DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aerial photography of wildlife

Chelli69

Reactions
I will be visiting Canada and doing a random road trip spanning Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario and using my Mavic 2 Pro to capture landscapes and wildlife presence.
Can fellow drone photographers advise me on what I am allowed to do.
Much appreciated.

Provincial parks are not included in that. National parks are however.

Are you 100% sure? Link below contradict your statement but it looks like it depends on province and law enforcing official. Personally I don't want to take any chances so I don't fly my drone in parks.

Provincial and national parks are no-drone zones:
'Postmedia reported that 26 warnings were issued to drone operators in Banff National Park. According to the park's External Relations Manager, Judy Glowinski, "all of them were unaware of the rules and regulations regarding drone use in the national parks."

Similar warnings were issued in nearby Kananaskis Country and in Calgary's Fish Creek Provincial Park

ABSOLUTLEY 100000000000 % Sure
Post media IS NOT the authority. Nor is a Drone Insurance company that has an incentive to scare people to get insurance.

Authoritative Source, Alberta Government. PROVINCIAL PARKS ACT

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P35.pdf

On Page 2

Interpretation
1(1) In this statute,
(a) “aircraft” means a device that is designed to carry one or more persons or objects through the air in powered or powerless flight;

When is the last time you sat on your drone?
If you do not carry an object with your drone then you comply.

O gave up trying to find the definition in the NATIONAL parks act for what an aircraft is, but I do recall that it is more broad and does include by verbiage, a drone. Wish I could find that gain.

HOWEVER, I did find the transport Canada page that does back up my claim.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/where-fly-drone.html

Top of that page, SPECIFICALLY STATES National parks, no mention of provincial.

Where to fly your drone
From Transport Canada

“No drone zones” are areas where it may be unsafe or illegal to fly your drone.

When you fly a drone for any reason you should generally not fly:

• around airports and aerodromes
  • in busy, populated areas
  • in national parks
  • over border crossings
You can only fly your drone in these areas for specific purposes by getting permission from Transport Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: mad monkey
I understand what you are saying but all depends on interpretation. Assuming the comment in my link are true then warning were issued in Alberta provincial park despite what Alberta PROVINCIAL PARKS ACT states. Furthermore, can camera on your drone be interpreted as OBJECT? It is not vital part of a drone as far as flying is concern and one may argue that drone is carrying object.
Law, regulations, legal acts are subject to interpretation and final results could be far from what one expected. I like to keep things simple so my drone and I stay away from parks :)

READ THE ARTICLE!

ONLY MENTION NATIONAL PARKS with WARNINGS

Postmedia reported that 26 warnings were issued to drone operators in Banff National Park. According to the park's External Relations Manager, Judy Glowinski, "all of them were unaware of the rules and regulations regarding drone use in the national parks."

Mention Provincial park areas, BUT NO DETAILS
Similar warnings were issued in nearby Kananaskis Country and in Calgary's Fish Creek Provincial Park.

If you look at that link I gave you before, the where to fly your drone, there is this section:
Order a “No drone zone” sign
“No drone zone” signs are available in various formats for airport, aerodrome, heliport and seaplane base authorities to post around the boundaries of their properties.

SO, just anyone can download it, post it, and that becomes enforceable? ( I am not talking about airports, heliports, etc..

I mean ANYONE can download this and put it up if they dont want drone around.

I'm sorry, I dont want any pot heads smoking around my house too, where is the sign that I can download and put up to tell them that?

They bought the land, nothing below, excluding all mines and minerals, and they sure as hell never bought the air above thier property.

Canada is so dumb, they put more regulations on toy drones than they did on the drug users and thier pot.

Thanks CANADA.

Where's my sign? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada