DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air obstacle detection: Behaviour with glass

MrSpok

Reactions
The Mavic Air has obstacle detection at the front, rear and bottom and also stops in front of an barrier.
This works even with partially transparent obstacles such as a fence. I've already seen an YT video where it was tested.

But what about glass? So e.g. a closed glass door or a window? Does it recognize this and stop it before it touch?
Or (which I'm afraid) would it fly against glass because it's not detected?

Has anyone some experience with that?

Forward and rear sensors are simply cameras. If there is enough for a camera to "see", it will work, If not, it won't. For glass, this would be some type of reflection. So, highly doubtful.

The Mavic Air has obstacle detection at the front, rear and bottom and also stops in front of an barrier.
This works even with partially transparent obstacles such as a fence. I've already seen an YT video where it was tested.

But what about glass? So e.g. a closed glass door or a window? Does it recognize this and stop it before it touch?
Or (which I'm afraid) would it fly against glass because it's not detected?

Has anyone some experience with that?

I've not tested it to see how good it is but, as it's an entirely optical based system rather than some an active scanning tech like LIDAR or similar, unless the glass was particularly reflective in the direction of the object detection camera it's probably going to crash straight into it.

Given the warnings in the manual over flying too close to clear, reflective, and/or uniform surfaces I'd guess it's taking the images from the cameras, then running a high-contrast filter/edge detection algorithm on them to try and ID the boundaries of any collision hazards, so clear glass would be very hard to detect.

yeah, just go try for yourself. let us know!
you dont have to go full out, just fly towards a clear window/door and when you get as close as a few feet see if the sensors start to alert or not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54