DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice Please. Mavic 2 Pro Mission - Go4 or Litchi?

scdronemedia

Reactions
Site
www.sc-drone-media.co.uk
Hi, I'm after some advice please. I have added a short video below to make clear what I am wanting to acheive (no music).
I am considering setting up a flight similar to below, except with the camera facing straight down and following the river with very little yawing of the drone so that all the 'S' curves (example at about 15secs) 'ripple' down the frame as the drone moves forward (I hope this is understandable), probably from about the same height.
At the end of the clip, to the upper left of centre you can see some grey farm buildings, and the total flight would be from the beginning of this clip to about 2000m past those buildings.
I could not do this in one flight without the use of Waypoints, as the total distance is about 4700m (as the crow flies); the flight below is about 1200m. The flight would not pass over any buildings or people and would cross one minor road.
Firstly, and most importantly, would Go4 be able to cope with this and give good results or would I be better purchasing Litchi?
Secondly, should I plan 2 flights instead, one to the minor road (about 2800m) from start and then move to that road and start a second mission?
I would be using the Mavic 2 Pro in 'P' mode, so would the battery cope with one single flight of this distance and have enough juice to safely return?
I am fairly new to this so would appreciate any advice.

Reactions: mereflyer
I'm not sure what you're looking to create. A timelapse maybe? Yes, Litchi may work for setting up the mission.

I'd use Litchi, it's intuitive and very smooth when set up with curved waypoints, I've not regretted buying it, and it adds another dimension to flying DJI products. Just set up a trial mission first..

Reactions: scdronemedia
I should mention I too have the Mavic 2. I use the Smart Controller... I used the Amazon App Store to purchase Litchi. I have loaded it on the SC as well as any other Android device I own and only had to buy it once. It's a great app that I don't use much because I stay in VLOS and like to fly manually.

I have an M2P and just started using Litchi. I tried using DJI Go4 waypoints once and quickly concluded that Litchi is superior. Litchi allows offline mission creation whereas Go 4 does not. As to the flight distance IMO it is marginal whether it can make it on one battery. Wind would make it more marginal. Lastly, traveling 3 miles away from the controller might make for an iffy connection not to mention the drone police will chastise you for flying way beyond VLOS. I would definitely do it in several separate flights.

Reactions: scdronemedia
I have an M2P and just started using Litchi. I tried using DJI Go4 waypoints once and quickly concluded that Litchi is superior. Litchi allows offline mission creation whereas Go 4 does not. As to the flight distance IMO it is marginal whether it can make it on one battery. Wind would make it more marginal. Lastly, traveling 3 miles away from the controller might make for an iffy connection not to mention the drone police will chastise you for flying way beyond VLOS. I would definitely do it in several separate flights.
I would add that Litchi allows you to resume a mission from any waypoint. So you could plan an entire mission, land, and resume at the next waypoint.

Thank you for your advice. I have purchased Litchi and set up the route which Litchi says is 7.8 miles in total (there and back) and would take 25 minutes. I have read somewhere that Litchi overestimates the time taken for missions. If I did run this, I would fly it on a windless day.

Reactions: Ken.
Can anybody name 1 feature that Litchi has, that waypoints does not?

Can anybody name 1 feature that Litchi has, that waypoints does not?

Operator control of the camera gimbal while the aircraft is taking care of the flying maybe?

I’ll be looking at Litchi myself for this very reason soon enough...

-=Glyn=-

I should mention I too have the Mavic 2. I use the Smart Controller... I used the Amazon App Store to purchase Litchi. I have loaded it on the SC as well as any other Android device I own and only had to buy it once. It's a great app that I don't use much because I stay in VLOS and like to fly manually.

I’d be very interested in the procedure required to install Litchi onto the Smart Controller if you could share or point to a resource please?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

In what regard? You can’t just say it’s better and then provide zero arguments.
I think that has been answered many times above.

I'll add one more, if you like. You can set up the mission on your PC, export the output to google earth, run the mission in real time (using the exact field of view of your camera), tweak gimble/flight angles until you get exactly what you want. It works flawlessly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy