DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice from UK based Mavic Flyers...

Palta

Reactions
Hi all,

New to the Mavic space having purchased my Pro 2 a couple of weeks ago. Having had a very aggressive experience late this afternoon I just wondered how do people in the UK actually use this thing?

It was a beautiful late afternoon where I live (SE England), so I thought I'd quickly head out and get some captures of the sunset and a few Hyperlapses. I drove to rural area a few clicks from my house and after wondering down a footpath for a bit, quickly launched to capture the last half hour of sunlight fading.

After about 10 minutes - whilst the Mavic was capturing the images - I got super aggressively approached by Mr and Mrs NIMBY Boomer who very quickly started informing me of the law as they saw it. I said I was just photographing the sunset, the drone was at 230' altitude,well within line of sight and slowly moving to get a 20 second time lapse image.

They informed me that apparently ALL the land in the area was their's (no doubt inherited) and that I was breaking the law. I said I was sorry and that I was not within 1000' of either a building or people...they said they didn't care it was their land. The husband then went off on one about whether I would like it if they were taking photos in my house - all a bit surreal as I stood in the middle of a field surrounded by extensive woodland - again I just kept repeating I meant no offence and was simply photographing the beautiful sunset in the region. When I asked about being on a public footpath I was curtly told I was permitted on THEIR land on a public footpath by their good will.

I asked what if I walked backup 800m to the road (small almost disused country lane) and launched from my car, but again was told absolutely no flight over THEIR land was permitted.

So my question is, with every bit of this tiny island belonging to somebody, how on earth can I use this wonderful device in the UK - if this is the response I am to expect?

Cheers,

I am sorry to hear of your experience but as you will discover they have no right of ownership of the air over their property provided you are not spoiling their enjoyment of it (how would airlines operate!). Sounds like you did everything right - you were courteous and operated within the Drone code. In my experience you won’t win the argument so, as you rightly did, move on.
I have been asked to stop flying from a certain point on a path many a time. I simply move along and fly it anyway :) good luck

Reactions: Cymruflyer
This is one of the hazards of drone flying. There is something about drones that elicits a visceral response from some folks.

You can’t negotiate with crazy.

I think you handled it the best you could.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Firstly a warm welcome to the Mavic community particularly to a fellow Brit.

I've been flying regularly since the first Mavic came out and in that time I've only had one person harass me for flying the drone, like you I was flying entirely legally and the person complaining was being entirely unreasonable. Even though it's just one occurrence it makes me really paranoid about anyone I see and worry they're going to come to me to complain but in most cases they either ignore the drone or they're interested in it and want to know more.

There's clearly nothing more you can can do as you were flying legally and offered to take the drone down when they questioned it even though you didn't have to. Keep on flying your drone and I hope you don't have any further negative experiences, NIMBY is the correct term here and I wouldn't be surprised to find these people being unpleasant to any others they don't like either.

Some folks carry a copy of the regulations to educate the ignorant, but there is always the problem presented if your craft goes down unexpectedly. You may have the right to fly from a public path but may need to trespass to retrieve it. I would find another spot to fly and fly higher. At 121 meters moving slowly they might not even notice it.

Reactions: Porky
Thanks for the replies

Thought I was going mad as the UK is really a different place these days as the the one I grew up in.

My flying place is owned by the crown estates so I have a copy of the map with me at all times just in case I get approached by someone complaining. Shouldn’t need to do that but I’m just covering my back. @Palta may be worth looking into that where you fly, you never know, it might be owned by the CE (crown estates) they allow drone flying/metal detecting on their land and if your still not 100% sure you can give them a call. This is only for us UK dronies ;)

Reactions: old man mavic
I always launch from a nice and secluded spot, most of the time nobody even knows i'm there, best way, plus with the range etc on the Mavic 2 its so easy to just be well hidden if needed.

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
Here i have never had a problem, and have been flying regularly for over a year. Mainy fly over beaches and lakes but all i ever get is questions like cost, range, height etc.

<blockquote>When I asked about being on a public footpath I was curtly told I was permitted on THEIR land on a public footpath by their good will.</blockquote>
No, you are permitted on public rights of way, of which the least permissive is a footpath, by law.
Rights of way and accessing land

Lots of landowners dislike this law. Some, particularly farmers, with good reason as people abuse their rights and disturb farm animals with dogs, leave gates open, etc. Many townies abuse this by driving atvs or scrambling bikes on footpaths or bridleways. Some just object because they are objectionable.

Also, drone law is complicated. Most people don't understand it.

I've had 37 flights since owning my MP with most of these flights being in the UK (South East) and I must admit I've not had anyone yet approach me to complain.

Try and avoid being near people where possible, particularly when launching and landing it as this draws the most attention. Once in the air though, most people don't even notice it's there.

You are correct in that we are an overcrowded small island where everyone has the same idea to go to the park on a sunny day and most land is privately owned, so it's hard to have space to yourself when looking for somewhere to fly.

In most situations though people have been around me when I've been flying but it has been problem free so far. Some people stop to look, but it's mainly curiosity more than anything else.

It sounds like you were just unlucky on this occasion but don't let it put you off.

I am sorry to hear of your experience but as you will discover they have no right of ownership of the air over their property provided you are not spoiling their enjoyment of it (how would airlines operate!). Sounds like you did everything right - you were courteous and operated within the Drone code. In my experience you won’t win the argument so, as you rightly did, move on.
I have been asked to stop flying from a certain point on a path many a time. I simply move along and fly it anyway :) good luck

Strictly they DO rights of ownership over their airspace (assuming they were telling the truth about owning the land) but those rights
Hi all,

New to the Mavic space having purchased my Pro 2 a couple of weeks ago. Having had a very aggressive experience late this afternoon I just wondered how do people in the UK actually use this thing?

It was a beautiful late afternoon where I live (SE England), so I thought I'd quickly head out and get some captures of the sunset and a few Hyperlapses. I drove to rural area a few clicks from my house and after wondering down a footpath for a bit, quickly launched to capture the last half hour of sunlight fading.

After about 10 minutes - whilst the Mavic was capturing the images - I got super aggressively approached by Mr and Mrs NIMBY Boomer who very quickly started informing me of the law as they saw it. I said I was just photographing the sunset, the drone was at 230' altitude,well within line of sight and slowly moving to get a 20 second time lapse image.

They informed me that apparently ALL the land in the area was their's (no doubt inherited) and that I was breaking the law. I said I was sorry and that I was not within 1000' of either a building or people...they said they didn't care it was their land. The husband then went off on one about whether I would like it if they were taking photos in my house - all a bit surreal as I stood in the middle of a field surrounded by extensive woodland - again I just kept repeating I meant no offence and was simply photographing the beautiful sunset in the region. When I asked about being on a public footpath I was curtly told I was permitted on THEIR land on a public footpath by their good will.

I asked what if I walked backup 800m to the road (small almost disused country lane) and launched from my car, but again was told absolutely no flight over THEIR land was permitted.

So my question is, with every bit of this tiny island belonging to somebody, how on earth can I use this wonderful device in the UK - if this is the response I am to expect?

Cheers,

Strictly, under English Law, they DO own the airspace over their land.

But as a result of Statute Law
Hi all,

Cheers,
Strictly they DO own the airspace over their land but the because of the Aviation Act /Order deprives them of the right to take civil action against anyone using that airspace in accordance with that legislation.

Your right to use the airspace does NOT extend to taking off or landing on their land.

Assuming the path you were on was a public footpath ( ie shown on the definitive map of the highway authority) then your right to pass and repass on that footpath is not dependent on their permission even though they own the land. That right probably does not include a right to take off or land on the public footpath or indeed any other highway,

Reactions: jagraphics
These people would not have done well 75 years ago. I suspect the bomber flights to Germany were an everyday occurrence, everywhere. Did the people of that era mind? I think not. They were fighting for their way of life. Putting it in perspective, these people are pathetic!

I am also from the South East. Flew my Mavic Air at Whitstable from the beach last Saturday.
No problems. A few people around but nobody minded. I usually get interest from people rather than abuse.

Here i have never had a problem, and have been flying regularly for over a year. Mainy fly over beaches and lakes but all i ever get is questions like cost, range, height etc.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. whereabouts are you? I am also in the south east, and quite new to drone flying. Sorry to hear about your run in with the upper-crust ignorami. I am getting exactly the same vibes, ever since the Gatwick fiasco. The British public are being brain -washed to think all drone enthusiasts are terrorists, perverts, criminals or trespassers. The UK Government's knee-jerk reaction to the Gatwick farce was to rush in additional laws. with more restrictions on the way in November. I read a headline yesterday saying "Drone seen over railway line" - our hopeless rag trying to capitalise on the Gatwick non-story , with no evidence of any law being broken. I recently booked the course to become PfCO qualified (£1,200) to open my options to fly, but cancelled for four reasons: 1. It only allows you to get a bit closer to buildings and people. 2. Although it gives credibility to ask CAA permission to bend the rules, that request will cost another £1,750 plus an operational safety case. 3. I'm retired and don't really want to be a professional 4. If I do inadvertently break the law, a qualification will surely count against me. You are right, all UK land is owned by someone, but I understand you only need permission to take off and land. Having said that, many land-owners are successfully making their own laws on drones, including the National Trust, National Heritage, Nature Reserves, Parks and Local Councils. I really do think that drone flying will become nearly impossible in the UK before long, and that is the way the Government wants it.

You can not argue with these ignorant know all types so my reply to them if they continue to argue even if they are obviously wrong is simply " So tell someone who gives a ****"
Always works for me.

I fly on the Suffolk / Essex border, and publish my editied movies of local landmarks (not homes tho') on my YouTube channel, and then link those into the local village Facebook page. People have got to know me through that, and have even been shown some areas of the local county that they didn't know existed. I have had people come up to me when I'm flying, but so far, only showing interest in what I'm doing - and on one occasion, to ask if I'd take some photo's and video of their thatched cottage! I'm sure I've been lucky so far and will get somebody who wants to complain some time soon, but so far, by keeping away from people's homes, and publishing videos of what I do fly over - I'm managing to keep the local populace on my side ...

Thanks for the replies

Thought I was going mad as the UK is really a different place these days as the the one I grew up in.

I don't know if it's really changed that much as I've certainly been harassed by similar people over the years for using my camera and cycling despite the fact I wasn't doing anything illegal or disruptive.

Reactions: BossBob
I don't know if it's really changed that much as I've certainly been harassed by similar people over the years for using my camera and cycling despite the fact I wasn't doing anything illegal or disruptive.
It is getting strange tho' that people will hassle you about taking a video that makes them look as big as an ant with no distinguishing features, yet have absolutely no comment to make about facial recognition CCTV all over our major Cities, CCTV in every shop, and CCTV on every motorway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_