks circled above the drone for 20 minutes) so I walked out and picked it up. Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated, but all-in-all I'm pretty stoked about the drone and the hawks, truth be told. However, even tho' it makes for a good story, tomorrow, I'm going to a city park.

Good times!

my understanding is when you are attacked, CLIMB. you can out climb those birds easier then they can and it will confuse them.

Reactions: Akoztha
My first flight was notable in that the drone was attacked by a falcon (prairie falcon to be specific). It didn't hit the drone because I was only 30 ft AGL and I practically autorotated to get it down but not before s/he made three passes at it. It was about a 20 minute flight altogether when the falcon attacked.

My second flight, just today, was even more adventurous. I've been having trouble with my camera focus (pilot error, not mechanical) and, with the help of fellow droners in this forum, got it figured out. So, off I went again to see if my focus worked (it did). Took off from the same place as my first flight - my backyard overlooking a golf course surrounded by scrub willows, unused telephone poles, and swarming with Richardson's ground squirrels. I'm talkin' raptor central.

Anyway, got her up to about 100 feet when about 1 minute into the flight pretty much every Red-Tailed hawk in Missoula converged on my little bird. Again, the rapid descent, but this time 4 red-tails came after it and one landed right next to it, clearly puzzled as to what this buzzing bird might taste like. Fortunately, I think that up close the Mavic intimidated the hawk with its buzzing.

I didn't dare fly the drone back to me (it was only about 30 yards away but the 4 hawks circled above the drone for 20 minutes) so I walked out and picked it up. Yeah, I'm a bit frustrated, but all-in-all I'm pretty stoked about the drone and the hawks, truth be told. However, even tho' it makes for a good story, tomorrow, I'm going to a city park.

Good times!

I don't know how many birds you have around your house but I'd consider flying somewhere else.

You might consider a non-bird colored skin for your Mavic.

I agree with Mossiback. Hawks and other predators often dive bomb on smaller birds that are brown or grey (think doves, songbirds, and pigeons). Though the MP doesn't look like one of them, it's about the same size. You could try putting some bring colored tape on the battery or fuselage. In this area, farmers also use mylar strips that flutter to scar birds away. While it wouldn't be advisable to have long mylar ribbons hanging off your MP, maybe a couple of strips a couple inches long (Short enough to not interfere with the props or the sensors)might help. The other thing that crosses my mind is that it's getting into breeding and nesting season. Are you sure you weren't near a nest, and the bird's behavior wasn't protective rather than a hunting behavior? The reason I say this is because raptors as a rule have excellent eyesight. They'd be very clear on the idea that your MP isn't a bird. Maybe they DO consider it a threat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147