DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 to Mini 3 Pro - looking for thoughts

kevpuk

Reactions
Thinking about switching to the Mini 3 Pro from Air 2 - would appreciate thoughts, experiences, pros and cons etc.
For me, the main draw is the controller options, as I really like a one box solution that the built-in screen controllers offer, but I reckon the smaller form will be a boon too, when out on mountain bike rides.....

Thinking about switching to the Mini 3 Pro from Air 2 - would appreciate thoughts, experiences, pros and cons etc.
For me, the main draw is the controller options, as I really like a one box solution that the built-in screen controllers offer, but I reckon the smaller form will be a boon too, when out on mountain bike rides.....
I have both drones, but still enjoy Mavic Air 2, been a very reliable drone, and seems more steady in windy conditions. However I do like the the RC controller with the Mini 3 Pro and wish ( hope) that DJI would incorporate the MA 2 into the RC controller.

I've been on holiday in Poland for the last 2 week. I took my Air 2S and my Mini 3 Pro.

Times Mini 3 Pro has been in the air: 12
Times Air 2S has been in the air: 0

Make of that what you will.

Reactions: kevpuk
I have both drones, but still enjoy Mavic Air 2, been a very reliable drone, and seems more steady in windy conditions. However I do like the the RC controller with the Mini 3 Pro and wish ( hope) that DJI would incorporate the MA 2 into the RC controller.
Thanks for your input:)

My MA2 has been great, but I really would like the new controller! Can't help but think the M3P might be an unnecessary switch, but man maths has already started kicking in.....
I've been on holiday in Poland for the last 2 week. I took my Air 2S and my Mini 3 Pro.

Times Mini 3 Pro has been in the air: 12
Times Air 2S has been in the air: 0

Make of that what you will.
Ah, that is quite a compelling endorsement!

My MA2 has been great, but I really would like the new controller! Can't help but think the M3P might be an unnecessary switch, but man maths has already started kicking in.....

Did Poland have weight restrictions with the MA2s ? Is this why the mini 3 Pro was mainly used ? Just wondering as plannig a trip to Europe next year and weight seems to be a major factor for any Drone over 249g.

AusTrekie said:
Did Poland have weight restrictions with the MA2s ? Is this why the mini 3 Pro was mainly used ? Just wondering as plannig a trip to Europe next year and weight seems to be a major factor for any Drone over 249g.

They do, but I have an A2 qualification which allows me to fly in many more places with the Air 2S. I've mainly been out in the wilds though where it's largely irrelevant as there isn't anyone around.

I have both drones. And I likes my MA2 with anamorphic lenses with or without ND...And is true the MA2 can safely flight with strong winds. Obviously the camera and 249 grams are the reasons for buying the M3P but I never sale the Air2.
Best regards from Roquetas de Mar, Spain.

Well, Mini 3 Pro with RC controller and Fly More pack arrived.....batteries charged, firmware etc. updated and ready to fly when I get the chance in a couple of days.

Assuming all good, will get the Air 2 photo'd and up for sale.

Last edited:
I have an Air 2s and a Mini 3 and Mini 2...and I fly the Mini 2 and 3 more often, even though I enjoy the Air 2s more and I feel it is more stable and more resistant to winds. But it takes a little more time to set up and is heavier, so for my drone flights, which usually involve some hiking, I prefer to bring along a lighter drone. In those cases when I'm not walking far, I would use the Air 2s more.

I sold the A2 and bought the M3P. I concur with most of the comments, the M3P is way more portable and enjoyable IMHO due to low carry weight, possibility to charge on-the-go with a powerbank, by far less noisy so not attracting attention, no limitations in countries where restrictions apply, the controller is fantastic ( and easy to see under the sun, I thought it was worse) , similar autonomy, slightly better video quality, more functions .... What else?

Reactions: kevpuk
I sold the A2 and bought the M3P. I concur with most of the comments, the M3P is way more portable and enjoyable IMHO due to low carry weight, possibility to charge on-the-go with a powerbank, by far less noisy so not attracting attention, no limitations in countries where restrictions apply, the controller is fantastic ( and easy to see under the sun, I thought it was worse) , similar autonomy, slightly better video quality, more functions .... What else?
I disagree the M3P has better video quality than the A2S. The low light performance of the A2S is superior because of the bigger sensor, and having it shoot real D-log rather than cinelike is an advantage in post.

Autonomy? Nope, the A2S beats it for tracking by far, though you might not see that unless attempting to track something moving fairly fast. My tests were of a slalom waterskier at 34mph, the M3P simply can't do that, and the tracking starup process is hobbled by a compulsory tutorial video that costs you time even if you skip it. Just plain clumsy. The A2S tracking startup is immediate, positive, and stays locked. The MP3 will gradually loose the subject if it can't keep up (not even in sport mode) to faster subjects, and looses subjects at other times too. I lost the skier today in sun glare and had to fly manually in sport mode to catch up. I didn't save the shot though.

The advantages I experience in the MP3 are size, weight, flight time, shorter time from bag to air, and most of all, the controller screen. The A2S wins in speed, tracking, obsticle avoidance, image quality, and a slightly better "feel" in flight. If I had the A2S working with the DJI RC, it might be more of a go-to combo. I find the RC screen is the real deal breaker, can't see the dim phone screen well. Hopefully that will come soon. Until then I do grab the M3P more often.

Reactions: DynoTech
The Mini 3 Pro is definitely superior in low-light and night time video recordings. The 1.7 aperture more than makes up for the smaller sensor. I've done numerous tests with both. Air 2s can't come close, even using a noisy 6400 ISO setting.

Autonomy? Nope, the A2S beats it for tracking by far, though you might not see that unless attempting to track something moving fairly fast. My tests were of a slalom waterskier at 34mph, the M3P simply can't do that, and the tracking starup process is hobbled by a compulsory tutorial video that costs you time even if you skip it. Just plain clumsy. The A2S tracking startup is immediate, positive, and stays locked. The MP3 will gradually loose the subject if it can't keep up (not even in sport mode) to faster subjects, and looses subjects at other times too. I lost the skier today in sun glare and had to fly manually in sport mode to catch up. I didn't save the shot though.
Good point, I had track loss yesterday following a boat sailing around 15knots, the M3P fixed a gps point after a while, and I agree the battery consumption was very high in that part. I will test again. The software part can be easily be fixed with FW updates, I won't be too much concerned

The Mini 3 Pro is definitely superior in low-light and night time video recordings. The 1.7 aperture more than makes up for the smaller sensor. I've done numerous tests with both. Air 2s can't come close, even using a noisy 6400 ISO setting.
Good points, but there is some confusion, on both of our parts.

First, the Mini 3 Pro has a larger sensor than the Air 2S, not smaller (my mistake). However it's pixel count, on the surface, seems higher, which would seem to mean mean the pixels are smaller, thus collecting fewer photons, resulting in higher noise and worse low light performance. That would normally be a problem, but for two other factors. First, the lens is a stop faster. Not a lot, just one stop, but in the right direction. Second, there's clearly some processing going on, and we're not looking at just the raw pixels. You can see this by noting the way DJI specifies the resolution: "Effective Pixels: 48MP". What's an "effective pixel"? The result of processing raw pixels. So is the actual sensor resolution higher? I doubt it, it's probably close to the same, or less than the "real" resolution of the Air 2S, and more likely it's a processing trick to produce an "effective" higher resolution from fewer pixels. If that weren't true, the actual performance per pixel would be much worse than the Air 2S.

Then there's the actual pixel size. The Air 2S has 2.4um pixels, and while never stated in official DJI specs, it has been published that the Mini 3 camera also has 2.4um pixels. So, while the data is of questionable parentage, no real advantage there either way in terms of photon capture. However, if the pixel size is the same but the sensor is slightly larger, that means there are more of them, right? Oh boy, does this get confusing.

Because of the processing going on in the M3P, and the way DJI states the specs, it's really hard to tell what the actual pixel size and resolution of the sensor is. I would guess than the 12MP mode is telling us something, possibly that the raw unprocessed sensor is about 12MP, which would result in physically larger pixels, capturing more photons, and a true advantage in low light, but a slight disadvantage in unprocessed resolution. But hey, I'm all for less pixels and better low light, I wish we could do more of that in DSLRs, frankly. But again, image processing to the rescue.

So, larger sensor, fewer (but larger) pixels, faster lens, and image processing, and you've got your low light performance on the M3P.

The slight negative compromises are, you give up 5.4K video (not really a huge deal), and you give up actual d-log, and get cinelike instead, also probably not that big a deal.

So yes, the camera is better in low light, but that doesn't make it better in every way. I haven't seen any tests, and haven't done my own, to see just how good that image processing is. Most processing that has to happen fast enough for video has to be compromised, but I guess we'll see.

Good point, I had track loss yesterday following a boat sailing around 15knots, the M3P fixed a gps point after a while, and I agree the battery consumption was very high in that part. I will test again. The software part can be easily be fixed with FW updates, I won't be too much concerned
It's my current understanding that the tracking functions also include obsticle sensors in the algorithm. That, along with firmware, may affect accurate tracking. So there might be a hardware factor that impacts this. If not, I'm surprised there are any tracking issues at all with the M3P, but there most certainly are a few situations where it has issues.

One general tracking issue I have with both the A2S and M3P is that I really want to be closer to the subject. A 20' boat that's a tiny spot in the frame isn't really useful. But, since tracking is so dynamic, I'd like to be able to influence the flight a bit, move closer, move to the side, etc, at will. I haven't made that work yet on either drone, but I'm in the learning phase.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer