DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S - out of control behavior post a bump on home

Dougcjohn

Reactions
Was experimenting with the FLY App's features... more of a Go4 App & Litchi User.
Placed the target point on my homes roof, and tried them out.
Not bad... can change distance, speed & altitude while in mode. Then tried the Orbit, was experimenting with the slider for Speed.
Looked up and noticed getting close to roof's edge and held off touching stick to see if OA would lift... Nope... hit and slid down side of home.
Note: I wasn't positive if OA worked in these modes... and later realized they don't.

Broke 2 props but overall looked untouched, so took it back up to verify good and put it away.
Few days later, tried it again and it went crazy... flew at higher speeds than selected, seems to go hard right and didn't behave to flight controls consistently.
Couldn't see on screen any indications to cancel, flipping flight modes C/N/S didn't break out of programmed control.
Hit RTH, let it get 20 Ft above and took manual and hovered at 2 ft... then it suddenly again went hard right and hit the trucks tire.
Changed props and tried again... similar results but even RTH didn't seem to bring it home... flew in right circles to bring it down...then while landing it was performing small circles.

Closer examination... the Left Ft motor base to arm platform looks skewed... the air gap of seam is not uniform.
So I'm assuming the Roof strike damaged it... bent either motor or Arm's Mount... but it looks so minor in visual inspection.

Well, I guess I get to experiment with taking the DH Cert OFF and sending to DJI for Repair.
Then I'll see how it flies and how the DH Cert Reinstalls.

Last edited:
Was experimenting with the FLY App's features... more of a Go4 App & Litchi User.
Placed the target point on my homes roof, and tried them out.
Not bad... can change distance, speed & altitude while in mode. Then tried the Orbit, was experimenting with the slider for Speed.
Looked up and noticed getting close to roof's edge and held off touching stick to see if OA would lift... Nope... hit and slid down side of home.
Note: I wasn't positive if OA worked in these modes... and later realized they don't.

Broke 2 props but overall looked untouched, so took it back up to verify good and put it away.
Few days later, tried it again and it went crazy... flew at higher speeds than selected, seems to go hard right and didn't behave to flight controls consistently.
Couldn't see on screen any indications to cancel, flipping flight modes C/N/S didn't break out of programmed control.
Hit RTH, let it get 20 Ft above and took manual and hovered at 2 ft... then it suddenly again went hard right and hit the trucks tire.
Changed props and tried again... similar results but even RTH didn't seem to bring it home... flew in right circles to bring it down...then while landing it was performing small circles.

Closer examination... the Left Ft motor base to arm platform looks skewed... the air gap of seam is not uniform.
So I'm assuming the Roof strike damaged it... bent either motor or Arm's Mount... but it looks so minor in visual inspection.

Well, I guess I get to experiment with taking the DH Cert OFF and sending to DJI for Repair.
Then I'll see how it flies and how the DH Cert Reinstalls.
Falling from a rooftop is quite a fall for a drone. If it had been like 3-4 feet off the ground - then should have been fine - but 12-15+ feet is not typically good.

Hope you get the drone repaired and back in the air soon.

Falling from a rooftop is quite a fall for a drone. If it had been like 3-4 feet off the ground - then should have been fine - but 12-15+ feet is not typically good.

Hope you get the drone repaired and back in the air soon.
I'm considering just installing a Motor/Arm assembly myself. I'm a little hesitant if DJI would upgrade the FW to current... removing the option to use DH Cert on the craft.

Past repairs, I haven't noticed DJI touching the FW on various components repaired... I lean that they wouldn't update the Craft... but on chance they do... bummer.

Looks like it comes as a Arm Motor assembly, I'm more accustomed to M600 and Inspire 2 replacing just motor. Either way... looks to be under $100 to repair if on-board electronics weren't damaged.

Reactions: BigAl07
Dec 23rd
Created a separate post for Arm Replacements notes with a few photos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet