DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 or M2P For First Drone

jbone1072

Reactions
Hello All,

New to the forum. I have been researching drones for a few months now and had finally come to the conclusion that i would get the M2P. With the release of the Air 2 and the much lower price point, this has me second guessing which decision to make.

I plan on using the drone for both personal & business (Real Estate, weddings, etc.) To me, it still looks like the M2P is the superior drone. However, the new Air 2 now looks like the most bang for your buck. Any recommendations on which might be best?

Air 2 for first drone. I went M2P and I simply do not regret my decision. It does everything I want to do. And everything I don’t know how to do. But if I were buying a first drone right now I would buy the A2.

I bought the M2P a few weeks after it came out after weeks of research and realized it was revolutionary to what was in the market at the time.

For a first drone the Air 2 is a dream. Yes, you can go with the M2P and you won't regret it for sure but the Air 2 is an amazing drone (or is promising to be one) and quite unbelievable when it comes down to value for money. But, if you are not in a hurry, it may be wiser to sit on your money for a while and see if the Air 2 lives upto its promise.

For your first drone... I recommend second hand. You can crash it, learn from it, destroy it by accident for a reasonable price. Then, you can sell the extras. Once you're comfortable, you can THEN splash the cash and buy new. Just an opinion. I started with a Phantom 3 Pro and, once bitten, went for the Phantom 4 Pro (then mavic pro, mavic mini etc).

Air 2 is hard to pass up for it's price....

...but the only thing it can do over the M2P is 60fps4k and a couple extra minutes of flight time due to its reduced size.

And it lacks several important features that the Zoom/Pro are capable of and worth the extra cost:
-actual zoom lens when compared to zoom
-inferior camera/cmos size when compared to the M2pro, no advanced cam controls
-inability to hot swap between zoom cam/m2 hassleblad cameras if needed
-full obstacle avoidance cameras (it only has partial)
-3D mapping sensors (it has one less)
-interchangeable batteries like zoom/m2p
-decreased size/weight... good for carry/tight areas/battery life, but bad for wind resistance and handling
-reduced speed (top 42mph vs 47mph of mp2/zoom)
-controller (less features and no OSD like the standard Mavic 2 controller)

The activetrack 3.0 and POI 3.0 will likely be a silent update in the near future for the M2P/zoom, they were out showcasing them for Air 2 launch to increase sales, so it'll end up being same there.

Personally, I would not prioritize 4k/60fps (it's a very niche thing that nobodies really going to notice unless under specific circumstance) over more important features like camera quality, full obstacle avoidance system, and swappable camera types. But of course, those extra features of M2pro/zoom come at double the cost, and the air 2 does a good job of holding its own for half the price.

If you could find a good deal on a M2P or zoom bundle, even used but great condition, then I would go for that. If not... go for the Air 2.

Last edited:
Hello All,

New to the forum. I have been researching drones for a few months now and had finally come to the conclusion that i would get the M2P. With the release of the Air 2 and the much lower price point, this has me second guessing which decision to make.

I plan on using the drone for both personal & business (Real Estate, weddings, etc.) To me, it still looks like the M2P is the superior drone. However, the new Air 2 now looks like the most bang for your buck. Any recommendations on which might be best?
I too was in the market for my first drone and decided to wait and spec out the MA2. I was heavily leaning towards the Air at the great bundeled price of $699 at Best Buy but went with the MA2 with FMC. Figure it's better to learn on a much cheaper model than the MP2 before diving into higher end models. They seem similarly capable, so it was a pretty easy decision for me.

Seems to me that its more a choice of camera and price over capability of the drone. Both the Air2 and Mavic 2 pro are a breeze to fly. You mention weddings and real estate. If your into post production and editing and then id say the PRO. If your not all that into the post production then go with the Air 2 and save yourself $800.00

What you are using it for hands-down Mavic 2 pro or the Zoom would be nice. Cheaper price point to.

Where are you finding a Mavic 2 Pro at a cheaper price point than the Mavic Air 2? I have seen more than one mention of this in the past few days, yet have not actually seen a single 2 Pro cheaper than an Air 2.

I was looking at the Mavic 2 drones, within my budget I was looking at the Zoom, when the Air 2 fly more combo came out cheaper than I am seeing for used Mavic 2 Zooms, it was an easy choice. But, as I said I have seen more than one comment that the 2 Pro is cheaper, yet I am not seeing this anywhere, new or used. If I could find a Mavic 2 Pro cheaper than the Air 2 Fly More combo, I'd cancel my Air 2 order.

Reactions: InterstateP
Where are you finding a Mavic 2 Pro at a cheaper price point than the Mavic Air 2? I have seen more than one mention of this in the past few days, yet have not actually seen a single 2 Pro cheaper than an Air 2.

There isn't.

A lot of folks sadly trying to mislead others. I understand that they badly want a Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom at a significantly reduced cost and they want to try to say the Air 2 is somehow superior, so the pro/zoom models will or should drop drastically... but that's all bogus and flat out false.

The 2 pro/zoom will retain the pricing (either at MSRP or scheduled sales and promotions) as it has since launch. It may drop a little bit as we approach the inevitable Mavic 3 launch in the next several months, but that's simply to clear out inventory.

Neither the Zoom or 2 Pro will drop anywhere near the price point of the Air 2 until at least the Mavic 3 successors launch.

Air 2 is a great drone and a everyman "workhorse"... Clearly superior to the original Air and of course the mini. And it really puts some pressure on Autel and Skydio in the respective segment of blurring the prosumer line even more so. Hell, I heavily debated waiting for it over picking up a M2pro to save some cash. And it closes a gap closer to the high-end Zoom & 2 Pro... but it still trails them in most of the important keys that cannot be done without having a Zoom or 2 Pro. That is fact, no matter how much reviewers or Air 2 enthusiasts pretend that it's not.

Last edited:
Reactions: naiku
Thanks everyone. I think what I may do is go with the Air 2. Get my feet wet with that over the next year or so and then spring for the 3 Pro when it eventually comes out. The extra money saved when buying the Air 2 will come in handy to buy the 3 Pro.

Reactions: captaintrips
There isn't.

A lot of folks sadly trying to mislead others. I understand that they badly want a Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom at a significantly reduced cost and they want to try to say the Air 2 is somehow superior, so the pro/zoom models will or should drop drastically... but that's all bogus and flat out false.

The 2 pro/zoom will retain the pricing (either at MSRP or scheduled sales and promotions) as it has since launch. It may drop a little bit as we approach the inevitable Mavic 3 launch in the next several months, but that's simply to clear out inventory.

Neither the Zoom or 2 Pro will drop anywhere near the price point of the Air 2 until at least the Mavic 3 successors launch.

Air 2 is a great drone and a everyman "workhorse"... Clearly superior to the original Air and of course the mini. And it really puts some pressure on Autel and Skydio in the respective segment of blurring the prosumer line even more so. Hell, I heavily debated waiting for it over picking up a M2pro to save some cash. And it closes a gap closer to the high-end Zoom & 2 Pro... but it still trails them in most of the important keys that cannot be done without having a Zoom or 2 Pro. That is fact, no matter how much reviewers or Air 2 enthusiasts pretend that it's not.
Agree mostly re m2 Pro, but not Zoom. Air 2 beats the Zoom in most areas. Could change if the Zoom gets Apas 3.0 with added functionality due to additional sensors sides and top.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs