DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AIR 2s inside the Glaciers of Mount St Helens

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
When I was First Contacted by the Crew of the Scientific Expedition Team about the Wet Suits being used in there Expedition of the Volcano i was elated. I was Blown away really.

But than I had this vision of the AIR 2S with its Neon Color Wet Suit just melting in gobs and being sucked into the Vapors and the Vortex of a Black Inferno , and the reality set in . :oops:

The Wet Suit was in for a whole new Set of challenges that I had no clue about.

I knew no amount of Pouring rain or dripping water in a cave could take it down, but I was not sure about the Burning embers and extreme heat.

So I tested the Wet Suit with a Torch and it did not catch on fire and so I sent the Wet Suits out.
Little did i know fire was not the challenge. :eek:

Today I got this : Very cool.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2/S in the Rain or Fly thru Glaciers, Lol

Last edited:
When I was First Contacted by the Crew of the Scientific Expedition Team about the Wet Suits being used in there Expedition of the Volcano i was elated. I was Blown away really.

But than I had this vision of the AIR 2S with its Neon Color Wet Suit just melting in gobs and being sucked into the Vapors and the Vortex of a Black Inferno , and the reality set in . :oops:

The Wet Suit was in for a whole new Set of challenges that I had no clue about.

I knew no amount of Pouring rain or dripping water in a cave could take it down.
I had no idea about Extreme heat , or Burning Embers landing on the Wet Suit or it flying thu Fire would do to the Wet Suit , maybe it would comprise the drone in some way or melt the Wet Suit over the lens , which meant no sleep for me.

So I decided to just take a Torch to the Wet Suit on the Drone, , No matter how much I Torched it , it did not catch on fire nor did it do any real damage to the AIR 2S wet suit.

The downside was that the Power Plug melted and came loose from the pressure of the Torch , so that would be noted.

After the tests I felt more comfortable and released the Wet Suits on to there Journey what ever that might entail.
I was confident the Wet Suits were up for the Challenges it might face.

Pouring Rain /Snow / Hail / Fire / Burning Embers / the Wet Suit was ready to Protect the Drone.

Tonight they sent me this Picture : its very exciting what ever is happening and my Wet Suit is still intact . lol

I will update as more details are revealed .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2/S in the Rain or Fly thru Fire, Lol

View attachment 131703
Where is the picture they sent you?

Its should be in the Post, are you sure it not there ?

I reposted the Picture below:

screenshot_422.png

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

That was daring

Updated : Expedition was inside the Volcano in the Glaciers. Video posted above.

I'm just confused as to how burning embers and ice are in the same sentence much less the same volcano.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm just confused as to how burning embers and ice are in the same sentence much less the same volcano.
When the expedition team first contacted me , i was under the impression it was for a Volcano , I had no idea it was the glaciers , thus the reason for the testing I did before releasing the Wet Suits .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

When the expedition team first contacted me , i was under the impression it was for a Volcano , I had no idea it was the glaciers , thus the reason for the testing I did before releasing the Wet Suits .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Oh, so it wasn't a volcano after all?

Oh, so it wasn't a volcano after all?
If it's Mt Saint Helens then it's not like pouring lava or anything but it is technically active. Every 10 years or so it has a small dome building event but hasn't blown catastrophically since the early 80's. But it does have glaciers on it.

If it's Mt Saint Helens then it's not like pouring lava or anything but it is technically active. Every 10 years or so it has a small dome building event but hasn't blown catastrophically since the early 80's. But it does have glaciers on it.
Glaciers and a volcano. We'll I'd never have imagined...???

Glaciers and a volcano. We'll I'd never have imagined...???
Many, many volcanoes worldwide are glaciated (even some in the tropics!).

For example, Mt. Rainier, near Seattle WA, is covered with glaciers. It is ranked as the most dangerous volcano in the CONUS, with the potential to inflict incalculable damage across an area with millions of inhabitants. Much of that damage would come from lahars flowing away from the 'instantly melted' glaciers.

Today they posted the PBS special : It was awesome to see how the drones were used and why the Wet Suits were needed for the Project:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan