DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 - First Thoughts and A Question

StubbornSwiss

FAA Registered
Premium Pilot
Reactions
So.... after ordering, cancelling, and ordering again, my Air 3 has just been delivered (thank you B&H Photos for putting up with me)!

Coming from an Air 2S I fly with an RC Pro, my main concern was that the RC 2 would be a major 'downgrade' from from the RC Pro. Happily I can say that although smaller (and smaller screen) and not as 'robust' as the RC Pro, it looks to be extremely adequate, and I'm sure I will grow into it.

I have not yet flown it, as I have been doing the normal charging of batteries (thankfully my 100w charger just arrived as I was typing this), registering and updating everything. Hopefully I will get a flight in this evening, and will update this with further thoughts.

One question though.... where is the RID number to be found for this drone? I cannot find anything in the settings > About menu, as it is on the Air 2S

Finally, I have decided it is best to let my Mavic Air 2, Air 2S, and RC Pro go. Really no need to keep them. If an RC Pro 2 comes out that is OC4 compatible, I may opt to get it. We shall see.

Thanks for reading, and please let me know about the RID number.

Many thanks.

I also just went from 2S to 3. I'm nervous about the built in screen remote (smaller) AND as I post in this thread, the RED LINE that show return route home is missing - but I'm hoping someone will tell me how to enable that. I used a dedicated iPad Mini 6 on an elevated stand in the previous remote, hoping I won't miss that larger screen?

BUT I love the longer battery life (of course) and the ZOOM! and the range, Holy Cow! So far happy other than that critical missing red line showing the quick route back.

I got three shortish flights in - just around my neighborhood. Everything seems good so far. Yaw rate in normal mode seems a bit slow, even when cranked up to max in settings. Not a real issue.

But would someone please tell me when DJI is going to give us the option of imperial units in the Flight Data Center? Many of us have been going on about this for many years, but DJI just seems to ignore us!

Anyways..... so far I am liking the Air 3 AND the RC 2.

Oh... and I really think the DJI 100w charger is a must have!

Fly safe!

Reactions: KLRSKIR
Ive got a few hours on mine so far, zero issues.

Yaw rate is indeed somewhat slow, but minor.

More concerned with LOG-M not showing as REC2020 (HDR) and having to mess around with file details to set them to REC2020 individually before they are recognized as such by Premiere Pro, else they are seen and dealt with as 8bit files.

HLG does not appear to have this problem, but i am more familiar with LOG/LUT/RAW workflows.

This appears to be a DJI side oversight.

I see a black border on the RC PRO but think the actual viewable screen is the same but could tell better if turned on. With that i am done on this discussion.

Reactions: Gadgetdude
I see a black border on the RC PRO but think the actual viewable screen is the same but could tell better if turned on. With that i am done on this discussion.
You are correct Ken. The smart controller has a black border around the viewable screen(glass makes it look bigger but it is not). BOTH the Smart Controller and the RC/RC2 have the SAME viewable screen of 5.5 inches. The product page is correct.

You are correct Ken. The smart controller has a black border around the viewable screen(glass makes it look bigger but it is not). BOTH the Smart Controller and the RC/RC2 have the SAME viewable screen of 5.5 inches. The product page is correct.
For clarity, it's actually called the RC Pro, not the Smart Controller, which is an entirely different and now obsolete device.

Reactions: bonzo
I got three shortish flights in - just around my neighborhood. Everything seems good so far. Yaw rate in normal mode seems a bit slow, even when cranked up to max in settings. Not a real issue.

But would someone please tell me when DJI is going to give us the option of imperial units in the Flight Data Center? Many of us have been going on about this for many years, but DJI just seems to ignore us!

Anyways..... so far I am liking the Air 3 AND the RC 2.

Oh... and I really think the DJI 100w charger is a must have!

Fly safe!
It doesn't need to be the DJI 100w charger. It can be any USB C 65W charger or higher. You just need to make sure it provides 20.0V at 3.25A --> 65W which is what the battery charging hub is rated. I have a Highsay 100W which has the 65W output and it's charging each battery at about 45 minutes (from 10%-20% charge). It's the same charger I use for my HP laptop.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
It doesn't need to be the DJI 100w charger. It can be any USB C 65W charger or higher. You just need to make sure it provides 20.0V at 3.25A --> 65W which is what the battery charging hub is rated. I have a Highsay 100W which has the 65W output and it's charging each battery at about 45 minutes (from 10%-20% charge). It's the same charger I use for my HP laptop.

You are absolutely correct.

I still think the DJI 100W charger is a must have!

"I still think"..... just my opinion.

Stay safe!

Reactions: KLRSKIR and Torque
I already had a 100W charger so was not going to spend the money to buy a DJI one just to have the name brand. I did purchase a 65W one to charge slower and possibly make the batteries last longer. Plus i usually don't need them charged until the next day. If i need them charged faster i have that option too.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
Buy the DJI charger if you like, but it is way overpriced.

Couldn't agree with you more! Just like so many other things out there.

But I still got it. And still think its a must have.

Oh... and by the way, 'overpriced' is relative!

Sure. And it's not obscenely so. However you can get a better 100W for half the price. That's the reason for my comment.

Still, the convenience of getting it all at once with the drone purchase has value, and certainly may be worth the price premium to some customers. That's entirely subjective, and pretty much beyond any reasonable criticism.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

I appreciate your kindness. Hope you did too.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne